Favorite SC Highrise/Tower?

Hybrid0NE

I know we don't have a lot within the State (sadly two nearby cities beat our entire state per skyscrapita) but I know you've got your favorites. So share...

I'm partial to the Columbia area and I'm going to boost Bank of America Plaza, Capitol Center (Wachovia) and Meridian Tower (although I wish it were taller) as my favorites. :D

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to be a very biased thread probably, but at least its something to talk about. I am going to go with the Landmark in Greenville, Poinsett Plaza, and the 2 Liberty Square glass buildings. I also like many buildings in Columbia. Also the tower in Spartanburg is nice, just lonely with no other towers around it.

My favorite in Columbia, and I can't remember the freakin name of it right now, is the USC dorm with the revolving restaurant (Capstone maybe?). It's not the prettiest building, but its just one from my childhood that I remember having such a huge fascination with.

My favorite, and apparently only significant high-rise in Charleston is the Dockside condominium complex located near the aquarium and DT port terminal. I think the location for it is terrible...it should be amongst or near the medical complex to have better density. It is over 200 feet tall with 19 stories.

My favorite in Columbia, and I can't remember the freakin name of it right now, is the USC dorm with the revolving restaurant (Capstone maybe?).  It's not the prettiest building, but its just one from my childhood that I remember having such a huge fascination with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Capstone is the one.

My personal favorite is Denny's tower in Spartanburg:

cityspartanburgscdowntown.jpg

I also like the Palmetto Building in Columbia.

That is why I am a fan of our lone scraper in Spartanburg. Its not a generic box. I know its nothing major, but it is the best example of GOOD urban growth Spartanburg has.

Does anyone have images of the Palmetto building?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And the new Meridian Building is not bad either. In fact, the Meridian may be my favorite modern high rise in the state. I really like "tower" type skyscrapers - like the Bank of America Building in Charlotte or the IBM tower in Atlanta. The problem is that they tend to be bigger buildings that do not get built in cities with smaller skylines. Most SC cities (even some of the smaller towns like Union or Orangeburg) have an old 1920s hotel in the 5 to 15 story range. They are usually neat buildings. Talking about historic high rises, there was a great old building in Spartanburg (Chapman Building maybe???) that was an early high rise and was later demolished. It sat on Morgan Square. I have seen old photographs of the building.

And the new Meridian Building is not bad either. In fact, the Meridian may be my favorite modern high rise in the state. I really like "tower" type skyscrapers - like the Bank of America Building in Charlotte or the IBM tower in Atlanta. The problem is that they tend to be bigger buildings that do not get built in cities with smaller skylines. Most SC cities (even some of the smaller towns like Union or Orangeburg) have an old 1920s hotel in the 5 to 15 story range. They are usually neat buildings. Talking about historic high rises, there was a great old building in Spartanburg (Chapman Building maybe???) that was an early high rise and was later demolished. It sat on Morgan Square. I have seen old photographs of the building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. The Chapman Building was one of Spartanburg's first skyscrapers. We used to have quite a few, but they have been torn down.

citySpartanburgSC_morgansq1.jpg

Chapman is to the right

Where does Union have a 15 storey building? Maybe I've missed that.

Meridian is a beautiful building to be sure. It looks great at night!

The big Peachoid in Gaffney.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

Yep. The Chapman Building was one of Spartanburg's first skyscrapers. We used to have quite a few, but they have been torn down.

citySpartanburgSC_morgansq1.jpg

Chapman is to the right

Where does Union have a 15 storey building? Maybe I've missed that.

Meridian is a beautiful building to be sure. It looks great at night!

:rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Union's old hotel is 5 stories I think. Orangeburg's old hotel is 7 stories. I meant around 5 to 15. Those are really low rises I suppose. But for those towns, these are "skyscrapers".

Ironically one of the tallest towers in SC as been sitting abandoned since 1987 and was never finished.  It is located at the former PTL complex in Fort Mill.  It is my favorite not for its looks but for how notorious it is.

Tower---2s.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey! Maybe we could nickname Fort Mill, "Pyongyang West", now! The cities with the two tallest never completed hotels!

hehe. Thats pretty funny. I like seeing it when I drive over the Rea Rd Bridge over 485. Its probably a few miles away but it still looks big.

It is a mighty ugly building though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Almost as ugly as Tammy Faye's makeup used to be!

Has anyone been in that park around the Denny's tower in Sptbg? I've got the idea that would be a great addition to the Gateway Site in Greenville

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The park is quite nice. People gather there for Music on Main, Christmas tree lightings etc... When I need to just get out of the office, I go out and walk around it and enjoy the flowers atc... It a little bare right now, but with spring here I hope Denny's gives it some more attention.

Speaking of Denny's; with the bottom floor vacant, (BB&T moved out) any ideas for tenants there?

Ironically one of the tallest towers in SC as been sitting abandoned since 1987 and was never finished.  It is located at the former PTL complex in Fort Mill.  It is my favorite not for its looks but for how notorious it is.

monsoon, do you know the original and future plans for the building.

monsoon, do you know the original and future plans for the building.

Originally it was a resort hotel for a Christian theme park but was never completed. I'd say it'll be imploded as it would be too costly to renovate and finish the building, it's sad that such a complex turns out like this.

Has anyone been in that park around the Denny's tower in Sptbg? I've got the idea that would be a great addition to the Gateway Site in Greenville

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it's very nice. The weekly music festival is held in that area and on Main St. itself in the summer. Good music, good beer, and a good place to see and be seen.

Archived