Port Authority Terminal

rbdetsport

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hart Plaza and the Dodge Fountain were designed by Isamu Noguchi, one of the most famous artists of the 20th century. It has been featured in publications worldwide and has graced the cover of Smithsonian Magazine. Only in Detroit would there be talk of destroying something that would be treasured by most every other city in the world.

This brings to light one of Detroit

"YOUR" Campus Martius? Watch your wording and tone there. You dont want to sound like an angry suburbanite, do you?

I think the Dodge Fountain should remain the focal point of the plaza. It may not be my favorite but things can be done to enhance it and make it more appealing. All of these other monuments that people want to see should be in addition to what we already have, not replacing it.

Ramcharger, don't take it that I hate the fountain, but I was saying I'm not impressed for what it is. It's almost always not functioning correctly in the 4 years I've photographed it. If we can get it to be operational, I'd be more impressed. But it fails as being an effective public monument when it doens't do what it is supposed to. The people who are least likely to care about this monument are the ones in charge of running it...the city government. Since you are a concerned resident, why not contact them?

I'm really not impressed with the whole plaza itself. The riverwalk portion is really nice, and so is that cool circular thing, but the ugly brutalist walls and such should be worked into something nicer. I guess I can refer to the Chicago example when I say that their walls and stairways throughout the park are characteristic of the city beautiful movement with decorate railings and ornate masonry. It gives of feeling or richness and grandeur. There is also a well cared for landscape, and lots more greenspace. Hart Plaza gives me a feeling of harshness and the cold hard realities of a declining industrial city. That whole portion looks like it was built to withstand a riot. Not the kind of welcoming plaza you want. Oh and speaking of welcomes, I absolutely hate that sign with the "Mayor Kilpatrick welcomes you to Detroit." It looks cheap and gaudy. Tear it down. Build a decorative wall with an embedded electronic signboard or something.

• 3 months later...

Port Authority Terminl Update

DWCPA_Public_Dock.jpg

Construction is set to start this year. I like how this project was funded. They did it very well. I also like that this building will add some more character to the riverfront. I am sure many people think it is bland, but I think it fits in nicely.

http://www.portdetroit.com/newsevents/rece...dock_render.htm

I think we should be more worried about all of those transparent people walking around than the design (which looks ok).

I don't get how the boats dock there though. :huh:

I'm not really much of a boater, but I don't see where the boats go.

The boats load and unload in the little indentation in the riverwalk. The passengers load and unload from the gate in the railing. The situation seems less than ideal, but definitely doable. I'm no boat captain, but my friend is. :P

• 4 months later...

An update and request for input from John Kerr of the Port Authority:

I'd be happy to continue providing updates, and have no problem with them being posted. I appreciate the passion for Detroit shared on urbanplanet's board.

Well, we were hoping to begin foundation work on 10/24, but things were slowed somewhat due to the process that has been put in place by the feds for projects they fund. We have to go through a pretty elaborate contracting process in order to get our construction contract finalized. Actually, the method we are implementing will be somewhat unique, and considered a national model, at the end of the day, for future projects funded by FHWA.

It remains our plan to get those foundations going asap, and we plan on continuing construction through the winter months. Our Board approved the construction management team, and our discussions with them verify that a May 2007 opening isn't out of the question. But, you might see some additional enhancement phases beyond that date.

I'd love some feedback on what those of you at urbanplanet.org would like to see happen at the new dock and terminal, once built, and beyond the obvious programming. We really want to make this project unique for Detroit!

We do have one idea that is very cool that could be considered a "green" approach to providing energy at the site. More details to come!

As I said, feel free to check back anytime. Or, if you have other questions about the Port Authority, I'd be glad to try and answer.

Regards,

John

http://www.portdetroit.com/contacts/economicdev.htm

With the dining options inside the Ren Cen just a stones throw away, I'm not sure dining at the Port Authority would survive (or it could go the other way around). However if a residential or office building were built at the Ford Auditorium site, then I could see more dining options working along the riverfront.

I do agree though that something has to be done to give people a reason to visit Hart Plaza and the central riverfront.

I think windmills would look silly. :lol: Like others have said here, I don't think shops would do well there either. A really big pamphlet rack would be cool though.

But it's great that the building will be green. It's good for the enivornment and good for everyone's pockets!

I wish I had more to say, but I (and everyone else here) really appreciates you coming to post here. Hopefully you'll stick around and become a regular. :)

Archived