Berkman Tower and Carolina Theater

dubone

If you haven't yet, check out the City Council meeting notes when the project was discussed, it can shed some light on the options considered: Council Meeting Notes (pdf). (page 16 to save you some time)

Anyone able to dig up the architectural firm that Camden has working on this? They HAVE to have renderings at this point in the game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The CBJ article mentions Lord, Aeck & Sargent as the architect, wasn't able to find anything on their website.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you ask me, if the city is kicking in as much as the developer is asking, then the developer should provide some units available to lower-income individuals......the could get away with turning 2-units into 3 in some cases and still get the same return.

The more I think about this, the more I hope the city has the balls to step up on this one and force the developers to hire a market analyst that could provide a market rate for the building, and require the developer to charge that price, or the city should walk from this deal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellant idea. Average 2 bedroom rent in CC is over $1200. Housing options have to diversify for CC to succeed IMO.

Since the Business Journal says it is going to be 22 stories now, I am a little more comfortable with the project's chances. Honestly, considering how close to the Hearst tower this building would be, I would prefer it not try to overreach its place and end up mucking up the view of the Hearst. I personally think that the empty parking lot next to Fox and Hound would be more adequate for a residential tower 25+ stories.

• 4 weeks later...

i noticed that this site has a fence around it now... but i wasn't sure if that was a new thing from when they took down the facade or what...

would this be the first official use of the TIF program (rather than the more customized contract-based quasi-TIF the city used with pappas and grubb)?

what is the timeframe for getting this worked out?

also, still nothing on the architects website:

http://www.lordaecksargent.com/

Dubone...

I just checked out the architects website. Not only is there nothing on the website...there's nothing on the website about it period. Safe to say this one is not at the stage yet to where they have a project for it on their site ready to go. I noodled around a good bit and didn't even get a whiff of something...

• 2 months later...

Apparently, the Observer has a website.

New-fangled gadgets.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/new...al/13298247.htm

The developer is giving the city until the end of the year for a decision, but it seems that no one can commit to funds.

I really hope they work out the issues. I recently visited the 1920s-era Reynolds Auditorium in Winston, and it was incredible inside. Major stars do small concerts in that auditorium, and would certainly do the same at Carolina Theater in Charlotte if it were renovated, as Mr. Lazes said.

I recently visited the 1920s-era Reynolds Auditorium in Winston, and it was incredible inside. Major stars do small concerts in that auditorium, and would certainly do the same at Carolina Theater in Charlotte if it were renovated, as Mr. Lazes said.

I went to Reynolds High School. (sorry if I gush for a second) :wub: That auditorium is just a part of me... I love it. I had the opportunity to perform at sold out talent shows there while I was attending the school... I don't think I fully appreciated at the time what an amazing privilage that was. Just look at the place!! http://www.piedmontcommunities.us/servlet/...079196804534752

If we restored the Carolina Theater to something as classy and wonderful as Reynolds, it could easily become a huge draw for many great acts that might not have even considered Charlotte otherwise. Reynolds Auditorium has drawn acts such as Harry Houdini, Doc Severinson, Dizzy Gillespie, R.E.M., Allison Krauss.... the list goes on...

Ok....Here is the renderings we've all been waiting for. It's tough to get excited, because I don't believe this project has much of a chance, but who knows......

For what it's worth, I count 30 stories, though the parking deck screening along Tryon really bothers me.

Sigh. I like it, all things considered. I like how they put the deck over top of the old theater.

Hopefully, something will happen, and the Camden can stay interested, even if the city takes a while longer to get organized.

With the bears returning to the uptown scene, it is hard to be optimistic.

Ok....Here is the renderings we've all been waiting for. It's tough to get excited, because I don't believe this project has much of a chance, but who knows......

For what it's worth, I count 30 stories, though the parking deck screening along Tryon really bothers me.

man, this sure would add even more density... i must concede though... i don't think even the optimism of a thousand A2's can push this one through. :)

I don't think it will happen because the CTPS can't raise the $2M in a year to do their part in renovating it, also, there are some pissed off council members about the whole Wachovia arts deal that are pretty bregruding of that project, and I don't seem them supporting a project that wasn't a priority by the ASC in the Cultural Facilities Plan.

For this project to have a chance, Noah Lazes will have to step up and commit to operating the facility, and somebody besides the city will have to put themselves on the hook for restoration cost overruns. Even then, without the CTPS's funds, there is a big gap that no one is going to want to fill.

Personally, I think more risk/return should be shifted to the developer, and require them to build a project that will cover the financing gap, should one occur. The city doesn't need to be subsidizing upwardly-mobile citizens' condos on Tryon St.

I think this was the last ditch effort, and only one developer was even interested. All the local developers apparently passed on it imediately.

Except Jim Gross....but as you can imagine, the city wasn't exactly in the mood to attempt a project like this with him.

Sadly, if this project doesn't get built, this theater is toast.

well, this is the way we do things around here. it is sad... but i am almost numb to charlotte wiping away its history. if this doesn't go through then we can only look forward to what will go there eventually. that is a prime piece of real estate and the address will look great on letterhead.

If this were in any other city in the state, the councils would be chucking money at the developers and asking if they need more.

Guess this is proof that Charlotte has enough momentum going where the government doesn't feel like public investment is necessary to get projects off the ground. That's certainly nice.

But man, it would be a shame to see the theater go.

Its almost more like, Charlotte has thrown so much money at developers recently to create momentum, that it doesn't have any more/can't justify throwing more money out there.

As far as I know these are outstanding projects that tax revenue is being used to subsidize:

The Arena

Elizabeth Redevelopment

Midtown Redevelopment

Wachovia (maybe)

thats upwards of $500 million right there, and thats in a ~1 mile radius.

I'll throw this out there......Novare was able to get a pretty sizeable chunk of cash from Nashville for their residential tower....you would never see that in Charlotte.

For even a more extreme example, Cincinatti abates all property taxes on a new construction house anywhere within the city limits upto $218k.....wow.

I've been fairly satisfied with how the City Council has allocated dollars for ED, but this case may not justify it unless the city can be better protected.

Archived