Newport News-Williamsburg International Airport

Merrittk92

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would appear that both of the area's airports are doing exceedingly well. Newport News (though smaller) posted an increase of over 27% for the month of May. :thumbsup:  Also, they are expanding their apron to handle more flights, and as a preliminary move before they build a second concourse.  :w00t: 

Newport News/ Williamsburg Airport

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that really is Amazing!!! 27%, although for a smaller airport is still phenomenal! I'm really proud of Norfolk though because it just lost a carrier. JetBlue should come soon enough though.... :rolleyes:

Wow, that really is Amazing!!! 27%, although for a smaller airport is still phenomenal! I'm really proud of Norfolk though because it just lost a carrier. JetBlue should come soon enough though.... :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No doubt, Jet Blue would be a welcomed addition. Probably offering service to the Northeast and it's hubs up there. Hopefully Air Canada will return someday as well. ;) What I would like to see, out of ORF, is more non-stops to west coast hubs. I'm talking Denver, San Diego or Seattle etc. What I'd like to see from PHF would be non-stops to Chicago or Dallas. :thumbsup:

LOL its funny because me and my father seem to have the idea that JetBlue will be coming to Newport News. Alas ... we shall soon see!!

God I love 7cities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is sure possible that it will come to NN, but there has been a few signs that point to JetBlue in Norfolk. I recall the CEO of JetBlue speaking at a Norfolk-something meeting. Also, there have been rumors in Va. Pilot articles. Also, according to another site, once JetBlue receives delivery of their new 100-seat planes, they plan on adding routes and Norfolk was mentioned as a possible one. And lastly, I asked Norfolk airport officials and they are optimistic that Norfolk will be announced as one of the new JetBlue routes by the end of the year........ :rolleyes:

Please be soon!! LOL.

It is sure possible that it will come to NN, but there has been a few signs that point to JetBlue in Norfolk. I recall the CEO of JetBlue speaking at a Norfolk-something meeting. Also, there have been rumors in Va. Pilot articles. Also, according to another site, once JetBlue receives delivery of their new 100-seat planes, they plan on adding routes and Norfolk was mentioned as a possible one. And lastly, I asked Norfolk airport officials and they are optimistic that Norfolk will be announced as one of the new JetBlue routes by the end of the year........ :rolleyes:

Please be soon!! LOL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point. But I wonder why NN is doubling its capacity by building a new concourse if they don't plan on accomodating more planes ... is Delta or Airtran planning on doubling their flights? That would be a coup in and of itself.

Hmmm

Good point. But I wonder why NN is doubling its capacity by building a new concourse if they don't plan on accomodating more planes ... is Delta or Airtran planning on doubling  their flights? That would be a coup in and of itself.

Hmmm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they may have outgrown their current one, and besides, at 20-something% growth each year, that concourse wouldn't take long to fill up. By the way, could someone give some proof of this new concourse? I just haven't heard anything about it until yesterday when Merrittk92 mentioned it.

I think they may have outgrown their current one, and besides, at 20-something% growth each year, that concourse wouldn't take long to fill up. By the way, could someone give some proof of this new concourse? I just haven't heard anything about it until yesterday when Merrittk92 mentioned it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure.

Jim Smith, Executive Director of the Peninsula Airport Commission, said: "This project will complete the next phase of the aircraft parking abron to serve current overflow parking and to serve the planned new terminal building concourse [emphasis added]. With airline passenger growth exceeding 100% the past 3 years, we need the additional aircraft parking apron to serve new flights."

You can get the whole .PDF of the press release here, or check out their awful looking website here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually the first project will be expanding the parking apron for the airport. Which will allow for more capacity getting to the terminals. Along with this they will also be installing more access gates. The second concourse is planned and could be coming very soon. I was reading a day or so ago on FAA's website and came across an article. Apparantly NNWIA financed there current terminal building through the FAA. One stipulation from the FAA was that for three years after paying off the loan, NNWIA could not apply for federal funds for expansion projects. Well the loan was payed off and less than a year into the ban NNWIA needed to build, so what happens? Sen. Allen slipps some legislation into some other bills which basically takes away the restrictions on NNWIA from securing federal grants. Therefore there construction program is ramping up. If you go to the NNWIA website and click under news, you can read some of the press reports that mention these new projects. Also, I think that a parking garage is planned for the airport. Which was going to start up pretty soon. I don't know what has happened with that yet, though.

Actually the first project will be expanding the parking apron for the airport.  Which will allow for more capacity getting to the terminals.  Along with this they will also be installing more access gates.  The second concourse is planned and could be coming very soon.  I was reading a day or so ago on FAA's website and came across an article.  Apparantly NNWIA financed there current terminal building through the FAA.  One stipulation from the FAA was that for three years after paying off the loan, NNWIA could not apply for federal funds for expansion projects.  Well the loan was payed off and less than a year into the ban NNWIA needed to build, so what happens?  Sen. Allen slipps some legislation into some other bills which basically takes away the restrictions on NNWIA from securing federal grants.  Therefore there construction program is ramping up.  If you go to the NNWIA website and click under news, you can read some of the press reports that mention these new projects.  Also, I think that a parking garage is planned for the airport.  Which was going to start up pretty soon.  I don't know what has happened with that yet, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Explains a great deal actually. Whatever the case, it seems that increased volume is expected!

Anyone been to the refurbished cafe/bar area? It looks great, actually. I got a ginger ale and some carrot cake with my girlfriend before she flew to ukraine. You know, the PHF-Kiev flight haha (she was routing through ATL of course).

I've been hearing about these garages for months and I think I even saw a press release or something concrete about it once upon a time but I can't seem to find anything on it anymore!

Explains a great deal actually. Whatever the case, it seems that increased volume is expected!

Anyone been to the refurbished cafe/bar area? It looks great, actually. I got a ginger ale and some carrot cake with my girlfriend before she flew to ukraine. You know, the PHF-Kiev flight haha (she was routing through ATL of course).

I've been hearing about these garages for months and I think I even saw a press release or something concrete about it once upon a time but I can't seem to find anything on it anymore!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I know I've seen a newspaper article or two about the garage, so I'm pretty sure its coming. First they are expanding the parking lot I think...

Yeah I know I've seen a newspaper article or two about the garage, so I'm pretty sure its coming. First they are expanding the parking lot I think...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Frankly, all I want is for PHF to be:

1. A regional hub for Airtran or something similar (or anyone, really)

2. To have a new concourse

3. Parking garages

4. A better gift shop

5. A Starbucks (I'm sorry, but Blue Sky Cafe just doesn't cut it, folks)

6. A Sam Adams (everyone wins)

Thats it!! After that I'll probably submit my next set of demands (while casually watching the flying pigs from my private spaceship).

What is PHF?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha, I am sorry about that. It's the airport code for Newport News-Williamsburg Int'l. The acronym actually stands for Patrick Henry Field, the name it used to be called before the new terminal was built and someone decided we had become international.

Many residents, esp. longtimers, still refer to it as Patrick Henry Field. I was too young to really remember it being Patrick Henry Field (well... not TOO young since I do remember it but it was never a term that came into general use in my vocabulary at the time) so in deference to both I refer to the airport by its airport code, PHF.

My father, after the name change, used to mock the new name by referring to it as New-new-willy. When Airtran came and he actually began using it, most of those jokes ended... :D

One thing that I have to say is that I wish the pennisula and southside where not so distant from each other. I feels like two different places! Its amazing what the James and the bay do to these different spots! NN is like the Norfolk of the pennisula! Norfolk and Newport News do try to work with each other but the water makes it so hard. I know when Norfolk announced the light rail project Newport News wanted to join and eventually connect to Norfolk if the third crossing does come about.

One thing that I have to say is that I wish the pennisula and southside where not so distant from each other. I feels like two different places! Its amazing what the James and the bay do to these different spots! NN is like the Norfolk of the pennisula! Norfolk and Newport News do try to work with each other but the water makes it so hard. I know when Norfolk announced the light rail project Newport News wanted to join and eventually connect to Norfolk if the third crossing does come about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honestly though, until this transportation issue is resolved it's just going to get worse. The Peninsula is relatively self sustaining as far as cultural offerings and nightlife ... and what it doesn't currently have is in the process of being built or there are plans to do it later. The truth is, and this is even true for people like me who work in Norfolk but live in Newport News (or for people who do the opposite like my friend Nick), that we dread going across the water for fun. Going to VA Beach and Norfolk is simply too much trouble to casually make your way over. Add in the mix costs of gas (not just because of the length, but because of the damn traffic) and you have a region that is becoming increasingly distinctive, despite all the talk of interdependency (Which, of course, is still true, but I don't think that we're necessarily becoming more integrated just because we merge economic alliances or put up signage about the "HR Beltway", as though you need a beltway to be a big city or something daft like that).

There just needs to be more voices for transportation solutions. It looks like both candidates are saying a lot of the same nothings and I doubt our problem will be fixed anytime soon until we make some difficult decisions.

Intermunicipal light rail, IMHO, will do more to increase metropride and give a sense of cohesiveness than a thousand focus groups and 10,000 signs will ever do.

Honestly though, until this transportation issue is resolved it's just going to get worse. The Peninsula is relatively self sustaining as far as cultural offerings and nightlife ... and what it doesn't currently have is in the process of being built or there are plans to do it later. The truth is, and this is even true for people like me who work in Norfolk but live in Newport News (or for people who do the opposite like my friend Nick), that we dread going across the water for fun. Going to VA Beach and Norfolk is simply too much trouble to casually make your way over. Add in the mix costs of gas (not just because of the length, but because of the damn traffic) and you have a region that is becoming increasingly distinctive, despite all the talk of interdependency (Which, of course, is still true, but I don't think that we're necessarily becoming more integrated just because we merge economic alliances or put up signage about the "HR Beltway", as though you need a beltway to be a big city or something daft like that).

There just needs to be more voices for transportation solutions. It looks like both candidates are saying a lot of the same nothings and I doubt our problem will be fixed anytime soon until we make some difficult decisions.

Intermunicipal light rail, IMHO, will do more to increase metropride and give a sense of cohesiveness than a thousand focus groups and 10,000 signs will ever do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree and it hampers us as a metro because we don't get to enjoy the entire area. This area as a whole has alot to offer but we get frustrated and don't explore other cities great things. I hope that they don't wait till it is too late(companies that we have leave the area) to get their act together. This is the most important thing this area has to deal with as a whole and not seperated cities!

To be perfectly honest, I think the ideal situation would be for PHF to close and for AirTran to move its operations to Norfolk and to expand Norfolk. It is a shame we don't have a better (and bigger) airport for a metro area of our size. I've heard many times, from relatives in particular that are visiting, comment about how small Norfolk's airport is...lol.

To be perfectly honest, I think the ideal situation would be for PHF to close and for AirTran to move its operations to Norfolk and to expand Norfolk. It is a shame we don't have a better (and bigger) airport for a metro area of our size. I've heard many times, from relatives in particular that are visiting, comment about how small Norfolk's airport is...lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be a great way to piss off everyone on the Peninsula. And, until recently, Richmond too. We aren't just Norfolk's sattelite. Sorry.

That would be a great way to piss off everyone on the Peninsula. And, until recently, Richmond too. We aren't just Norfolk's sattelite. Sorry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: I'll have to agree with that one. In effect what you would do is make just that many more people have to navigate the Bridge tunnel just to take a flight, adding that much more traffic to the road. It is simply not feasible to do this. It would make me fairly upset if they shut down ORF and made me hall my butt all the way to the peninsula just to take a flight, I would imagine that the opposite is true as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ORF will expand. ORF has no choice. Having two regional airports for an area this size is a blessing. If managed correctly (fingers crossed) they will, and can complement each other. :thumbsup:

ORF will expand. ORF has no choice. Having two regional airports for an area this size is a blessing. If managed correctly (fingers crossed) they will, and can complement each other.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes, the two airports together can also keep our low rates that we enjoy by keeping the competition going which is definiately a good thing.

Soo...I'm guessing most of you would be against the idea of closing Norfolk and NN airports to build a bigger one out near Suffolk? I will admit that I didn't like that idea at first, but now I see both sides. I really like the idea of having one airport for our region, but at the same time there are cons against one big airport too, such as higher landing fees for airlines and a much longer distance to drive...

Soo...I'm guessing most of you would be against the idea of closing Norfolk and NN airports to build a bigger one out near Suffolk? I will admit that I didn't like that idea at first, but now I see both sides. I really like the idea of having one airport for our region, but at the same time there are cons against one big airport too, such as higher landing fees for airlines and a much longer distance to drive...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only purpose for a larger field is to be a hub airport. HR should take a lesson from Raleigh and see that there are lots of problems associated with that. With Atlanta, Charlotte, Cincy, BWI, Dulles, Pittsburgh, Philly, NYC area airports, and Boston; the East Coast has enough hub airports. Add to them DFW, Houston, St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Minny, Denver, Salt Lake, and Vegas (and in the future, Memphis), there are enough continental hubs. (West Coast airports mainly serve as hubs to Asia.) Adding a third concourse and a second runway to ORF and expanding PHF to serve the Peninsula and western Tidewater should meet travel and cargo needs for years to come. And having two fields makes the airports more convenient for all users. HR should be happy to have two airports considering the metro population.

Archived