Woodward Avenue Updates

Allan

Technically, the building that house's Olso isn't part of Lofts @ Woodward. They haven't had a lot of look with their retail spaces. Hopefully that changes as Merchant's Row fills up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the lofts at woodward has an athletic express and J-bees

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This is a completely separate development from Merchant's Row.

Directly across the street, the old TB Rayl Building has new red awnings

eastern_wig.jpg

And just a few doors to the north, they are doing some work on the Himelhoch's facade. They took down the letters last week. I was very disappointed when they removed the letters on the Washington Boulevard side.

himelhoch.jpg

Baldy,

JC Beal's name is popping up more and more. They are doing the Broderick, Book, Como's, and 1403 Woodward...it wouldn't surprise me if they are doing some others too.

Allan, that was me. :)

It really is unfortunate they took down the letters on the Himelhoch Building. The gold-colored letters gave the facade the extra class. A few questions about it, is it's main entrance on Washington or Woodward? I can't seem to picture it's entrance on Washington for some reason.

Also, I knew they were renovation T.B. Rayl, but who's doing it, and what does the plan entail?

Woodward is really starting to look like a great urban street again.

Mojo,

It is the red building in the first post.

LMich,

Opps, you're right, that was you. I guess that's what I get for trying to do way too many things at once. It's been an incredibly hectic last two days. So much to do, so little time!

Is the main entrance on Woodward or Washington? Good question...I have no idea. The promenade goes the entire length through the building. Because the building was built in 1901, I suspect that the main entrance was intended to be on Woodward. Washington still had houses on it in 1901.

I have no idea what the plans for T.B. Rayl include. I think it is just facade improvements/restoration at this point. The upper floors are used as storage.

This is a completely separate development from Merchant's Row.

I was told that Schostak is still in the bidding on this building. I think the deal with Schostak getting the 1403 building to add onto the LoMR hinges on them being able to buy the building building next to it (peppers shoes retail). That would bridge the gap between the two LoMR blocks.

There have been rumors of plans to put in a cross-walk over Grand River in the event that they are able to buy the building. I also heard that the facade improvements have been planned for a long time, regardless of a buyer. Remember, this is just what I have heard, so take it for what it is worth.

J

Interesting. I could see them adding the building to Merchants Row even though it was not part of the original plans. I know the people who have owned the 1403 Woodward Building have owned it for decades and live in New York. Pepper's Shoes is owned by some people from California. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Schostak tried to get Pepper's Shoes when they initially did the Merchants Row deal, but they couldn't get the owners to sell.

It's been a while since I've had the chance to walk down woodward and was wondering on the progress / non-progress of a couple things.

What's going on with Ben & Jerry's which was supposed to go in the Compuware building in June? Is the sign still on the window?

How is the merchant's row retail coming along? Is anything ready to be opened soon? What's all going in there? Porcher's breakfast place, a clothing store, spa, what else?

How is the leasing in the LOMR doing?

What ever happened to the Fyfe shoe's building? There used to be a sign on it that said it was going up for auction, but the last I saw, it was gone. Also it looks like the progress on the ground floor bar stopped.

How's the progress on the Vinton building? I heard the condos were all sold, but I haven't really seen much going on, but then again I haven't been down there much the last 2 months and only go on weekends.

BTW, thanks Allan for updating and reviving this thread! It's good to see progress in D, all be it slow progress, it's still progress.

1. Ben & Jerry's is open.

2. The car rental place, the furniture store, the breakfast place, and the day spa are all currently under construction.

3. I have no clue...I will have to ask around on that one.

4. Proof is still under construction in the Fyfe Building. I didn't see them working yesterday, but they were working on Monday.

5. The Vinton Building deal will close by mid-September, clearing the way for construction to begin.

Ok, now we have an answer to Baldy's 3rd question....

From today's Free Press

Bob Schostak, a Southfield-based partner in the Merchants Row project, said Wednesday the development now has 110 signed leases out of 157 available apartments.

The same article also says that a grocery store will be opening in the Lofts by the end of the year. The main focus, however, is the new CVS pharmacy that we've known about for a year.

http://www.freep.com/realestate/renews/cvs1e_20050901.htm

I live in LoMR, and as such I see alot of the progress along woodward on a daily basis. I will try to update the forum when something new happens.

For now:

They recently knocked down a wall inside the parking garage on the corner of woodward and grand river to make room for a pass-through entrance into the parking garage.

There has been a rumor of a car wash going up somewhere in the area, dont know where though.

I talked to the person who owns the block accross from the 1200 block (currently an underground garage) and he has plans to build a pyramid shaped art gallery, as well as another building. I am not sure what the size will be on either building.

There is talk of another club/bar going up in one of the retail spaces under the lofts at woodward center, not sure which building though.

That is it for now, I will snap some pics of anything new that pops up.

btw...I am new to the forum, I think you guys are doing a great job! This is one of the places I would check often to find out what type of new development was happening in Detroit while I was considering moving downtown. Now that I am living down there I am hoping that I can provide some useful info.

J

I live in LoMR, and as such I see alot of the progress along woodward on a daily basis.  I will try to update the forum when something new happens.

For now:

They recently knocked down a wall inside the parking garage on the corner of woodward and grand river to make room for a pass-through entrance into the parking garage. 

There has been a rumor of a car wash going up somewhere in the area, dont know where though.

I talked to the person who owns the block accross from the 1200 block (currently an underground garage) and he has plans to build a pyramid shaped art gallery, as well as another building.  I am not sure what the size will be on either building. 

There is talk of another club/bar going up in one of the retail spaces under the lofts at woodward center, not sure which building though.

That is it for now, I will snap some pics of anything new that pops up. 

btw...I am new to the forum, I think you guys are doing a great job!  This is one of the places I would check often to find out what type of new development was happening in Detroit while I was considering moving downtown.  Now that I am living down there I am hoping that I can provide some useful info.

J

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought the land across from the 1200 block ("Woodward block" of the Campus Martius project) was owned by the city. I have also heard that plans will be announced for the Woodward block fairly soon though.

First of all, welcome to the forum Jerald.

Speaking of clubs - downtown could use more of those. It might be a misconception by myself, but it seems like that is one area that is really lacking downtown.

I'd really like to hear more about the Woodward Block plans.

Archived