Woodward Avenue Updates

Allan

It's frustrating, but if they're like me (someone who's grown up post-destination Detroit) and look at it from the standpoint that I do of staying and working towards what is desirable then it won't be that bad.
What do you mean by "post-destination Destroit"? That's term that I've never heard of before.

As I've stated in private conversation elsewhere, I sincerely hope these problems with gasoline and the oil industry turn into Metro Detroit realizing how damaging our development ethic is and reimplimenting some of the things that we've lost both within ourselves and our region.

Yes, well the day Detroit stops catering to the auto industry... ;)

And there is no Meijer in the city proper, but you might try the one in Southfield.

Ah. <_<

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean by "post-destination Destroit"? That's term that I've never heard of before.

As is, post-"Let's go to Detroit for a better life."

Yes, well the day Detroit stops catering to the auto industry... ;)

Ironically, the auto industry is promoting the idea, it's the politicians who can't be bothered to think regionally that are screwing us over... Oh how I long to take a train down Woodward and then down Jefferson Ave.

WS

As is, post-"Let's go to Detroit for a better life."

Ah.

Ironically, the auto industry is promoting the idea, it's the politicians who can't be bothered to think regionally that are screwing us over... Oh how I long to take a train down Woodward and then down Jefferson Ave.

Hmm. I've not heard any thing from the auto industry re: public transportation other than token pr spins. I can't believe that there wouldn't be more serious discussions on public transportation going on if the auto industry were truly behind the idea.

Could you provide references? I'd be really interested to learn. Thanks!

They gave me price of $75/month to park at the attached garage at the LoMR when I took a tour of the units a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if that' just for the residents, but perhaps they realized that they needed to lower the price.

Meijer? Is there a Meijer in Midtown? My bosses live in Woodbridge and we always talk about how we wish there were good grocery stores near by. Perhaps I need to let them know.

Yah, $75/month I guess is what they figured was the lowest they could go and still turn a profit. I guess it makes sense since they have to operate a garage with 2 huge elevators that can handle large SUVs. If a person had a second vehicle, I believe the cost is $100/month. If that was NY of Chi, I'd assume that would be reasonable, if not cheap. :)

There is no Meijer in the city. From my understanding, they are against locating in the city. I tried to use that as an example of what might not be good about living downtown. Lack of basic services and the like. I usually go to the Madison Heights Meijer, sometimes to Southfield, and rarely to the one in Taylor like I did yesterday (cuz I wanted to drive over the new I-94 bridge). I know, I'm a dork.

On the other hand, there is a Spartan Store on the west side of the Lodge Fwy on Warren in that little plaza. I'll go there for odds and ends, as well as the CVS (Warren & Beaubien) which is a short 5 minute walk for me.

Ah.

Hmm. I've not heard any thing from the auto industry re: public transportation other than token pr spins. I can't believe that there wouldn't be more serious discussions on public transportation going on if the auto industry were truly behind the idea.

Could you provide references? I'd be really interested to learn. Thanks!

There was an article a while ago in either one of the papers that talked about Deiter Zeche (sp?) and his acknowledgement of the importance of mass transit for his company and its presence in this region. And as we all know, he is (was) out in BFE (Oakland County). Too bad he had to leave for Germany. I wish I had time to find the article, but some google searching might help. :)

On the other hand, there is a Spartan Store on the west side of the Lodge Fwy on Warren in that little plaza. I'll go there for odds and ends, as well as the CVS (Warren & Beaubien) which is a short 5 minute walk for me.

Yeah, I've been there before. It's not bad. Actually Meijer isn't something to get too excited over either, I guess. It would have been a nice alternative. And sometimes, that's all that's needed to make it seem that much better.

There was an article a while ago in either one of the papers that talked about Deiter Zeche (sp?) and his acknowledgement of the importance of mass transit for his company and its presence in this region. And as we all know, he is (was) out in BFE (Oakland County). Too bad he had to leave for Germany. I wish I had time to find the article, but some google searching might help. :)

Actually I read that article and I thought it was nice of him to say such things. But I also knew that he was leaving to take on Mercedes Benz and he's an exception among the execs in this area, not the norm. I was also heartened by the United Way ads he did before he left. But again, he's now gone and his European sensibility as well.

I'd feel much better when SEMCOG can actually get some real attention on some of their projects.

Hey Jin Kim,

Welcome to the forum. As far as the loft prospects in downtown, I am currently living in LoMR, and I love it. I also looked at the Lofts @ Woodward Center and the Kales, and I like LoMR the best.

Michi, I agree with you regarding the parking situation at LoMR between the 1200 and 1400 blocks. I was stuck with that same dilema when I moved in. The only 1 bedroom units that they had available that were the size I was looking for were in the 1400 block, which kinda sucked because I did not want to walk from the garage. Here I am though several months later, and I cant think of one time that I have been "inconvenienced" by walking from the garage. Although with that said, I really wish they had some of the larger floor plans in the 1200 block, like they do in the 1400, because the 1200 is really where I wanted to be (closer to CMP).

Regarding parking, I am not sure if you guys are speaking with the wrong person @ LoMR, or if I just got a really good deal, but I have a 13 month lease, and I pay 1$ per month of my lease for one vehicle, which equals out to $13 for 13 months! Like I said, it might be because they were running a deal at the time. It also might be because of the unit I got. I know that about 95% of the people I talk to have a studio or small one bedroom in the LoMR, whereas very few people have one of the larger units, so maybe that is the reason for the price break, I do not know.

Hey Jin Kim,

Welcome to the forum. As far as the loft prospects in downtown, I am currently living in LoMR, and I love it. I also looked at the Lofts @ Woodward Center and the Kales, and I like LoMR the best.

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback! I'm looking forward to being more active, learning from all of you more about the city and perhaps even contributing some useful information from time to time.

Regarding parking, I am not sure if you guys are speaking with the wrong person @ LoMR, or if I just got a really good deal, but I have a 13 month lease, and I pay 1$ per month of my lease for one vehicle, which equals out to $13 for 13 months! Like I said, it might be because they were running a deal at the time. It also might be because of the unit I got. I know that about 95% of the people I talk to have a studio or small one bedroom in the LoMR, whereas very few people have one of the larger units, so maybe that is the reason for the price break, I do not know.

I should have been clearer. It was $75/month for units in the 1200 block. They were still promoting $1/month for the 1400 block. Like you, I prefer to be in the 1200 block, so I wasn't even thinking about the 1400 block. Anyhow, she said that was until end of Sept., though I have a feeling they're just going to continue offering all of those promotions. There were also some breaks on rent as well.

Another thing that I liked about LoMR is that it's $60/month for all utilities (minus electricity, though including A/C). Oh and $35/month for shared T1 access is pretty good, too.

It's probably the best deal out of L@W, LoMR and Kales. But none of the unit grabbed me... well one unit sort of did, but it's bit more than what I wanted to spend.

Another thing about LoMR is that I had called and left messages 3 times (why nobody answered the phone during early business hours is beyond me) without anyone returning my call. It took me sneaking into the building to see someone at the leasing office to get someone's attention - they seemed confused when I mentioned about my leaving messages, BTW. Even then, it took them 10 minutes to just find the appointment book. Then they asked me bunch of questions which I felt were inappropriate. When I showed up at my appointment, nobody seem to know that there was someone coming to see the apartments.

The whole experience didn't feel right and though the lady who showed me the units did a good job in the end, it still left me with a bad taste. I just got this feeling that they don't have it all together there and you'd think they'd have it down by now.

Anyhow, I still haven't made up my mind and I may still end up at the LoMR. But I think I'm going to do a bit more shopping.

jerald, if you don't my asking, have you had to call the management for anything since you've moved in? If so, what's been their responses been like? How long have you lived there?

I have some news on the 1403 Woodward building. Apparently the plans for "luxury" condo units with retail/office below 3rd floor is moving forward. And yes, it's straight to condos for purchase, not rent for now then convert to condos later like the others.

So expect to see a bit of activity on that building in next week or two. I think selling to LoMR is out of the question at this point.

The $1 for parking at LMR is amazing! I've never heard of that before. I'm assuming that they probably ran into fair housing issues by offering $1 parking to 1400 residents and not 1200 residents, so maybe that is why you were included in the special too.

When I worked there we had a stellar team. I worked for some really high achieving girls and 2 really good property managers. We kicked butt getting the property leased and were on top of EVERY customer. Supposedly, all the people I worked with are all gone now except for Debbie (who's like my mom) so I'll have to get down there and see her soon.

Hope everything works out well for you all who choose Merchants Row!

jerald, if you don't my asking, have you had to call the management for anything since you've moved in? If so, what's been their responses been like? How long have you lived there?

I dont mind you asking at all. I have had to call management several times, and they have been helpful.

I called because of some "shoddy" work by the construction crew (they didnt put any molding around my kitchen island). And also because they put the wrong size doors on one of my cabinets in the kitchen (too small). Both are just stupid mistakes that the construction peeps should have noticed. Anyways, they did fix the prob with the molding, but have not fixed the cabinet doors yet. I am not too concerned because those problems are costmetic. They responded very promptly to the "real" issues, like if your AC goes out or something like that.

To this point, I have not had any problems.

To this point, I have not had any problems.

That's great to hear. I plan on making few more visists to the area apartments in the next month before deciding. I also thought I might look into one of the condo developments as well - though I'm not sure if I want a mortgage.

Thank you for your feedback!

^I'm sure it will! Another restaurant to anticipate is the Woodward down at Woodward and Gratiot in the Compuware Building. Should be opening in the near future.

Also, did any of you guys notice the Fowler Building has a condo-sales ad up in their window? The Fowler Building is next to Merchants Row and next to (south) The Breakfast House. GREAT NEWS indeed!...and to be condo from the get-go even better.

Michi, the Fowler Building was discussed here. I wonder how many more have been reserved since then? It sounds like interest in the building has been high.

JC Beal has started demolishing that crappy facade on 1403 Woodward within the last couple of days.

I don't have a photo off hand, but it's not much. It's mostly ugly tile that has been painted over and a whole lot of plywood. The demo guys told me that they'll be there a month, so it sounds like they'll be pretty much gutting the whole building.

Nope. I said that ownership was supposed to have been transfered by mid-September. Transfer of ownership is one roadblock, but now there are others to clear. I'm not sure exactly when they plan to begin construction.

Archived