Newport News-Williamsburg International Airport

Merrittk92

This story is a bit dated. I stumbled on it and wondered if anyone had heard anything that could bring it up to date. It has the potential to be a huge feather in the area's cap. :thumbsup: A major economic coup. :wacko:

From the Virginian Pilot

Read the full article at:

Virginian Pilot

Region vies to attract Airbus plant to Newport News

By CHRISTOPHER DINSMORE, The Virginian-Pilot

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This story is a bit dated. I stumbled on it and wondered if anyone had heard anything that could bring it up to date...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, sorry man, bad news. Mobile, Alabama got it a few weeks ago. You might have heard about it on the news. It's part of EADS's strategy for currying favor w congress so they can be more competitive in our defense market. By employing Americans (and with their plans to team up with Northrop Grumman), Airbus was hoping to deflect much of the usual congressional criticism to buy "American", aka Boeing or Lockheed-Martin.

I was really hoping it would come to NN and I almost believed it would when I thought that since Airbus was trying to make an alliance with Northrop Grumman maybe by coming to NN they would cement that relationship (with Newport News Shipyard being a Northrop Grumman operation now), but heh... I guess for aerospace giants things like physical proximity are small beans.

I heard Mobile's economic incentive was enormous too ... like in the billions. Ours was something like 20 million or something, lol.

I heard Mobile's economic incentive was enormous too ... like in the billions. Ours was something like 20 million or something, lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hahaha yeah, I thought that was funny too. I remember reading an article analyzing why Alabama got it, and it seems pretty obvious to me: Go where the money is!! lol.

Soo...I'm guessing most of you would be against the idea of closing Norfolk and NN airports to build a bigger one out near Suffolk? I will admit that I didn't like that idea at first, but now I see both sides. I really like the idea of having one airport for our region, but at the same time there are cons against one big airport too, such as higher landing fees for airlines and a much longer distance to drive...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmm... where do I start?

The only reason to expand and build new airports should be because of need. I have heard plenty of people say that ORF is small and how NICE it is to be able to check in and walk a short distance to your gate. Or how beautiful the area around the airport is. I have never heard anyone say something derisive about ORF.

The plan you are talking about was to build an airport in Isle of Wight County and I just do not see the point nor do I see it happening. PHF and ORF actually serve two distinct areas and both seem to be doing well. Putting a new airport out there would encourage sprawl growth, just the way that Dulles had inspired the insipid business parks and hotels around it.

Actually alot of major metros in the US have multiple major airports.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is somewhat true. Washington DC and New York are like that. But most major metros, if they have multiple airports, have a dominant one. For instance, Chicago has Midway but Ohare is much busier. Houston has Hobby but George Bush is also much busier. Then there are the others like: Detroit, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Seattle, Dallas, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Boston, Phoenix, San Diego, that all basically have one airport. But in Hampton Roads, we have two airports that are both fairly close to the same size (NN- 1 mil, Norfolk- 4 mil), which I don't feel helps this area.

That is somewhat true. Washington DC and New York are like that. But most major metros, if they have multiple airports, have a dominant one. For instance, Chicago has Midway but Ohare is much busier. Houston has Hobby but George Bush is also much busier. Then there are the others like: Detroit, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Seattle, Dallas, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Boston, Phoenix, San Diego, that all basically have one airport. But in Hampton Roads, we have two airports that are both fairly close to the same size (NN- 1 mil, Norfolk- 4 mil), which I don't feel helps this area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why must we try so hard to be like other cities? We have our own identity, based on the waters that divide us. And those waters force use to utilize two airports. I don't think this is a bad thing at all. I think the convenience is great. I am afraid a lot of people on this board are so interested in becoming a major metro area with really really really tall buildings that they forget about the things that matter -- quality of life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dallas actually has two airports (Southwest uses Love Field). But every city you mentioned as having one airport (except San Diego) is a hub. HR will not become a hub because of airline consolidation and the glut of hubs on the east coast. The Triangle built RDU because American promised to make them a hub of its system. American backed out, but because they owned the gate rights, American's concourse sat empty and RDU never became a hub. San Diego is another story. It really needs a new airport, but local business interests have lobbied to keep the undersized facility where it is: close to downtown San Diego. It helps to have your airports close to the business centers: ORF is about 15 minutes from Downtown and TC and PHF is down the street from Oyster Point and City Center. As long as ORF and PHF can serve the needs of the area, there is no need to waste money on a fancy new place in Isle of Wight.

Why must we try so hard to be like other cities?  We have our own identity, based on the waters that divide us.  And those waters force use to utilize two airports.  I don't think this is a bad thing at all.  I think the convenience is great.  I am afraid a lot of people on this board are so interested in becoming a major metro area with really really really tall buildings that they forget about the things that matter -- quality of life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hear hear!! I'll raise my glass to that!

I fear that should we abandon reason and decide to become "one city" (which we undoubtedly are not) rashly, that many of the things that currently work, and work well in HR, would turn upside down.

I'm not concerned about what San Diego or Portland are doing ... because things in HR are generally going along quite well. While comparisons are useful for venting frustrations or exposing issues, it can also be counterproductive. Let's face it, this metro has a big pond in between it. It sucks sometimes, yeah, but let's not forget that our harbor is what makes Hampton Road's economy fly.

You know, I think the two airports serve HR optimally, actually. 1 central airport might seem like a neat idea for now but as far as I'm concerned it would only be a headache for people like me who live on the Peninsula. I commute to Norfolk every day and I hate it. If I move back here next summer, I'm going to do all I can to get a job on the Peninsula. Blame the transportation problem, my lack of pan-HR sentiment, whatever. It's just not convenient.

Bearing that sort of thing in mind, there are plenty of people from outside of HR that take advantage of our airports, both Norfolk and NN. I know many people from Richmond come to Newport News, not to mention Williamsburg, Toano, and surrounding areas. It would be a drag to have that option forcibly cut out... in fact, it may just hemorrhage the aggregate air traffic that we enjoy today between the two airports.

If the airports need to grow, they will. If they don't, they won't. Simple as that.

• 2 weeks later...

Crowded planes mean crowded lots

Newport News/Williamsburg International is adding parking spots and planning a garage

NEWPORT NEWS -- Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport is expanding its parking lots to catch up with a booming passenger rate that has surpassed the number of available spots.

The Peninsula Airport Commission is looking for a bank to help it sell $10 million in tax-exempt bonds for a new parking garage. The airport is adding a 200-space lot that should be done this week and a 600-space lot that should be complete by the end of August.

"The airport is as successful as any in the country, and you're going to have those types of growing pains," said Newport News City Manager Ed Maroney.

Maroney was referring to the growing practice of airport passengers parking anywhere there is open real estate on the existing lot, which has 1,400 spaces. The garage would add 880 spaces on top of the 1,000 that will be added later this year.

The commission, which owns and operates the airport, plans to get bids this fall and start construction of the four-level structure in mid-January.

"We decided we didn't want to do that during the Christmas holiday," said Mark Falin, the airport's manager.

Part of the reason they want to wait is that the new parking deck would displace 280 existing spaces, which wouldn't be replaced until the garage is complete. The garage would have 650 spaces for the public and 230 for rental cars that rental companies can lease for $100 a month.

The commission expects the project to cost about $11.5 million total. The garage would give the airport more than 3,000 spaces.

Rest Of Story

Crowded planes mean crowded lots

Newport News/Williamsburg International is adding parking spots and planning a garage

NEWPORT NEWS -- Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport is expanding its parking lots to catch up with a booming passenger rate that has surpassed the number of available spots.

The Peninsula Airport Commission is looking for a bank to help it sell $10 million in tax-exempt bonds for a new parking garage. The airport is adding a 200-space lot that should be done this week and a 600-space lot that should be complete by the end of August.

"The airport is as successful as any in the country, and you're going to have those types of growing pains," said Newport News City Manager Ed Maroney.

Maroney was referring to the growing practice of airport passengers parking anywhere there is open real estate on the existing lot, which has 1,400 spaces. The garage would add 880 spaces on top of the 1,000 that will be added later this year.

The commission, which owns and operates the airport, plans to get bids this fall and start construction of the four-level structure in mid-January.

"We decided we didn't want to do that during the Christmas holiday," said Mark Falin, the airport's manager.

Part of the reason they want to wait is that the new parking deck would displace 280 existing spaces, which wouldn't be replaced until the garage is complete. The garage would have 650 spaces for the public and 230 for rental cars that rental companies can lease for $100 a month.

The commission expects the project to cost about $11.5 million total. The garage would give the airport more than 3,000 spaces.

Rest Of Story

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just read that about 5 min ago... Somehow 1000 additional spaces doesn't seem like it'll keep up for too terribly long... :huh:

Airport DataCheck this data out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those stats are pretty old. Newport News/Williamsburg International just exceeded the 1,000,000 passenger mark. Far cry from the 500,000 posted. Also, I believe norfolk is close to the 4,000,000 mark. Don't know about richmond because I don't keep up with them.

Those stats are pretty old.  Newport News/Williamsburg International just exceeded the 1,000,000 passenger mark.  Far cry from the 500,000 posted.  Also, I believe norfolk is close to the 4,000,000 mark.  Don't know about richmond because I don't keep up with them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norfolk is close to 4 million? I was under the impression it was still hovering around 3.5 mil. Then again I have been wrong before. There was that one time ...

Norfolk is close to 4 million? I was under the impression it was still hovering around 3.5 mil. Then again I have been wrong before. There was that one time ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, by the end of the year it looks like we will be at 4 million for Norfolk, quite an accomplishment if you ask me. I've been trying to get updated passenger counts for June but the people at Norfolk Airport haven't gotten back to me. And urbanfan is right, NN should be at the 1 mil mark by the end of the year.

Yeah, by the end of the year it looks like we will be at 4 million for Norfolk, quite an accomplishment if you ask me. I've been trying to get updated passenger counts for June but the people at Norfolk Airport haven't gotten back to me. And urbanfan is right, NN should be at the 1 mil mark by the end of the year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NN is already at the 1 mil mark...

NN Hits 1 Million

6/04-6/05. It should be more by the end of this yr, given the phenomenal growth.

Norfolk had 3,778,216 passengers in '04. So, Norfolk should see 4 million this year.

I know in Richmond's case that every month this year has broken the record for passengers for that month. Also, in June, Richmond broke the all-time record for passengers in a month ever, with only a week's/minimal impact from Airtran. Now that airtran will be up and running and increasing destinations later this year, itll end up being a phenomenal year for the airport.

NN is already at the 1 mil mark...

NN Hits 1 Million

6/04-6/05. It should be more by the end of this yr, given the phenomenal growth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would someone count passenger numbers like that? I know they are counting over a year's period, but don't say that they already have a million passengers when you're adding last year's numbers to it. So far THIS year, NN probably has 600,000 or so. The way you said it it made it sound like NN would have more than two million this year, which is crazy. So if we count it like that, Norfolk already has more than 4 million and its only July! LOL.

Why would someone count passenger numbers like that? I know they are counting over a year's period, but don't say that they already have a million passengers when you're adding last year's numbers to it. So far THIS year, NN probably has 600,000 or so. The way you said it it made it sound like NN would have more than two million this year, which is crazy. So if we count it like that, Norfolk already has more than 4 million and its only July! LOL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently you misunderstood.

They counted from a 12 month period and since every month has had a marked percent increase of traffic over the same period a year before (for several years) it means that by recalculating the year from 1/05-12/05 it should be more than the 1 mil+ mentioned in the June-June figures.

Apparently you misunderstood.

They counted from a 12 month period and since every month has had a marked percent increase of traffic over the same period a year before (for several years) it means that by recalculating the year from 1/05-12/05 it should be more than the 1 mil+ mentioned in the June-June figures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand that, but I don't see why someone would say that NN has already hit the 1 mil mark. Based on yearly amounts which is the way that 99% of the world counts, (January-December), NN does not have 1 million yet, just as Norfolk does not have 4 million yet. Sure Norfolk or any airport might have a certain number, but don't pick and chose starting and ending months. I am not saying that NN won't get 1 million by the end of the year as it is almost a sure thing, but do you see what I mean about counting your passengers weirdly? I just think it is a misleading way to reach a milestone.

I understand that, but I don't see why someone would say that NN has already hit the 1 mil mark. Based on yearly amounts which is the way that 99% of the world counts, (January-December), NN does not have 1 million yet, just as Norfolk does not have 4 million yet. Sure Norfolk or any airport might have a certain number, but don't pick and chose starting and ending months. I am not saying that NN won't get 1 million by the end of the year as it is almost a sure thing, but do you see what I mean about counting your passengers weirdly? I just think it is a misleading way to reach a milestone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not like it would make any difference since every month's data is accounted for. If anything, it misrepresents the actual per annum amt by not waiting to take into account increased passenger traffic for the rest of 05.

In short, it makes no real difference and it doesn't make the airport growth any less real.

Archived