The Magnolia Project

Charleston native

I was aware of the planned World Trade Center but didn't realize that it had been expanded to 14 stories. This is definitely much more impressive than the original design. Since the city of Charleston seems to stuck in another century concerning upward development perhaps the city of North Charleston can pick up the ball and run with it. Although this belongs in the neck area I am pleased that its even being considered anywhere in the Charleston metro. I hope that this will set a precendent for the city of North Charleston and the Coliseum vicinity in particular and provide the metro with some sort of gateway befitting its size and importance.

While I love the city of Savannah I don't feel that their skyline has much over Charleston. If anything, Savannah's buildings of height are closer together than Charleston which I feel provides for a greater sense of density and maybe even height. Also,most of Savannah's taller buildings appear to have been built during the same time period as the Francis Marion hotel was built. I don't see anything in Savannah rivaling the modern structures appearing in Charleston's medical district and the east side of town.

post-12130-1169184820_thumb.jpg

Edited by SimCity

Maybe it is the clustering that gives that effect, but it works for them.

Yes it does. I forgot to mention the Westin hotel on Hutchinson's island in the Savannah river I'm not sure of its age but it would probably dominate downtown Savannah if it were on the mainland. A rather unusual building in my opinion with its height, architecture and isolated location.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't look too much into Savannah's buliding heights. SimCity said it well. You can see one of their more recent attempts in the backgorund to the left. Thats a hotel/monstrosity that hasn't done much for downtown aetheticly.

That's the DeSoto Hilton, which was built over an older version that was far more appealing in architecture and scale. It was one of Savannah's greatest and most regrettable losses. Yet another unfortunate attempt at "urban renewal" in the early 70s--UGH!

I'm finally back with my IE updates! :yahoo: Man, it took awhile, but it is finally working.

In response to Savannah, I have to say that what makes the city's skyline better than Chas is the difference in height of the buildings. The downside of Savannah's is the sheer fewer number of significant buildings. Granted, the clustering effect for Savannah helps, but Chas virtually has no diversity in its skyline with a mostly flat appearance. The only exception is the Dockside condo building which is located further away from the skyline center, so it usually gets ignored in skyline photos.

Magnolia should change this configuration and add diversity in height. Instead, with only a 120-foot height allowance, it will just extend the flatness of the cityscape.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this was Magnolia's last attempt to interfere with the port expansion. There is no need to let a developer slow the already delayed expansion of this vital facility. Also it's good to see the legislature and DHEC get on board. The last hurdle to be cleared (hopefully)is the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers who will make their final decision in April.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Thanks krazee for posting that here. This would indeed be an awesome centerpiece of Magnolia, giving a dramatic entrance into the gateway of DT Chas. The building has a hint of the Empire State, but it also would accent the prevalence of churches in the city's current historic skyline. Imagine a pic of historic churches in the foreground with that in the background. It would truly show contrasts of the city's history and bright future.

Folks, removing the city ordinance in this section would allow for buildings like this. Allowing for only 120 feet negates any possibilities of having great-looking buildings like the one above.

Those of us who are familiar with the Clemson University study of the Charleston metro area will remember that the map showed St. George, Harleyville, Cross, Hwy. 27 and 176 up to the Orangeburg county line, and Hwy 52 out past Bonneau being nearly engulfed by Charleston's sprawl in the not too far future. The signs are already there, St. George is expecting an influx of new residents as developers eye and begin to build housing there. On a similar note, a developer wants to build a few hundred houses in Holly Hill once the regional water system is extended to that town. All we have to do is sit back and watch the evolution. After all, the smart money has predicted that the Charleston metro will have the population and land area of the Charlotte metro within the next 23 years. :unsure:

post-12130-1172470478_thumb.jpg

Those of us who are familiar with the Clemson University study of the Charleston metro area will remember that the map showed St. George, Harleyville, Cross, Hwy. 27 and 176 up to the Orangeburg county line, and Hwy 52 out past Bonneau being nearly engulfed by Charleston's sprawl in the not too far future. The signs are already there, St. George is expecting an influx of new residents as developers eye and begin to build housing there. On a similar note, a developer wants to build a few hundred houses in Holly Hill once the regional water system is extended to that town. All we have to do is sit back and watch the evolution. After all, the smart money has predicted that the Charleston metro will have the population and land area of the Charlotte metro within the next 23 years. :unsure:

post-12130-1172470478_thumb.jpg

Do you mean the population and land area of Charlotte today, or do you mean catching up to Charlotte? Two VERY different scenarios here.

^ All the more reason to consider building taller where developers are able to...i.e., Magnolia and the Neck. Skyscraper development can prevent some suburban growth from getting that far.

True. Even moderately dense buildings would be a step in teh right direction. You only need about 7-10 stories to create a dense enough area that supports more urban communities, transit, pedestrian activity, etc.

^ It is...the City Paper had an article about that last year. At current rates, Chas could be as big as present-day Charlotte. And the amount of time the paper reported was actually 10-15 years.

The study referred to the size of present day Charlotte and was indeed more conservative in its time frame of 23 years than the Charleston Post & Courier.

When one stops to think about that and also about the fact that SC's other big two will experience dramatic growth in that time period you have to wonder and maybe worry about the sprawl that will come to exist it our now-rural areas. Just imagine two or three cities the size of Charlotte in our small state! :shok:

^This is why mass transit is so important. If we had high-speed rail linking the cities (and even on into Charlotte) and commuter/light rail serving the cities themselves, that would definitely be a good thing.

Certainly that is true, but just what are the chances of that happening in SC anytime in the foreseeable future? The only way I see that happening is through the development of fast rail from Atl to Charlotte with stops in Greenville and maybe Spartanburg. Maybe that would spur our government to extend lines down to Columbia and Charleston and perhaps even Myrtle Beach.

• 5 weeks later...

A "Municipal Improvemt District" (MID) is probably very similar to a BID (Business Improvement District). The difference between a TIF and a BID is that a BID is more of a public-private partnership type of thing. It is an association that taxes itself in and can decide where it wants to allocate money in cooperation with the Government. I assume a MID is the same thing, but you include residential representatives as well. A TIF District is sort of the opposite (in a way). Thats a very simplistic explanation, but I think it gets the idea across.