DRQ Radio Gone

kgourlay

OK fellas, let's start a rumor mill eh? Apparently at 1pm 931 DRQ was replaced by 931 DOUG FM. That's as much as I know. I heard that all the employees no longer work there, except Jay Towers. Were they fired? Did they quit? What have you heard? What do you think they are up to?

This was my favorite radio station, and I know they were very big in the community, especially Jay and Rachael's morning show. I don't know what is going to replace this, but it seems like we've lost something either way.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just heard it and they said it was still 93.1 DRQ, but new. They play all different music. I thought it was an April Fools Joke yesterday. I turned on the radio today and still junk. I was also wondering about the peoples jobs. The morning show was great. I mean I didn't think a radio station just could switch like that. Did anyone hear about this when the station was normal? I don't know what is going on with this one.

Apparently it's not a joke, ABC sent out a press release or something explaining that they're trying something new. More like a iPod on shuffle than a radio station. (not an exact quote.) I think from now on I'll listen to either 89x or 93.9. :(

Here's some information... not sure who, but one of the DJs popped this message up on their AIM away message. Take some action if you're concerned about this!

Jayandrach931: A man named Steve Kosbau FIRED EVERY DJ on DRQ. Jay & Rachael, Grunwald, Lisa Lisa, The 300 pound intern, Stick, Jevon, everyone! He hated DRQ and it's listeners. He works for ABC. Call every day. We will miss all of you and we all are very sad. You

I'll probably get kicked off of here for making this post and being so new but...

I'm sorry I thought their morning show really sucked. 931 seemed to copy every new promotion 955 came up with and it didn't work out as q955 beat them in the ratings. Jay Towers is a condescending know it all and that show played to soccer moms.

Drew and Mike is by far the best morning show in Detroit. If you don't care for them I think Mojo in the Morning is the next best show.

I did like 931 for listening to 50 cent and eminem and stuff like that. Usually you could get an acceptable Top40 song to listen to between them and 955 if you were in the mood for that.

I never listened to 93.1 until this thread notified me of the format change and now I really like it! Good for them and the change in format, but I can't get used to the name. The Doug FM, what is that?!? And yes, Drew & Mike is the best morning show in Detroit :)

Thanks. I happened across this site one day looking for pictures of the Ren Cen. I found some good ones. Still looking for a nice 1280x1024 wallpapers of the detroit skyline.

I am amazed how much knowledge some people have on here of local buildings and such. Where do you find all that information?

In the Michigan section, there is a pinned topic on the top which will give you links for wallpaper. There are some really good ones.

We gained information about the buildings by doing research, reading books, exploring the city and forums like this. The easiest way to get information, though, is asking others that already have that knowledge! There is a lot of history in the city and most people are willing spread that knowledge so that others too can appreciate what the city has to offer and what a great place it can be.

You might want to take a Preservation Wayne walking tour of downtown for $10 and you'll learn a lot. In addition to the basic downtown Saturday tour, they have 4 different Tuesday evening tours that will fill you full of information.

As I was listening to 93.1 and getting pissed at the stupid station promos that they always, it finally hit me what's different. We were trying to figure out what some of the songs were and realized they don't have any DJs! It really is just like someone put a bunch of songs with mixed in promos and the same commercials and let it play for hours and hours. Now that I noticed it, it really bothers me not having the personal touch of an actual person speaking.

• 2 weeks later...

What if you could have Jay & Rachael BACK on the air? Jay, Rachael, Grunwald, Mr. Holesome, Jason the 300 pound intern. We need your help. Would you or the head of your household be willing to pay for Satellite Radio such as XM or Sirus for the cost of about $12 a month? Would you subscribe? We are not asking you to do this, we are asking if Jay & Rachael could be heard here in Detroit and across the country, would you (or your parents) subscribe so you could hear HUNDREDS of great commercial free music and entertainment channel

Archived