Macromedia Flash | Why I hate it even more

monsoon

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While that is disturbing, there is some good news:

"the San Francisco-based company is discussing with Microsoft Corp., the Mozilla Foundation and other browser makers the possibility of letting consumers control the use of cookies and shared objects from one location in a browser, Jeff Whatcott, vice president of product management for Macromedia, said."

Firefox is UrbanPlanet's preferred browser. We highly recommend it. 

It really is safer, faster, and better

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They've been getting past the firefox popup blocker lately, or at least as long as you leave it on default settings.

Firefox is certainly the superior browser when compared to IE, the problem I have is that if one window has a runtime error and crashes, it closes every other ff window as well. In IE, each window runs independently.

Thanks guys, let me know my hard work on my websites is hated. Flash isn't expensive at all, in fact its cheaper as far as labor, and the programs to develop it have come down in price as low as $40. It takes far less time to develop a spectacular looking site than in html. Besides, there is a shift in web design. The internet has become more arts and graphics based to keep people coming back to the site, and provide a more interactive experience. Plus, the fact that more and more people have broadband connections, page loading times in flash are becoming rare. However I do find the following things annoying

Flash intro movies

Too many moving objects

Too many "flashy" transitions between pages

Most webpages come with an option, html or flash, so it's not too big of an issue to complain about

Other than that, flash is a useful tool for making webpages flexible.

My new website, urbanmichigan.com will almost entirely be flash based. html will be hardcoded into the flash files, but we have a bit of eye candy on the banners on the top of the page. Nearly all of the photos are flash encoded because we DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO STEAL THEM AND REPOST THEM. If you can't copy them, there is a reason. If you want people to see the images, simply provide a link and directions to the photos.

All and all, you can't say flash is bad, it depends on the design of the website. I definitely wouldn't be interested in building websites if it weren't for flash animation programs. Check out one of my websites I did for my university Here

Firefox is certainly the superior browser when compared to IE, the problem I have is that if one window has a runtime error and crashes, it closes every other ff window as well. In IE, each window runs independently.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is possible to have more than one IE window close if one crashes. Only seems to happen if the IE window that crashed opened as a result of either choosing Open in new window when right-clicking on a link in another occurance of IE or the new window appeared automatically when clicking on a link.

-- LB

• 1 month later...

Archived