Newport News-Williamsburg International Airport

Merrittk92

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

90% of the world's port traffic in HR?

:lol: Correction, I should say "90% of the worlds shipping lines pass through Hampton Roads Ports". That is still a significant amount of international traffic and has only been getting busier, just look at all the recent terminal expansion. I'm just saying that it is quite feasible for this increase in international business to have a directly proportional affect of the demand for international air travel to HR.

Our neighbor in Gloucester was on the board of Patrick Henry Airport back in the 70's. I remeber him telling me about how they expanded the runway to accommodate 747's in the mid-70's to accommodate charter flights. I'm not so sure that the consistent demand wil be there for regularly scheduled widebody planes, but it would be great for the whole area if it were to happen.

Of course I would expect it to be something like 2-3 flight a week. With the NA HQ of Wolsely here, it's fairly justifiable along with accomodating people from around the HR-Richmond-NC region. Not to mention that Int'l flights could end up making PHF a small hub...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think there's more clout to be won in this situation than money. And Jamestown might be a part of Hampton Roads' metro area but it is pretty central to both locations so it's not unreasonable to expect Richmond to compete for much of the publicity and tourism. If we're going to get upset about Richmond trying to "steal" the flights from the rigtful recipient, then we should wonder also why Norfolk has the gall to try to steal from Newport News/Williamsburg. They are, after all, the closest airport by far.

I don't think Norfolk is trying to steal from NNs/Williamsburg when the airport can't handle those planes. They don't have long enough landing strips. Arguement out the door! This was discussed somewhere else in this forum.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Richmond Airport Steals Travelers with LoW Rates

Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport have lost customers to the Richmond airport, and Delta Air Lines and Delta Connections' flight reductions seem to be the main factors in the local airport's first-quarter drop in passenger traffic, according to airport officials.

Traffic fell by 4.2 percent

• 3 months later...

Just proof that Richmond International has no effect on NNWIA. Another record month. Read the press report

here. Also, expansion for parking is already under way. Our company just finished the design for the new parking garage that will add 700 spaces and test piles have already been driven. You can check out the press report here.

Delta joins airtran in offering flights to Boston

Delta Air Lines plans a November launch for two daily, nonstop flights to Boston from Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport.

The Atlanta-based carrier announced the new flights Friday, billing them as an opportunity for history buffs to visit famous places in Boston and on the Peninsula all on the same day.

Delta's announcement gives a second option to Newport News travelers looking for a direct flight to Boston. AirTran Airways now offers two daily nonstop flights to the Massachusetts capital. Flying on US Airways to Boston requires a stopover in Philadelphia.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for NNWIA but if ask me, the Peninsula Airport Commission has been nothing but shameful. It seems to me that they're resting on their laurels and relying completely on the airport's current success when there is so much more to be done. Parking is just an initial step.

For instance, doesn't anyone else wonder why the website for NNWIA is so damn stupid? How does that inspire confidence for any business? Which city fat cat's adolescent son designed these using microsoft word??

Do they market the airport? No. Norfolk, already so far ahead in terms of volume and commerce, is pursuing an aggressive advertising campaign that, while it may seem silly, appears to be working.

If you ask me, there really needs to be some kind of pressure from the outside for them to actually do something. If the airport actually had someone with vision at the helm, maybe the region would get more flights and business. Seems more logical than what's happening now.

This may be an unfair characterization, but it's my perception and perception is an important thing to consider.

By the way, hi everyone :).

Good news for NNWIA but if ask me, the Peninsula Airport Commission has been nothing but shameful. It seems to me that they're resting on their laurels and relying completely on the airport's current success when there is so much more to be done. Parking is just an initial step.

For instance, doesn't anyone else wonder why the website for NNWIA is so damn stupid? How does that inspire confidence for any business? Which city fat cat's adolescent son designed these using microsoft word??

Do they market the airport? No. Norfolk, already so far ahead in terms of volume and commerce, is pursuing an aggressive advertising campaign that, while it may seem silly, appears to be working.

If you ask me, there really needs to be some kind of pressure from the outside for them to actually do something. If the airport actually had someone with vision at the helm, maybe the region would get more flights and business. Seems more logical than what's happening now.

This may be an unfair characterization, but it's my perception and perception is an important thing to consider.

By the way, hi everyone :).

What's up dude! How have you been? I agree that their marketing strategy sucks. They need to do alot more marketing. I see ORF signs on the pennisula but don't see anything for the NNWI airport anywhere.

heh I'm actually in the Peace Corps right now doing NGO development work in Georgia (republic). My NGO here is a media development organization and I'm working on getting funding for some new educational television programming and building an english library in my town. Fun times. I miss home though, heh.

AirTran to fly between Peninsula, Fort Lauderdale

From the Virginian Pilot

"Beginning Nov. 1, AirTran will offer nonstop flights between Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport and Fort Lauderdale, Fla."

More good news for PHF. :thumbsup: I hope they can land some non-stop flights to the Mid-West (Chicago, Denver, Dallas) before the Quadracentenial. :silly:

Archived