The Magnolia Project

Charleston native

Here is the main story printed in this week's Charleston City Paper that talks a little about the Magnolia project, singing praises about it, of course. While I do appreciate what they want to do there, I don't know if I would want to live there. I will always want a house with a yard. Anyway, things are looking very positive for this future project.

Good Growth

By Bill Davis

Date: 3/30/2005

You know there

Here is the main story printed in this week's Charleston City Paper that talks a little about the Magnolia project, singing praises about it, of course. While I do appreciate what they want to do there, I don't know if I would want to live there. I will always want a house with a yard. Anyway, things are looking very positive for this future project.

Good Growth

By Bill Davis

Date: 3/30/2005

You know there

If this project is built in conjunction with a planned LRT system to start from DT, go through the Neck, and end at the airport, commuting by car might not have to be done. However, nearby I-26 would have to be widened to accomodate the traffic from the new Cooper River bridge and the proposed massive shopping center and hotels.

• 2 months later...

"I think we all envision a dense, urban development"

Single-family homes are not part of the plan. "This is not suburbia"

"I see this as a sprawl buster"

I love the quotes about this project. Can't wait to get some more information on this.. Phase I planning is suppose to be complete by December.

This is very exciting. I think Charleston really has the best urban environment in SC. Columbia and Greenville has small areas that are nice urban environments, but nothing on the scale of Charleston's peninsula core in terms of street life, walkability, density, etc. And the historic architecture gives the city a real authenticity and sense of place. And it does it all without tall buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier in one of the posts, Charleston Native told of the plan for a 20 story tower to be placed at the Medical University of South Carolina. Recently I have found that to be true. Plans are in the works to construct 2 more towers at the MUSC campus. One of which is to be 20 stories and the other about 15 - 18 stories tall. The height restrictions in Downtown Charleston are more relaxed in the Medical area, due to the fact that it was the catalyst that convinced MUSC to stay on the peninsula. Also, the Magnolia project is slated to have some office towers as well. I contacted someone with the company that controls the neck area redevelopment and was told that high rise towers are in the plan. The height restriction are only enforced in the historic downtown area from Mount Pleasant street down to the Battery.

Earlier in one of the posts, Charleston Native told of the plan for a 20 story tower to be placed at the Medical University of South Carolina.  Recently I have found that to be true.  Plans are in the works to construct 2 more towers at the MUSC campus.  One of which is to be 20 stories and the other about 15 - 18 stories tall.  The height restrictions in Downtown Charleston are more relaxed in the Medical area, due to the fact that it was the catalyst that convinced MUSC to stay on the peninsula.  Also, the Magnolia project is slated to have some office towers as well.  I contacted someone with the company that controls the neck area redevelopment and was told that high rise towers are in the plan.  The height restriction are only enforced in the historic downtown area from Mount Pleasant street down to the Battery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any idea on when these plans become reality and construction begins?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Magnolia Project is in the beginning phases now, with the relocation of the offices of Clement, Crawford, and Thornhill, the firm in charge of the planning and development of the Neck, to what is being dubbed as the Ashley River Center. This building used to be known as the Roper Hospital-North...you can see it on the right of I-26 when you're heading into DT. Since this is going to be great urban renewal project, I decided to post the link to the real estate offices, and the link showing their relocation.

The Magnolia Project

CC&T's home page with depiction of new address in the Ashley River Center

News links for all of Magnolia Project articles

• 3 weeks later...

New developments are slowly coming into fruition for the Magnolia project. In the P & C article link below, the first real estate short-story talks about organizers of the Magnolia urban revitalization project who are working on a deal to relocate a business located in the area, possibly so they can buy and redevelop the company's existing site. The company wants to build a new processing and storage facility on upper Meeting Street. The old site is located on Oceanic Street.

As new developments occur in the area, we will need to keep up with them in this thread. I would normally post this in the Charleston Projects thread, but since it is about Magnolia, I put it here. Just a reminder, if you have specific news about Magnolia developments, please put them here.

Magnolia works on business relocation

What's the word on the 20-story tower in the medical district?

Randy1 talked about it earlier, but I haven't heard any new developments on that project. MUSC's first phase for its medical complex is being built right now. The other 2 phases which include a 15-story and 20-story tower are still in the planning stages. Also, a new apartment or condo complex is being built in front of the Comfort Inn at the intersection of Lockwood Blvd and Bee Street.

The area is practically "densifying" as we speak, and more is being planned with the parking garage at Spring St and Courtenay Drive. There have been talks with MUSC and VA officials in creating a joint hospital, so maybe that's why plans for the other 2 phases have been put aside.

Edited by Charleston native

• 1 month later...

Great stuff about new urban development in Charleston found here!

:w00t: I found a terrific article about the Magnolia project called "Reconnecting the Neck" which was in Charleston Magazine. The link is transposed from Clement's real estate office website. It is a truly fascinating piece about the history of the Neck and the potential economic future that Charleston has with its renewal.

Here is a fantastic quote from Reverend Sidney Davis, chairman of the Greater Charleston Empowerment Corporation:

"I can see the cities of Charleston and North Charleston growing into one single metropolitan area through the Neck's redevelopment...Ultimately, I believe that it will grow into North Charleston's Noisette project on the former Naval base, creating a new identity for the Charleston area in this century."

WOW!! How about that? This is what I've been dreaming about, ladies and gentlemen. If other leaders see the potential that I am seeing, we could very well see these cities merge, if everything is done right. I am so pumped! The master plan, according to the magazine article, is to be released to the media by mid-2006, so this is going to be BIG when announced. I urge every Charlestonian and urban enthusiast to support this project and find more information on it. When this project is completed, Chas may very well be a much larger and different city in the next 20 years!

Reconnecting the Neck

Great stuff about new urban development in Charleston found here!

:w00t: I found a terrific article about the Magnolia project called "Reconnecting the Neck" which was in Charleston Magazine. The link is transposed from Clement's real estate office website. It is a truly fascinating piece about the history of the Neck and the potential economic future that Charleston has with its renewal.

Here is a fantastic quote from Reverend Sidney Davis, chairman of the Greater Charleston Empowerment Corporation:

WOW!! How about that? This is what I've been dreaming about, ladies and gentlemen. If other leaders see the potential that I am seeing, we could very well see these cities merge, if everything is done right. I am so pumped! The master plan, according to the magazine article, is to be released to the media by mid-2006, so this is going to be BIG when announced. I urge every Charlestonian and urban enthusiast to support this project and find more information on it. When this project is completed, Chas may very well be a much larger and different city in the next 20 years!

Reconnecting the Neck

Well, if it takes Magnolia to bring about the reunification, then so be it. I still prefer Spartan's idea of buroughs though; I think it makes the most sense and would bring a whole new meaning to regional cooperation. But this may have to be proposed after Riley has vacated the mayor's office, since so many see him as the "grand dictator of the Lowcountry."

I haven't had a chance to read all of it --yet, but the quote sticks out:

"One early concept sees the new interstate (a relocated I-26) as a grand pedestrian-friendly boulevard"

-- Christopher Morgan

What a concept.

How would you make an interstate a "grand pedestrian-friendly boulevard"? That confuses me because the traffic would have to flow in and out of Magnolia to get to the Cooper River Bridge and US 17 off-ramps.

Well, if it takes Magnolia to bring about the reunification, then so be it. I still prefer Spartan's idea of buroughs though; I think it makes the most sense and would bring a whole new meaning to regional cooperation. But this may have to be proposed after Riley has vacated the mayor's office, since so many see him as the "grand dictator of the Lowcountry."

It won't be just Magnolia that might initiate a unification. It will have to be combined with Noisette to accomplish this dream. I do like Spartan's idea, but for other areas, it may not be possible...yet. Maybe a Chas-N. Chas merger into a complete city of Chas will initiate a proposal such as that when areas such as Mt. Pleasant, Summerville, Hanahan, and Goose Creek want more regional input. Those cities will see how much more of a driving force a unified city government can become.

I wish more responses would be in this section, especially from Charlestonians. That last article I posted is huge. This is no longer a matter of "if", but "when". This will be an urban environment which will even include highrises, meaning skyscrapers. Hopefully, this will get people's attention. Check out the article "Reconnecting the Neck" 5 posts from this one...please?! :D

the redevelopment of that area is very exciting...I just think it is a very long term venture. There are alot of people who still need to sign on to this deal and alot of work done after that. Alot of properties still need acquireing. Rhodia as well as the concrete plants, etc along Azalea Drive would all have to relocate. Then that land would have to be cleaned up environmentally. Then of course the wrangling with DOT over the relocation of busy interstate. That is at least a 15-20 year process in itself.

I deal with Robert Clement occassionally and I know he is going to do it. He has the money and the politcal power to pull it off. I just think it is a long ways from being realized fully.

Well, I heard that the highrises in Magnolia would only be like 10-12 stories. Which is still significant, but nothing to get too excited over. I think that people will be more reactive/responsive to this when we start to see some dirt moving.

That is a great article. The plans they show on p8 are the plans that I have seen. The one on the right (the East Interstate plan) is my favorite.

After finally actually reading the article, I can't help but get excited about what this will do for the Charleston metro area. I know it will take years to be completed, as I would imagine that, like other major residential infill projects, it will occur in phases. But the sheer potential of this, as well as other projects (have we mentioned The Promenade at all?), gives me warm, fuzzy feelings inside. :D

Well, I heard that the highrises in Magnolia would only be like 10-12 stories. Which is still significant, but nothing to get too excited over. I think that people will be more reactive/responsive to this when we start to see some dirt moving.

That is a great article. The plans they show on p8 are the plans that I have seen. The one on the right (the East Interstate plan) is my favorite.

I don't know about the buildings only being 10-12 stories. A few people who I've talked to that have communicated with Clement have indicated that his vision does include office towers. They won't be 70 stories or anything like that, but the potential for 20-30 story buildings is very likely. This is the only prime piece of real estate left with a downtown-uptown location, and tall condos, hotels, or offices would provide unprecedented views of the historic area, the harbor, and the new bridge.

Its very possible that my information is now outdated, as its been about 5 months. I do hope that you are right. It would be extremely cool to see some towers as you appraoch downtown. It would also conform to our idea from a while back that the new highrise business center/new downtown should go in the neck area.

I think 70 stories would be excessive at this point though :)

• 4 weeks later...

Its very possible that my information is now outdated, as its been about 5 months. I do hope that you are right. It would be extremely cool to see some towers as you appraoch downtown. It would also conform to our idea from a while back that the new highrise business center/new downtown should go in the neck area.

I think 70 stories would be excessive at this point though :)

I share your excitement about the Magnolia/Neck project. It is cause for great celebration! I have been following it closely since day one. This is overwhelming in its scope and potential for greatness! High-rises here would be terrific, and a merging of cities, sorely needed. The Noisette Project is awesome, too, of course. Only wish I would've bought on upper Rutledge or nearby when it was affordable! Dang.

Now, if the other cities could follow this as inspiration, and RE-DEVELOP instead of sprawling, we would all benefit enormously. There is so much land out there BEGGING for re-development (including many abandoned 10-year old Wal-Marts). Yes, they can be in down-and-out parts of town, but so is the Neck. If you build it right, good things will follow. Don't forget what Charleston's downtown was like when everyone laughed as Charleston Place was being built.

We just have to get out of the mind-set that building further and further out is the answer. Let's build in-between and UP, right?! This should change a lot of minds (hopefully) in this regard . . . and how proud I am that Charleston is taking the lead yet again with another urban issue! :D