The Magnolia Project

Charleston native

Those other projects are good, but what are their size? The size and scope of the Magnolia project itself is huge adding 12,000 new homes to the Neck (including condos, not cookie-cutter suburban homes). Noisette is proposing a total of 8,000 new urban homes for the lower North area. These developments, if successful, will increase the city's population to nearly the same as present-day city of Charlotte. And that is a quote from the City Paper articles. I tried posting links, but I can't find them.

Anyway, what makes Magnolia and Noisette so special is the sheer size of them. I don't know if the projects in Cola or G'ville are similar in size.

Those other projects are good, but what are their size? The size and scope of the Magnolia project itself is huge adding 12,000 new homes to the Neck (including condos, not cookie-cutter suburban homes). Noisette is proposing a total of 8,000 new urban homes for the lower North area. These developments, if successful, will increase the city's population to nearly the same as present-day city of Charlotte. And that is a quote from the City Paper articles. I tried posting links, but I can't find them.

Anyway, what makes Magnolia and Noisette so special is the sheer size of them. I don't know if the projects in Cola or G'ville are similar in size.

That's some great information. Let's be careful about boasting about one's city. South Carolina forumers have a tendency of arguing about who's city is better when information like this is presented.

I know, randy, I'm trying not to sound boastful. But what is somewhat annoying is when we are in a Chas forum giving information about these projects that really will transform the city, but then other SC forumers have to remind us that they have other projects going on as well. If I were in another city forum boasting about Chas, I would have no problems with that, but this is the Chas forum. This forum is the section where my hometown has the floor.

It seems childish that other forumers have to "remind" others about how great their city is. I guess other forumers feel they have to include their cities' projects to show that Chas is not unique, but there lies the problem. I live in Cola, and I see and hear about the changes that are occurring in my hometown everyday. I believe these projects and the area's growth are very well unique to the rest of the big cities in this state.

I don't believe in bashing one city to make another look good--that's called childish boosterism. I simply said that, as a state, I think our major cities are doing a pretty good job with residential infill--no more, no less, and it's awesome that our oldest city is leading the way with that in terms of size. That said, I will refrain from mentioning any other SC city in the Charleston subforum ever again.

I know, randy, I'm trying not to sound boastful. But what is somewhat annoying is when we are in a Chas forum giving information about these projects that really will transform the city, but then other SC forumers have to remind us that they have other projects going on as well. If I were in another city forum boasting about Chas, I would have no problems with that, but this is the Chas forum. This forum is the section where my hometown has the floor.

Lighten up a bit.

I apologize guys. I guess in the Chas Development thread, things got a little out of hand with some Cola and G'ville forumers. I'm sorry if I have seemed overbearing.

I think the fact I have several midterm exams along with being married is stressing me out or something. :wacko:

That's okay, Chas Native, those things will do it to ya!

In additional defense of krazeeboi, he was just trying to address my concern that the other cities learn from Magnolia and Noisette, and re-develop--which he did. Hence, his mention of the other cities, with examples.

So, don't worry--we all acknowledge and are proud that Charleston is leading the way.

It seems childish that other forumers have to "remind" others about how great their city is. I guess other forumers feel they have to include their cities' projects to show that Chas is not unique, but there lies the problem. I live in Cola, and I see and hear about the changes that are occurring in my hometown everyday. I believe these projects and the area's growth are very well unique to the rest of the big cities in this state.

ah what the hell, boast on chuck town is worth it! :)

I apologize guys. I guess in the Chas Development thread, things got a little out of hand with some Cola and G'ville forumers. I'm sorry if I have seemed overbearing.

I think the fact I have several midterm exams along with being married is stressing me out or something. :wacko:

Although I don't post a lot I enjoy reading your insightful comments.

^ Thanks you guys. I'm happy to report that midterms are over and spring break is next week. Thank you for your patience and understanding. My hometown is my passion, and it tends to come out more when I'm stressed out. Back to the subject...

I have a quote here from the latest Charleston Magazine article which was a feature on the Neck.

...Potentially, the first Neck development to benefit from the recent opening of the Ravenel Bridge is

Perhaps some of the discussion got a bit off topic, but think that in a state like ours you will be hard pressed to avoid comparisons to the other cities when they are relevant. All of our largest cities get compared to eachother. Even still, I will try to keep an eye out for things that seem too off topic since this is the Charleston section :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I found this article interesting in that it addresses serious problems with basically the first major building visitors and commuters encounter as they enter DT known as Joseph Floyd Manor. If you've traveled I-26 straight into Chas, you have seen this 13-story building which sits practically right next to the interstate. I had no idea this building was in such disrepair and had so many problems.

Since the building is practically a focal point for the Magnolia/Neck development, should the building be bought and demolished or renovated as a mixed-use building? The residents could be moved to a new residential development built away from I-26. I've thought that this could be a gateway building as commuters enter the Neck and DT. I personally would demolish the building and start over, with a 20 to 25-story building for residential and business use. This could be an anchor building for the type of development the Neck will become. The story is linked below.

Authority says it's addressing Joseph Floyd Manor issues

• 1 month later...

Got this blurb from the Daily Business Journal. Superior Transportation is moving its Neck-area HQ to a 25,000 square-foot faciltity on Hanahan Road in the north area. According to the company's president, this is a sign that work is about to begin in earnest on Ashley II of Charleston and Cherokee partners

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmmm....comments on the website anyone? Good grief, this is the urban development that will literally make Chas explode. All of these plans are fantastic. Although I would like taller buildings to be considered for Magnolia, which is still possible, I have to say that it will be incredible to look at this development 5-10 years from now. Chas will truly have entered into the 21st century.

Thanks for posting that site, knight. It is truly inspiring and encouraging!

Hmmmm....comments on the website anyone? Good grief, this is the urban development that will literally make Chas explode. All of these plans are fantastic. Although I would like taller buildings to be considered for Magnolia, which is still possible, I have to say that it will be incredible to look at this development 5-10 years from now. Chas will truly have entered into the 21st century.

Thanks for posting that site, knight. It is truly inspiring and encouraging!

What I truly like is Midtown.. maybe it is just me but that one picture on there, if accomplished, will make that area truly unique and extend the main walking district further north .... I wonder if there are any other developers considering anything big in this area??

^ Oh, I agree, Midtown is impressive. I hope a couple of highrises get built there, as well. Not huge towers, just some that are distinguishable amongst the Chas skyline around 20-26 stories. The intent of Midtown is to extend the King Street and Meeting Street business districts past the Visitors Center. I don't know about any big plans from other developers, though that area needs more refurbishment and redevelopment.