The Magnolia Project

Charleston native

You know, a thought occurred to me about this project. The sketches are indeed impressive Mike, especially the one you posted, but now I see the reasons for planners wanting to lower I-26 through this area, especially if the height of these buildings remain consistent. They want to create a gateway into DT, but still have low-level buildings. They know that they can't possibly have an adequate gateway using low rises with the highway being elevated as it is.

This gives me doubts about Chas ever building high rises here in Magnolia. I don't know, these are just dry sketches and not actual renderings of what will be there, so let's hope that some visionaries try to infuse the idea of high rises (20-30 stories) into this project.

I just came across the City Paper feature about Magnolia. While the big billboard near the interstate says "Change Is On the Way", the going has been rather slow. The article link is below.

The good news, according to the article, is that things are getting underway now. The industrial companies will be relocated to other area indsutry parks such as the ones in Ladson and in the Cainhoy area of Chas. As companies are moved, Chas residents can expect to see warehouse demolition starting in the next few months and the installation of roads and utilities over the next year. Buildings should start coming out of the ground in 18 months to two years, but the project likely won't be built out for another decade or more.

However, the city is worried about developments ensuring that there will be active park space such as soccer fields and baseball diamonds.

By the Neck

But why, krazee? Midrises are uninspiring and the usual building of choice for Chas. I thought this development would be a radical change, but it's slowly becoming the standard new urbanist crap that still will not enhance the skyline of Chas, which needs some change.

A great gateway would be like I-4 while driving into Orlando from the east. You see the skyline in the distance, then come upon impressive hotels, office buildings and apartments.

Magnolia is not going to have this. This is the reason why developers want to lower I-26...to remake the gateway, rather than making the current one better.

Actually, lowrises are the usual building choice for Charleston. It is DC that has true midrises--and many of them, while adhering to the same basic design, are indeed inspiring. If the development is to have something 20-30 stories, it at least has to have some shorter structures, in the 10-20 story range, to balance them out. Otherwise, the taller structures will stick out like sore thumbs and lack context. And that would REALLY be a blight on the cityscape.

^ I think 10-20 story buildings are already on the project's plans, so having a few 20-30 story buildings in addition would be fine. I agree, you don't want a 30-story building to be standing by itself. You've got to have density with shorter buildings, and I think that could definitely be accomplished here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New height limits for the buildings planned for Magnolia were approved by city council this week. While most buildings in the development area would be limited to a height of 55 feet, particularly along the Ashley River, a small core of buildings surrounding a 2-acre park could be up to 120 feet tall, and they could be ringed by buildings up to 80 feet tall. The new height limits for the Magnolia development were supported by city officials, the Coastal Conservation League, and neighborhood organizations, and no one spoke to oppose the change before it was approved Tuesday. In addition to the new height limits, zoning for the Magnolia development would put no limit on the number of residential or commercial units that could be built, though there would be requirements for open space.

• 3 weeks later...

^^ Glad to see this. The new height restrictions never seemed appropriate to this project, so I'm glad that this change was made. Hopefully by the end of 2007, there will be some serious construction going on at this site.

120 feet, that ought to make Native a little happier.

Well, I'm a little happier, but this decision again shows what the leadership in this city lacks in imagining the future. 120 feet will basically provide an addition to the same, boring skyline which exists on DT's west side. Granted, any change to the gateway into downtown is welcome, but this height will only allow 12-story buildings at the most.

There really should not have been any height restriction in this section of the city. Having no height restrictions would have allowed Magnolia developers to have complete freedom in planning a significant urban core. It would have created a modern, contemporary uptown for Chas. The developers already were working closely with city officials, so the odds of having 30-story behemoths built by themselves were extremely remote. Oh well, shoulda-woulda-coulda, but it's not exactly what I had hoped for Magnolia.

Now we know that the powers that be in Charleston won't allow for any buildings with truly siginificant height to them. Personally I'm shocked that even a 120 ft. building(s) will be allowed. In a conservative place like Charleston that's like having a 30 or 40 story skyscraper.

^ That's what is so frustrating with this project. Magnolia is far removed from the historic district, and it literally is the footprint of the new Ravenel bridge, which is very big and would fit in well with a taller skyline. If the skyline remains small, the bridge will look out of scale with the rest of the city. San Fran is an example of how well the bridge blends with the city's skyline. Magnolia would have been the impetus for this type of building.

^I totally agree that having a 120 foot limit is too restrictive. Magnolia is a chance to give Charleston a 21st-Century urban core. If Charleston doesn't allow that to happen, I think they will regret it. North Charleston is just up around the bend, and it doesn't limit nuthin' when it comes to development. It could make a major push to be the home of the area's skyscrapers and new business.

Edited by lsgchas

^I totally agree that having a 120 foot limit is too restrictive. Magnolia is a chance to give Charleston a 21st-Century urban core. If Charleston doesn't allow that to happen, I think they will regret it. North Charleston is just up around the bend, and it doesn't limit nuthin' when it comes to development. It could make a major push to be the home of the area's skyscrapers and new business.

I think the view that the city of North Charleston won't let any opportunity that comes its way pass it by is quite correct. The city is very pro-active and would jump at a chance to become the regional business center. I think the biggest obstacles for North Charleston right now are the height limits imposed in certain parts of the city because of the airport and Air Force base and the availability of an area with just the right panache to attract corporations willing to build upward instead of campus like parks. Personally I believe that the corporate area at I-526 between Leeds Ave. and the Ashley river has the potential to sprout a few high rises in the coming years.

The city also needs to seriously address the issues of crime and the quality of public schools so that the people who work for these potential companies would also see N. Charleston as a decent place to live as well. I know much of this is beyond the realm of government and goes to other issues, but the city should do all that it can to help.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one truly disappointed with this blown opportunity by the city. And guess what, many of you are correct about the north city. I've been saying for years that the north city wants to be the true economic and business center, taking that status away from the city of Chas.

Magnolia could have prevented that. It would have placed "The Neck" as the economic center of the Chas area and be an impetus for a possible merger of both cities (it still may spark a merger, God willing). The north city is showing no visible signs of cooperation with Chas, presumably trying to bolster itself alone. Here's further proof: check out this link for the new SC World Trade Center Building. It is currently planned to be built in the north city near the coliseum and convention center. AND, it has been expanded. It will be 14 stories with 260,000 square feet of office space! Here is a rendering:

wtc_charleston2.jpg

Folks, imagine if this building were here at Magnolia, and the project leaders were unrestricted in the building's height. I believe they could make it 20 stories. And, don't you think it would be a fantastic gateway into downtown Chas?! It would also be the focal point from where the new Navy base terminal and downtown terminals are located for international trade. According to the article, there are other locations being considered, but it is unclear where those would be. The possibility of locating in or near Magnolia may still be there, but it is highly unlikely.

Anyway, this shows a blown opportunity and indeed a possibility for the north city to take off in skyscraper development.