Flint Twp. in 2020

Zettelman

There are many opinions and visions of what downtown Flint's future may be. Most are interesting and encouraging to read. Let us take a step back and consider the region as a whole and other commercial/population centers. Specifically, I would like to know what people honestly see occuring in Flint Township over the next 10 to 15 years.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, welcome to the board! :)

I don't see Flint Township (Miller Road especially) slowing down anytime soon. There's probably going to start being problems soon about space on Miller, Court, Corunna, etc. for commercial development.

I remember a few years ago everybody was predicting that Flint Township would start losing business to Grand Blanc and Fenton. Business slowed down for about a year, but it looks like the township is doing great now.

In 10 to 15 years, anything can happen. I think it'll take a hit commercially when those malls and big box stores get built in GB, Fenton, and Mundy Township. As far as residential, I have no idea. I'd assume it will keep growing at a steady pace.

Edit: Oops. Forgot to say - Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for your welcome.

I have mixed feelings about Flint Twp. While there has been, and continues to be, lucrative demand for commercial development in the township, it appears to be Atlanta politics as usual. Essentially, it appears that the township still strives to attract business, but its does so in a way that does not deliver a high quality of life for residents, emplyees, and visitors (a whooping zero acres of parks in thirty years, squandered CDBG and TIF dollars, detriorating infrastructure, severe fiscal woes, and population loss).

I understand that there is much rhetoric about GB twp taking over, and most people do not buy into it. However, it may not be outrageous to believe that a quality cinema, bookstore, and other businesses in GB may begin to erode away at Flint twp. Frankly speaking, I can think of no amenities that the twp offers other than the services of the private sector, which as we all know, tend to follow the population in the long run. Judging by the onset of out-of-business and relocating big block stores in the twp, who knows what the future holds. I bet no one in Flint could have imagined a hollowed out core in the 1950s, and that may be said of Flint twp today.

On the bright side, it appears that the current administration, however transient, recognizes some of these issues and is attempting to do something about it. I hope it works out. Any more thoughts, comments, or crowd noise?

I agree. There seems to be no sense of community nor vision. Those are two things that give a comminity resilence. The township has surprised me so far, but in five years when the competition is real, we'll probably know how well it'll be doing in 2020.

Grand Blanc is not going to overtake Flint Township's business district anytime soon. While there are new retail developments occuring in GB, there still is a lot of anti-business sentiment. It is begining to fade as more and more people move up from Oakland County, however. Flint township's business district will decrease in importance, but I don't see it suffering too much. I find that a lot of people from GB shop in Auburn Hills anyway, since that is the area a lot of the newcomers are familiar with.

Quality of life in Flint Twp. seems to be a major issue though. There isn't a sense of place. There is no character, and everything is just sprawl. There is a lack of permanence, no doubt because old businesses are bulldozed to make room for something new every 20 years.

Archived