Favorite SC Highrise/Tower?

Hybrid0NE

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

My favorite new tower in SC hands down is the Meridian on Main St. in Columbia. My favorite old one in SC is the original Palmetto Building. Meridian is very handsome with elegantly colored green accents contrasted with light tan stone. The old Palmetto Building's architecture is opulently intricate. A tower that I used to despise that has endeared itself to me over the years as a building with clean, crisp lines, believe it or not, is the Capitol Centre. It could use a parapet or something to mitigate the antennae and satelite dish on the roof, and the garage that accompanies it is horrible, but overall the building is not something I should have lost the sleep that I lost over it when it was first built. Its coloring changes according to the sky and at times almost looks like a downward extension of the sky. It has a very high-tech 80s look.

In case I didn't make myself clear earlier, my favorite tower already built is the 13-story Poinsett Plaza office tower on Main Street and McBee Avenue in downtown Greenville. I think it shows the best architectural design for a highrise in SC. :shades:

I totally agree! I love it lit up at night. :shades:

The Wachovia building in Downtown Columbia. Also my second place would be the Camelot Hotel in MB and third would be the landmark in Greenville. The last one, I don't know why. It's just a box, but I like it.

• 8 months later...

Wow, this is a blast from the past. Hopefully we'll have some new highrises to consider before long. I have a feeling that the Peacock may surpass Poinsett Plaza as my favorite highrise. Who knows maybe the Pinnacle will slip in there-- being the state's first green highrise building is a thing of beauty in itself.

I would have to say the Palmetto Building :yahoo: and I am kind of fond of Cap Stone (it catches the eye standing off on its own). :blink:

I agree the Bank of America would have been better with another 10+ stories added to it, especially since they have revived the white light trim. :thumbsup:

Was the light trim also there or was it added?

Im hoping the two 13+ story buildings we have comming up in greenville will look nice. I think the Meridian building in columbia reminds me of the westin poinsett that was redone here in greenville. Only the Meridian is white and the poinsett is brick. The Meridian is a very nice looking building. I love the older architecture like that.

Im hoping the two 13+ story buildings we have comming up in greenville will look nice. I think the Meridian building in columbia reminds me of the westin poinsett that was redone here in greenville. Only the Meridian is white and the poinsett is brick. The Meridian is a very nice looking building. I love the older architecture like that.

The Meridian in Columbia is actually more similar to the Poinsett Plaza than the Westin Poinsett in Greenville, erm1981. They both have limestone exteriors, although the roof tops are different. You may be refering to the Palmetto building, which is an older structure.

In Greenville, it will be very nice to see the addition of The Peacock Hotel & Spa in the same general vacinity as the Poinsett Plaza. That part of the skyline is already quite attractive, and this new tower should complement the style variation very well. Obviously, the addition of the Pinnacle tower on North Main will have a great effect on the skyline as well. Having both towers under construction simultaneously will be thrilling as well! :shades:

The Peackock Hotel may actually become my favorite highrise. I really like the design of it, but I'll wait until its completed before I make any final decision ;)

I'm certain that he was referring to the Palmetto building, those two are very similar. They are also similar to the Francis marion Hotel in Charleston...

Well i mainly was referring to the older architecture. Palmetto building is nice though also. Old city hall building in greenville has some very nice stone and masonry work on it. The white brick look very nice. Does anybody have some pictures of it?

Archived