Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rbdetsport

Washington Boulevard Streetscape

GENERAL WILL RETURN: New foundation for 16-foot statue

From the Detroit Free Press - August 23, 2005

Gen. Casimir Pulaski is coming back to downtown Detroit.

The 16-foot-tall statue of the Revolutionary War general, which has been missing from its usual spot at Washington and Michigan, is expected to return in about a month, city officials said Monday.

James Canning, a city spokesman, said the statue was removed about a year ago during construction on Washington.

A private Detroit conservation company, Venus Bronze Works Inc., is cleaning the statue and pouring a new foundation, Canning said.

The $65,000 bronze statue was a gift to Detroit from several Polish groups, according to the Detroit Historical Society's Web site. The statue was dedicated in 1966. It was designed by Bruno Nowicki and sculpted by Ferenc Varga.

you can read the rest of the article here

I'm not sure I remember what this statue looks like! Does anyone have a picture?

Slowly but surely this boulevard is coming back to life and returning to its former glory. I don't remember seeing this statue either. Any pictures? What part of the boulevard is it going to be located at?

Here are pictures of the updated blvd. These were taken on August 13 (I just needed time to upload...)

40580956_9e312c9c0f.jpg

40580953_2ad26c7f46.jpg

The shark's teeth which are used all over

40580955_c00e1d0eea.jpg