Residential Parking Programs

SSavard

I recently moved into downtown Providence RI, and the residents of my building are attempting to make headway on Providence's non-existent resident parking program. People here are paying $150+ a month for parking in nearby, private, unsecured lots, and this price will soon rise as more people move downtown in the coming months. What makes the situation completely intolerable is that the lots aren't manned 24 hours a day, so late-night vandalism and break-ins are occurring regularly. The bottom line is that we would appear to be one of the few cities in the country that doesn't have a resident parking program.

Our early forays into changing this have met with support from the mayor's office, our ward councilman, and the neighborhood resident and business associations. BUT, the police, fire, and rescue departments, as well as the DPW, are opposed. We may also be up against the private lot owners, some of them very influential businessmen, who are making a fortune in the narrow confines of an increasingly vibrant downtown (there is not a single municipal lot downtown); the inertia of a planning board that has not yet fully processed the changes taking place here; and the city itself, which makes a lot of money ticketing illegal overnight parkers.

We are asking that our building be allowed to participate in a pilot program that might at least address the concerns of our rapidly evolving downtown, but we seem to be facing some significant hurdles. It is an issue that could make or break the establishment of a viable new residential community here. Any advice on how to get this done is greatly appreciated!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently moved into downtown Providence RI, and the residents of my building are attempting to make headway on Providence's non-existent resident parking program.  People here are paying $150+ a month for parking in nearby, private, unsecured lots, and this price will soon rise as more people move downtown in the coming months.  What makes the situation completely intolerable is that the lots aren't manned 24 hours a day, so late-night vandalism and break-ins are occurring regularly.  The bottom line is that we would appear to be one of the few cities in the country that doesn't have a resident parking program. 

Our early forays into changing this have met with support from the mayor's office, our ward councilman, and the neighborhood resident and business associations.  BUT, the police, fire, and rescue departments, as well as the DPW, are opposed.  We may also be up against the private lot owners, some of them very influential businessmen, who are making a fortune in the narrow confines of an increasingly vibrant downtown (there is not a single municipal lot downtown); the inertia of a planning board that has not yet fully processed the changes taking place here; and the city itself, which makes a lot of money ticketing illegal overnight parkers. 

We are asking that our building be allowed to participate in a pilot program that might at least address the concerns of our rapidly evolving downtown, but we seem to be facing some significant hurdles.  It is an issue that could make or break the establishment of a viable new residential community here.  Any advice on how to get this done is greatly appreciated!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey there Ssavard -

Check out the Providence section of this board. There is a thread there about this topic that I think you might be interested in and you could certainly add to the discussion.

There are others in the city that are trying to get this implemented. That said, I think of all the neighborhoods where this will be most difficult to implement, it is downtown.

Archived