Competing Convention centers

vdogg

A tale of two cities' convention centers

hrconventioncenter.jpg

The 344,000-square-foot Hampton Roads Convention Center will open next month in Hampton.

The 344,000-square-foot Hampton Roads Convention Center will open next month in Hampton. BILL TIERNAN / THE VIRGINIAN-PILOT

By BATTINTO BATTS, The Virginian-Pilot

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It mentions the Hilton hotel and conference center in Norfolk....so its still alive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, i didn't even notice that. Maybe i should read the full article next time :D . I was gonna play a cruel joke today and make a thread proclaiming "Hilton Hotel annouced!" in big capital bold faced letters, and inside the thread would only be the words "April fools". Better judgement prevailed though, i didn't want too many people mad at me. :lol:

A tale of two cities' convention centers

hrconventioncenter.jpg

The 344,000-square-foot Hampton Roads Convention Center will open next month in Hampton.

The 344,000-square-foot Hampton Roads Convention Center will open next month in Hampton. BILL TIERNAN / THE VIRGINIAN-PILOT

Full Story

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope Hampton has better luck with that tent system than Portsmouth has had with the nTelos Pavillion. Mismanagement and bad weather are not a good combination.

This exactly what i was talking about with the areas competing with each other. This is really stupid, I think Hampton could have built something that was not in the area and not compete with Va Beach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you notice the size of both convention centers you would see that the Hampton roads convention center is almost half the size of the Virginia Beach Convention Center. Hampton and Virginia Beach are competing for two different markets. Virginia Beach will be able to go after the big dogs while Hampton roads Convention Center will be middle of the road. However with that said, if the convention market dries up at some point things could get ugly between the two centers. Right now though this is great for the entire area. Trade shows that would normally skip this area because the beach's center is too large are coming here finally. Hampton has already had three shows and hotels for each show have been completely booked. Money is starting to pour from these and everyone benefits. Several hotels in the hotel district have renovated or upgraded thier facilities to better market to business demands. Some have even changed their branch name to make it more desirable to stay there. Lots of improvements are coming from this one convention center and more are on the way! Colliseum is about to undertake a major overhaul. Mixed use districts are already planned and one should be starting up here in the next few months right on the property of the colliseum and the convention center. This area has only seen the beginning of a building boom that could change the area forever. :alc:

I'm sorry, but I feel that the Hampton Roads Convention Center will fail miserably just like the Power Plant. What a waste of money, instead of blowing 50+ million dollars on that convention center, they could of used that money to renovate their falling apart schools, a quality that would attract new residents.

I'm sorry, but I feel that the Hampton Roads Convention Center will fail miserably just like the Power Plant. What a waste of money, instead of blowing 50+ million dollars on that convention center, they could of used that money to renovate their falling apart schools, a quality that would attract new residents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why do you think it is so destined to fail? It seems like they are in a pretty prime location, and they have already had bookings. I don't think they are going to go into the convention center hall of fame mind you, but i do think they can draw a decent amount of business.

I drove past that contraption last night and could not figure out what was going on. They have too many themes going at the same time. Along with that building going up in tan next to it and the Collosal Blah, the area looks less than appealing.

Once all the road work is done and the area is a little less under development, it could look better though. I'll keep my fingers crossed as I used to live in Hampton and don't think it's that bad of a city. At least the downtown is still pretty nice/clean unlike a certain neighboring city whose name I won't mentioNN :)

I think that is what make our area unique and unlike any other cities (competing with one another). Although this type of competing may hurt the area it can also help the area because as each city gets an idea the other city gets an idea and tries to match or out do the other city. This process can lead to greater innovations because each city's motor is constantly turning thinking of ways to make their city better than the next.

For example, when Norfolk switched to condominium developments downtown to increase revenue and bring downtown back to life, VA Beach began to develop plans for condominiums to their CBD to also increase the status of their developments in and around the towncenter. And when Va Beach began planning for the regions largest tower Norfolk stepped up their plans to try and match or out develop VA Beach's plan for the area's largest tower. So you see that's why i believe that cities competing helps each city to progress in the urban world. But i do hope that one day we will get tieredof competing with one another and start to compete with cities such as DC, B-more, Atlanta and etc., but that is still a sight to be seen and light years away :( .

Archived