Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

7 minutes ago, Seabrooke said:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article58276968.html

Im having trouble envisioning the building at Central Ave and Heath Ave being 8 stories of storage. Is this a typo or would it be a storage/apartment midrise?

Being discussed in Optimist Park/Belmont.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been meaning to ask, does anyone know info about the tattoo shop that's gone into that small corner across from Central Coffee, in between 10th St and Central Ave? I can't find info about it online yet. But I like what they did with the exterior, especially after having just come across this pic showing its facade history. A shame the bare brick was painted at all:

facade.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I've been meaning to ask, does anyone know info about the tattoo shop that's gone into that small corner across from Central Coffee, in between 10th St and Central Ave? I can't find info about it online yet. But I like what they did with the exterior, especially after having just come across this pic showing its facade history. A shame the bare brick was painted at all:

facade.jpg

They came so close to a nice product, but they ran out of blue paint on the left side and never bothered to finish the job. The painters tape has been left up for months and the trim around the pipes on the central side of the building is unfinished. I'm not a tattoo guy, but if I was, I'd certainly consider the sloppy finish on the outside and think twice before I chose them to permanently brand my body. 

1 hour ago, radiosimon said:

Anyone know what's happening with the old space where John's Country Kitchen was? I'm certain I saw a For Lease sign in the window for a while, but it's no longer there.

I really hope someone keeps a similar concept, just with an updated interior and longer hours. I doubt that'll happen though. John's was the last place in Charlotte (that I know of) other than Waffle House where you could sit at the counter and watch the cook prepare your food / talk to you.

6 hours ago, archiham04 said:

Word on the street is that the restaurant owners are paying their rent through the termination of the lease just to spite the landlord and keep him from putting anything in there for a while.

Must be some serious bad blood there to pay for something and not use it.  I can't imagine the rent is pennies...

21 hours ago, archiham04 said:

Word on the street is that the restaurant owners are paying their rent through the termination of the lease just to spite the landlord and keep him from putting anything in there for a while.

Ahhh...this whole thing is so unfortunate...I just hate to see the empty space and look forward to something happening there...its a good spot. It would be nice if they could even take some of the sidewalk/lot space next to it and have a patio...

Despite the two buisinesses on the bottom, I can't imagine the building is making much money. The second floor could be made into a couple apartments with premium rents for its location.

The FHA has a rehab loan that could help setup the building. Historic tax credits and the facade grant could help cut costs down as well.

16 hours ago, Midwoodian said:

Must be some serious bad blood there to pay for something and not use it.  I can't imagine the rent is pennies...

The owners (paraphrased) words to me were:

"The landlord gave the property to his kids and they told me they didn't want John's in the neighborhood anymore. They told me they're tripling my rent and not providing any assistance for needed upfits"

He was a little bitter about it for sure. Called them greedy a few times, was angry that they didn't respect the history and significance of John's in the neighborhood.

I hate it for him, but realistically, he probably could have made the rent work if he was all in on that location. He was open for breakfast only the last 2 years in that location. Hard to pay rent serving only 1 meal a day, especially when the food you serve for that meal is dirt cheap.

The bad blood is also related to the landlord's unwillingness to make requested improvements for the tenant.  

The owner said that by ending his lease he would be forcing them to make improvements that they would otherwise not be forced to make.   Not sure if that's how the process works but the relationship soured to the point that the tenant wants to hurt the owners pockets as much as possible.   

Hate to see it close...one of my favorite spots to meet friends for breakfast.   Even had a special designated jacket since you smell like grease after leaving.  

• Like 1

Great news about the Family Dollar shopping center. I would love to see the rest of the Central strip turn around. CLTCH brought a nice boutique and I enjoy Buffalo Exchange and Workman's Friend, but the rest of the block is just grubby. I'll buy bread from Nova's, but they seriously need to re-do the seating area. Clark's gives me the creeps. Fingers crossed that more shops similar to Moxie, Boris & Natasha, etc move in. We have enough smoke, tattoo and pawn shops! Attractive retail is key to a healthy pedestrian scene!

The poster who mentioned new "blue" tattoo shop at Central and 10th - the painter's tape on the side of the building has been driving me crazy, too. I cannot unsee it everytime I drive by!

In general, PM feels disconnected between the several blocks along Commonwealth Ave, then the old retail strip, then the random assortment of stores along central toward Uptown. It'll take time, though it'd help if the city did a few courageous improvements. I suspect that they're so afraid that new development will come in anyway that they're afraid to waste money, which IMO is defeatist as hell.

23 minutes ago, ATxIn said:

I'll buy bread from Nova's, but they seriously need to re-do the seating area.

YUPPP... That strange design is the main reason I don't go there. It's like they want me to sit in someone's living room with strangers. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

In general, PM feels disconnected between the several blocks along Commonwealth Ave, then the old retail strip, then the random assortment of stores along central toward Uptown. It'll take time, though it'd help if the city did a few courageous improvements. I suspect that they're so afraid that new development will come in anyway that they're afraid to waste money, which IMO is defeatist as hell.

I tend to agree and I'm curious - what ideas/improvements did you have in mind?

1 hour ago, ATxIn said:

Great news about the Family Dollar shopping center. I would love to see the rest of the Central strip turn around. CLTCH brought a nice boutique and I enjoy Buffalo Exchange and Workman's Friend, but the rest of the block is just grubby. I'll buy bread from Nova's, but they seriously need to re-do the seating area. Clark's gives me the creeps. Fingers crossed that more shops similar to Moxie, Boris & Natasha, etc move in. We have enough smoke, tattoo and pawn shops! Attractive retail is key to a healthy pedestrian scene!

The poster who mentioned new "blue" tattoo shop at Central and 10th - the painter's tape on the side of the building has been driving me crazy, too. I cannot unsee it everytime I drive by!

Not only does Nova's need new a seating arrangement, they need to finish the siding of the expansion they did.  The side facing Pecan still has Tyvek wrapping showing along the whole side of the building--and the Tyvek wrapper is weathering!  Ridiculous.  Its been probably a year.  How is that okay for it to sit there unfinished staring everyone in the eye.  Get it finished, Nova's!