Woodward Avenue Updates

Allan

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I prefer neon signs (though I'm not sure if they're acutally neon anymore.) Besides the ones along Broadway the best one in my opinion--and experience--was the sign over the entrace of the Central Camera Co. on S. Wabash Ave. in Chicago. I absolutely love that place and got into a long conversation once with one of the owners about the past and Life magazine and what not. He also explained that the company had been in the family for I think a century. He then pointed overhead and showed me the stain where the acid (or something) from the old sign had worn into the building. But I think they were going to have it restored. Just lovely. I would pass by it on my way to Marshall Fields as often as I wanted.

WS

I also noticed alot of work being done inside the 1403 building within the last few days. I was actually fairly suprised/amused at the demo. They had the sidewalk blocked off this AM and there were people going to town with sledge hammers. That was in the front of the building, on my way to my garage I stopped and peeked in the side door which was propped open, and they were doing the same thing in there, so it looks like they are clearing out the whole ground floor, not just the front (facade area).

Yeah, everything that's on the ground floor is coming out as part of the retail readiness program. I guess I should've been more specific....

They do only have a four-man crew working though...they said it will take about a month.

Well more good news for this area. When checking out the 1403 building this morning, I noticed that the gate on the peppers shoes building was open. I peeked inside and ended up in a conversation with a contractor. He was there to bid on some work for the building. Apparently the DDA just "aquired" the building, and they are now hoping to get work started within the next few weeks!

Well more good news for this area. When checking out the 1403 building this morning, I noticed that the gate on the peppers shoes building was open. I peeked inside and ended up in a conversation with a contractor. He was there to bid on some work for the building. Apparently the DDA just "aquired" the building, and they are now hoping to get work started within the next few weeks!

Good to hear that DDA has control of that building.

Wow...not sure if anyone has seen 1403 within the past day, but they are tearing that thing apart! I hate to say it...but it looks much better now that it is 1/2 demo'd, maybe I am just saying that because I am excited for the renovation....

A few questions that are probably off-topic...forgive me.

Does anyone know what the two taller buildings are on the SW corner of 75 and Woodward? They look abandoned, Is there any word if they will be renovated or redeveloped? There are 4 or 5 large empty lots there that I would love to see the city "give some love to".

What was the "house of nine"? Anyone know?

^Are you referring to the Northwest corner of 75 and Woodward? If so, that is the Motown Building. Plans are calling for it to be the main museum for Motown Music. South of the freeway is the Hockeytown Cafe and Ilitch's fugly Foxtown Parking Garage.

I thought I remember someone at some point in time telling me that House of Nine was a club in the 70s.

No the house of nine was a women's clothing store

The building closest to freeway housed Motown's corportate HQ when they outgrew Hitsville in the mid-60's.

Honestly, I've never liked that site for a museum I'd much rather see that building and the surrounding the land mixed-use capactiy. The cultural center is better since it's central our other cultural attractions, but there aren't really any good places to put it . The best thing city could do is take a page from Chicago and locate on the east riverfront giving a marquee tourist attaction.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if it is feasible, but I think it would be cool to see a building with a couple different heights/facades. I think that is what makes woodward and LMR look so facinating. It gives a feeling of density and variety. Though I'm sure we'll end up with something similar to One Kennedy Square, considering who's working the deal right now.

Not neccesarily. I believe the plans for Hudsons are for a mixed use development that will have retail. Whether or not its a huge name or department store isnt known yet, but if it isnt it wont be the end of the world. Ive read that downtowns retail hopes lie with smaller stores at this point. There isnt enough data to show these larger retail shops that downtown can take consumers away from the suburbs. What kind of retail would you like to see downtown anyways? Would a giant target store satisfy you or would you like something more upscale? That also is an issue because Detroit is not going to draw any upscale retailers right now.

Archived