Woodward Avenue Updates

Allan

Want to pull retail downtown, and people by the hundreds...three words: Watertower Mall, Chicago. Build something so large that people come from all over the region to spend time there. Though it would never survive right now, I think an urban mall is a viable option for future development.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Macy's or a Bloomingdale's would be ideal. A Sear's or Penney's would work as well. An urban mall with one of these retailers as an anchor would put downtown back on the retail map.

I swear there was discussion of a downtown Macy's at one point recently. But I would find it hard to believe they would build another store in the Metro area.

Just as an update to 1403 and 1413 Woodward.

1403 has had the ground floor area completely gutted, but I have not noticed a whole lot going on since last week.

1413 (peppers shoes) Does indeed have scaffolding up (as Allan had mentioned earlier). There were people in there yesterday working on the inside, and when I walked by @ 3:30am this morning, there were still people working in there. Yesterday durring the day there were a few people powerwashing the front of the building, and chipping away the black tile that spreads up the facade to the second floor.

Just as an update to 1403 and 1413 Woodward.

1403 has had the ground floor area completely gutted, but I have not noticed a whole lot going on since last week.

1413 (peppers shoes) Does indeed have scaffolding up (as Allan had mentioned earlier). There were people in there yesterday working on the inside, and when I walked by @ 3:30am this morning, there were still people working in there. Yesterday durring the day there were a few people powerwashing the front of the building, and chipping away the black tile that spreads up the facade to the second floor.

Thank goodness they're getting rid of that black tile stuff. That stuff is ugly as sin. Does anyone have any idea what's going to go in either 1403 or 1413? Also, I've been out of town for about a month, can anyone PLEEEASE post some pictures of the new / ongoing developments downtown (Post Bar, Y, Opera house deck, ...). I'll buy anyone who does all the tacos they can eat (If you come before I leave here) lol.

Thank goodness they're getting rid of that black tile stuff. That stuff is ugly as sin. Does anyone have any idea what's going to go in either 1403 or 1413? Also, I've been out of town for about a month, can anyone PLEEEASE post some pictures of the new / ongoing developments downtown (Post Bar, Y, Opera house deck, ...). I'll buy anyone who does all the tacos they can eat (If you come before I leave here) lol.

1403 is supposed to be "luxury" condos (I use the term luxury loosely, it seems everything that is being built downtown has the term luxury tagged onto it). It used to be boarded up, but within the past two weeks some demo crews have been in there tearing the first floor apart.

I heard 1413 is also supposed to be "luxury" condos, but I am not sure what the details are surrounding that project. I personally think that this is one of those projects (and possibly 1403) that the city initiates to clean up the facade of the building in time for super bowl, but the building itself could stay abandoned for a while, but that is all just my opinion.

I will see if I can get some pictures, I thought I could just upload my pics, but apparently this forum is html only, so I need to link em. Once I find somewhere out there to post the pics, I will start putting em up here.

The post bar has been a long time mystery to me. I grew up in Mt. Clemens, and so when someone says Post Bar, I think of the posts in Mt. Clemens, Novi, Auburn Hills. I keep hearing about a "post bar" downtown, and even though I live down here, I have never seen it. So I am far from an authority on what is going on there.

The Opera House parking deck is now open, and even though we have a ton of em downtown, I think this deck looks really nice. The one thing I am not sure on, is the side of the deck that faces broadway (directly across from the Y). That part is not finished yet, and I am not sure what is going there...does anyone know? It looks like it could support some retail.

The Y is pretty much done, I think they are still aiming for thier open date of December (I actually am considering joining, as living within walking distance to so many great places to eat has left me out of shape :D ). When I walked by there yesterday, it looked like they were opening up the fenced-off area where the parking lot is (runs along John R). I also noticed some landscaping was being done in that parking lot, so I am sure that will be opening up soon.

Other things happening on Woodward:

- It looks like The Breakfast Club/Grill is always hopping, especially on Sundays. They have valet now...

- The AVIS that is located in the LoMR garage is now open.

- The 1001 Woodward garage looks like it is coming along. I had not been down that way in a few weeks, and when I walked by yesterday I was suprised w/the progress. I am not sure when it will be finished, nor am I sure when that CVS will go in there (I cant wait for that!). I personally believe that this garages completion (and therefore the retail that will come w/the garage) will be instrumental in helping to start the "clean-up" of capital park, as it is so close. I would like to see the clean-up spread down state st. (wishful thinking?).

- There is a small two story building on the E side of Woodward (Around 3-4 buildings N of Grand River) that looks like it is going to be renovated. This morning a crew put up a wood barricade on the front, with some large doors so that work trucks and vans could get inside.

Mojo, I love Tacos. I am going to take you up on that offer (btw, I hold the world record for most tacos consumed by a human, so you are in for a huge bill :D )

The post bar has been a long time mystery to me. I grew up in Mt. Clemens, and so when someone says Post Bar, I think of the posts in Mt. Clemens, Novi, Auburn Hills. I keep hearing about a "post bar" downtown, and even though I live down here, I have never seen it. So I am far from an authority on what is going on there.

It's next door to the Broderick in the Madison building it was supposed to become Post second downtown location.

It's next door to the Broderick in the Madison building it was supposed to become Post second downtown location.

U know, that is where I thought it was located, but I was not sure. So is there any info on this bar? Another forum thread that I missed perhaps? I love that area of Broadway, with Small Plates, the and the DBC. Completing this bar would be huge for that area IMO!

U also said something about it being thier "2nd downtown location". Where is the first? Are these bars affiliated w/the other post bars out in the subburbs?

The Post Bar at Broadway will probably not be a Post Bar. It will be a bar though. That's ok...there's always the Post Bar down on Congress.

I was pleasantly surprised to see 1413 Woodward in the daylight today...all the original details were hidden behind that crappy Pepper's Shoes sign. It was also nice to see the cool Art Deco facade uncovered at 1213 Woodward.

Regarding the Hudson's site, I think mixed use is probably the best option. I think a large residential component would be appropriate. Retailers follow demographics. Until there is more population density in the CBD and surrounding neighborhoods, it is a tough sell to attract many of the major retailers let alone simply support the small businesses we already have.

The leasons learned from other revitalized urban areas throughout the country is to focus on residents. With a solid demographic base, retail will follow.

True, but it is a very "chicken/egg" argument. You have to have VERY good amenities included in housing if an area lacks retail. Only small demographic is willing to sacrafice retail just to live in a center city which is why the going is going to be slow for years until a critical mass is built which will support retail. It takes the first "urban pioneers" to get the ball rolling. Fortunately, I think this is happening.

I was kind of hopping they'd wait for a year or two longer on the Hudson's site to develop it properly, but REDICO has nearly a whole year, so hopefully they don't rush this. I'd hate to see only the ground floor contain retail, and not make it a indoor arcade mall, as well.

I read in the newspaper this morning that they think Rock Financial might be the company that turns Hudsons into its headquarters. Apparently their lease is up in 4 years on their current location so they could bring their 3000 + employees downtown. That would be a nice boost downtown. Perhaps this rumored "out of state firm" could be part of the project as well and push Hudsons block to the max that it can hold.

Tonight they were setting up scaffolding on the building at 1520 Woodward (the Lane-Bryant Building). It is yet another building that is receiving facade improvements for the Super Bowl. Pretty much all of the crappy facade "improvements" from the 1960s and 1970s will be coming down in the next couple of months. :)

Ugh...snow already? I hate the stuff...it looks nice at first, but then it gets all yucky & brown. I also hate brushing it off my car and I hate driving in it.

As for the Christmas tree...it was already lit last night and it was lit again tonight.

Atperry,

1520 is the building north of Apt. It is a tall building (7-8 floors) with a concrete facade. It is one of the few more modern buildings on Woodward.

For those of you that missed it, the Pepper's Shoes sign came off last week. :)

I was pleasantly surprised to see that all the original detail was burried underneath. I was worried that maybe it had been totally obliterated. It is black, since it has not been cleaned for probably 75 years, but it's all there.

IMG_5946.jpg

Archived