Morgan Square Redevelopment

Spartan

It's starting to take shape. It is going to be an improvement, but i still think that the traffic pattern around the clock might be confusing. We'll have to wait and see. I'm getting ready to try to go drive Main, because they have just opened it up back to traffic. http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../509210335/1051

They are going to still keep Dunbar closed for equipment etc... I'll report back after I've tried the drive. Hopefully today

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Things are moving along pretty fast now. Most of the grass and landscaping is in the square. Pavers are down and they are working on the fountain and they haven't put up the fence yet. Lights are up and hope to be operational next week.

They are still working on the clock area. Currently putting down the foundations for the flag poles and also working on the sprinklers.

I think they are trying to have it pretty much wrapped up for "Dickens of a Christmas" on the 29th of November. Wouldn't be surprised if they close the area off to traffic pretty soon to put the final layer of asphalt and lines down.

Wish I had a digital camera. I've asked Santa (actually Mrs. Claus) for one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got to walk around the square this weekend. It looks really great. It sure beats that parking lot that used to be there. I really like the crosswalks. It connects to the other side very well. The pavillion area is better than I thought it would be. Its just a space that is available for a stage, rather than some sort of permanent stage setup (which is what I was expecting). I'm not a fan of those magnolia trees though. They will be too large and will have to be cut down at some point- but hey, at least they arent bradford pears. That little fenced off area I find confusing. I'm not sure what its for. My guess is that once its grows out a bit it could be sort of an 'isolated' place to go and sit. I didn't notice many benches. I also noticed the fountain was not complete, so I'm wondering if they are part of the last bit of work? Anyway, the square looks really good.

Theey weren't done with the western part yet, but its already better than it used to be. Just being able to drive Main St straight through is a major improvement.

I walked all over Morgan Square yesterday morning. Very nice! It isn't completely finished, but you could walk everywhere. I especially like the criss-crossing paths down by the clock tower. They seem to resemble the City of Spartanburg logo. I won't have a chance to be in town for tonight's Dickens of a Christmas (I'll be in DT Greenville at the Peace Center), but I'll certainly check it out sometime this week. :thumbsup:

Here is an image of the completed Square from the HJ:

morgansquarecomplete.jpg

Though its not entirely complete, what is left is nothing major. The city was impressed with nearly double the turn out for this years "Dicken's of a Christmas" festival, and businesses are already seeing an increase in business, or rather- a return to normal.

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...368/1051/NEWS01

• 3 weeks later...

Archived