Port Authority Terminal

rbdetsport

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Hudkina, in that the Ford Auditorium has overstayed its welcome, even though relatively young. It's always looked slightly out of place, to me, and it looking even more out of place as the riverfront is quickly being returned back to the public. It really creates a dead space, which is very apparent when you've walking the riverfront.

The only problem is that the city is afraid to tick off the Ford family, which I think have already said they wouldn't tolerate the city bringing down Ford Auditorium (i.e. their family would pull back donations to the city).

But, I can't remember if I read that in a newspaper, or if I remember it as heresay. :)

Ford Auditorium sits on public land which, by law, cannot be used for commercial development. There was intense pressure from the Ford family to save the auditorium when, in 1990, Coleman Young first proposed building a headquarters for Comerica Bank and then a Hilton hotel on the site. However, it was a petition drive and special referendum that prevented the demolition of Ford Auditorium. Rebuffed in its efforts to demolish the building, the city chose to close it and allow it to deteriorate, no doubt hoping that it would become so derelict that demolition would be the only option. While the acoustics of the building made it a less then desirable concert hall there is no reason it couldn

Someone would have to call for a ballot initiative where the public would have to vote to give it up. This happened here in Lansing where much of the riverfront belongs to the public. Recently, to kick-start the developmnet of the massive Ottawa Street Station, a ballot intiative had to be called for to sell a small sliver of land that the station sat on. It pased something like 80/20. What is a must is the education of the public, though. Something like this could have easily died if the public hadn't been told that the reason the city wanted the land was to reuse the old station.

It really comes down to the will of city government and education. Right now, it seems like Ford Auditorium is very low on the city government's priority list...and maybe it should be until the wharf is done and everyone sees how the Ford Auditorium site really effects the riverfront.

I guess it depends what you want to do with the site. Do you want Hart Plaza and the Dodge fountain to be the focal point or this new area? I personally would like to see a mixed use development anywhere from 4-8 stories encompassing part of that site with some residential and retail. The closer you get to Jefferson something like in these photos of Millennium Park could be adding because there really is a ton of space there. I do think however that the focus of the area should be the Dodge Fountain in the center of Hart Plaza. A development like the one I propose would complement the wharf idea, add more public park, and create more foot traffic for Hart Plaza in general. I think a building is almost neccesary closer to the river due to the nature of the site.

Archived