Favorite SC Highrise/Tower?

Hybrid0NE

It will be quite vertical actually. The lobby and spa floors are extremely high. It has a tall spire. More vertical I dare say than any building in the last several years in any SC city......except Myrtle Beach. But with the amount of luxury being packed into this place, it could be a one story, 10 foot high ranch and it would be spectacular. :lol::lol: It's all about the quality. :yahoo:

By vertical I mean significantly taller than it is wide from the front. The Meridian Building in Columbia is 17 stories and is only about two years old if that.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always thought Greenville's Landmark Building (is that the official name) is very ugly. It is as ugly as the Humanities Administration building at USC, only much taller. Which indented things are the windows and which are cement?

Yeah it is ugly. I knew the Humanities building reminded me of another tower cause its ugly too

Im not going to disagree with the columbia people on this one although id like to, but the landmark building is not the prettiest building in the upstate. I kind of wish greenville would build something taller and prettier to overshadow it so it wouldnt be the standout tower in the skyline.

The best highrise in the Palmetto State in terms of design is also our first skyscraper... the Palmetto Building in Columbia. It will be very hard to build something to top that. The Peacock looks good though. it stands a good chance at being among my favorites in SC.

I have always thought Greenville's Landmark Building (is that the official name) is very ugly. It is as ugly as the Humanities Administration building at USC, only much taller. Which indented things are the windows and which are cement?

it's so ugly it's beautiful.

The best highrise in the Palmetto State in terms of design is also our first skyscraper... the Palmetto Building in Columbia. It will be very hard to build something to top that. The Peacock looks good though. it stands a good chance at being among my favorites in SC.

the Barringer Building is the first "skyscraper." Palmetto's not that much taller, and back then, any tall building (note, occupied building, not the State House dome or church spire) was a "skyscraper."

The states tallest building in Columbia, the Capital Center isn't that great to look at either. It's not ugly its just PLAIN. Not one of my favorites

To me its redeeming characteristics are its clean lines and crispness, depending on the lighting during the day. It needs illumination at night. When they first built it I lost sleep over it because of its blandness, but over the years it has grown on me to the point that I can appreciate the aformentioned redeeming qualities.

To me its redeeming characteristics are its clean lines and crispness, depending on the lighting during the day. It needs illumination at night. When they first built it I lost sleep over it because of its blandness, but over the years it has grown on me to the point that I can appreciate the aformentioned redeeming qualities.

back when it was Southtrust it had some decent illumination, especially on foggy nights. i miss that.

does anyone else play Sim City 4? if you do, anyone else notice the uncanny resemblance of the Waco Co. tower to Capitol Center? same color scheme, cladding, and shape, glass atrium entrance at the bottom, about 25 stories, small parking deck on the side, palm trees on the lot in the game...

Landmark isn't all that bad. I think it's a pretty good representation of its architectural era.

I'd agree. I wouldn't ever want it to be torn down or drastically altered. BUT I do wish that it wasn't the stand-out building in the skyline. Although, it will take a lot for that to change. It has by far the best spot for maximum exposure... I'd like for building to expand on street level to accomidate retail and to actually be up on the street.

back when it was Southtrust it had some decent illumination, especially on foggy nights. i miss that.

does anyone else play Sim City 4? if you do, anyone else notice the uncanny resemblance of the Waco Co. tower to Capitol Center? same color scheme, cladding, and shape, glass atrium entrance at the bottom, about 25 stories, small parking deck on the side, palm trees on the lot in the game...

Back when we had a Sim City section, this was pointed out by a few of our members :) It might actually still be around in the Columbia section if you want to dig!

Anyone notice how all of the Bank of America Plaza (at least the ones they built from the ground up) have really detailed/ornate rooftops?

Columbia's may not be most stylized but compared to what stood around it was a masterpiece and then you have Atlanta and Charlotte's towers...

Anyone notice how all of the Bank of America Plaza (at least the ones they built from the ground up) have really detailed/ornate rooftops?

Columbia's may not be most stylized but compared to what stood around it was a masterpiece and then you have Atlanta and Charlotte's towers...

Bank of America is in the process of giving a facelift to its Greenville tower, but I'm afraid nothing drastic is going to come out of it for the building itself. They've given it a new coat of paint and are removing an adjacent parking garage, which will open up land for a decent sized project for the Piazza Bergamo area of downtown. I only wish it including a new rooftop of some sort. Oh well, maybe the new project that comes out of the freed up land will produce a tower with a unique top. :unsure:

Archived