Port Authority Terminal

rbdetsport

With the dining options inside the Ren Cen just a stones throw away, I'm not sure dining at the Port Authority would survive (or it could go the other way around). However if a residential or office building were built at the Ford Auditorium site, then I could see more dining options working along the riverfront.

I do agree though that something has to be done to give people a reason to visit Hart Plaza and the central riverfront.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I remember the original rendering of the complex looked much more appealing than the current one in that it had that neat, contemporary-looking lighthouse tower built into it. I remember it having what appeared to be a second level observation area. It seems like this could be an attraction in itself for ship watching and river observing, as well as being able to climb a modern, unique lighthouse. The observation deck would be unique because large ships would pull up right in front of it.

Plus, hopefully, the height will hide some, if not a lot of the parking garage behind it.

I personally liked the first rendering better. I just want to see a nice piece of architecture that will complement what is happening on the riverfront. I like the idea of a green structure being placed there. There arent any "green" buildings downtown and this would be a nice addition, plus it ties in with the green belt we are trying to create along the river. Im also hoping that it is designed in such a way that whenever Ford Auditorium is redeveloped that it can interact well with more pedestrian activity down in that area.

• 2 months later...

John Kerr's response to my email December 18, 2006:

"Good Morning,

We are waiting for MDOT to approve our selection for a construction management team. These contracts need to go before the Transportation Commission who only meet monthly, and not in December. So, we are targeting the January meeting. Once approved, we are ready to begin foundation and footing work. We anticipate a nine to twelve month construction process.

We are planning for approximately 20,000 square feet on two floors, which will include the typical amenities you might expect in a transportation terminal (i.e. baggage areas, processing, ticket offices, restrooms, etc.). The Port Authority would move into the second floor, as well. We have also produced some plans for first floor programming that could potentially lead to some type of education/interpretive exhibits.

I appreciate your interest in our project. It

• 2 months later...

He seemed to be so afraid that I thought they'd dropped the ball. He was practically pleading with me to believe him. lol Funny thing is that I didn't doubt for a minute that the Port Authority is putting 100% into this. I think that shows how committed he is, and I have no reason not to trust his word.

• 1 month later...

An Update from John Kerr:

--

Believe me ... I hate to sound like a broken record, but we are in the final stages of getting our administrative issues with MDOT wrapped up. We are working on other related items to the site in the meantime, like bringing water to the site, and preparing our bid packages for foundation and footings. I'm determined for you to see progress this Summer.

I'll say this - I've learned a lot about federal funds and how they get disbursed.

John

--

I have done a few projects on using MDOT as the contract administrator, believe me, its a LONG, SLOW process. But it is designed, if you hit the deadlines, to move you through. I wouldn't worry too much about this.

I don't know about anyone else, but from my contacts with Mr. Kerr, I'm glad Detroit has him. Let me just put it this way, the slowness of this project is definitely not for his lack of trying like so many other city and metro agencies and organizations.

I really don't think Atlanta has that big of an advantage as far as climate goes. Both cities have 9 months of reletively nice weather and 3 months of supposed "extreme" weather.

Detroit has 231 days where the average high is between 51

Thats true but I doubt most people use that logic when they move down south for the weather. Perception is huge and when it comes to weather people will always think Atlanta is head and shoulders better than Detroit.

Archived