Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they own 7 contiguous parcels there that total 1.7 acres. I'd guess it'll be a very similar project to the one across the street. Only a portion of the parcels are in the PED overlay, so they'll have to rezone if they actually do want to mirror the project across the street. 

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:14 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

Not that I'm particularly for or against it, but I can see Commonwealth Ave slowly creeping higher density properties down it for years to come.

The Commonwealth-Morningside Neighborhood Association is pretty much against that (from what I understand) and is working to solidify their expertise in land use review in order to effectively preserve the current mix of single family homes in that area.

On 5/23/2016 at 10:42 AM, archiham04 said:

The Commonwealth-Morningside Neighborhood Association is pretty much against that (from what I understand) and is working to solidify their expertise in land use review in order to effectively preserve the current mix of single family homes in that area.

lol, this is Charlotte. They'd be better off buying these so they don't have to hold their heads up while getting bent over.

taylor-in-the-stockades-trakai.jpg

16 hours ago, midwoodhoodie said:

I have spoken to a few new tenants of the Julien and they have been told that the 2 lots that have recently been cleared are going to be a "community park". Has anyone else heard this? I figured more apartments for sure. 

Seems doubtful to me. Veterans Park is only a few blocks down the street.

On April 25, 2016 at 2:35 PM, boochops said:

Either way, I'm hoping to make more land use meetings to keep on top of what's happening. And thanks for bearing with my lengthy posts. It's much safer to discuss this here thank on Facebook or NextDoor!

It's gotten intense on NextDoor just over the past weekend!

Personally I'm not a fan of it, mainly out of fear over what Mecklenburg Avenue is going to turn into if this developer is able to build this cul de sac.  I enjoy the larger lots that are near the country club and this development will easily change the aesthetics of the neighborhood.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, radiosimon said:

Hearing different rumors about the old midwood high school property that currently houses the Midwood International & Cultural Center. Anyone know anything? Is it going to be sold/redeveloped?

This was a hot topic a few months back, but seems to have died down at least temporarily. The school board had identified it as an excess property to be marketed for sale (since they have no intention to ever use it as a school again - facilities are not ADA compliant and would cost a ton to get there), however they got scared off due to ownership concerns.  The original deed to the school board from the city had a reverted clause that stated it needed to revert to city ownership if it ceased operation as a school.  Upon further investigation, it appears that claim was abandoned by the city in the 70s, so the school board does have full ownership (and right to sell). That said, last I heard they were not looking to sell at this time and were in negotiations with International House for a (1 year - which is shorter than normal) lease extension. Meanwhile, the city landmarks committee is reviewing this building's viability for landmark status. If so, it would make it harder to sell and tear down. 

Does all that jive with what you are hearing? Anything different?

Edited by GeauxCLT
Typos

I rode my bike down central last night, should have grabbed a pic, but MY GOD does that new apartment next to Thirsty Beaver look awful.  It makes the Nook look incredible by comparison.  Central really has a stock of underwhelming architecture.  Such a shame, Plaza Midwood deserves better.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I rode my bike down central last night, should have grabbed a pic, but MY GOD does that new apartment next to Thirsty Beaver look awful.  It makes the Nook look incredible by comparison.  Central really has a stock of underwhelming architecture.  Such a shame, Plaza Midwood deserves better.

But it's got the white/green/gray 8-bit video game wall facing the tracks. Classic...!!!...?

Edited by SgtCampsalot

38 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

But it's got the white/green/gray 8-bit video game wall facing the tracks. Classic...!!!...?

It's seriously the worst.  The wall is just SO commanding coming down central and so flat and bland.  I wish I could say they've improved upon it from this:

Capture.PNG

But I'd be lying.  One 305 "live outside the lines".  LOL.

I think the recently completed grey and maroon building further down Central is similarly atrocious. Such a shame, reminds me of the crap that gets built in Southern California. ..

Here's the link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2200544,-80.8074888,3a,75y,15.58h,107.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWAM86QOtoa7UKyk6YsmDQg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Edited by JBS
adding link

35 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

It's seriously the worst.  The wall is just SO commanding coming down central and so flat and bland.  I wish I could say they've improved upon it from this:

Capture.PNG

But I'd be lying.  One 305 "live outside the lines".  LOL.

The really messed up thing is that a 500 sq/ft studio is going for $975+. Now, that isn't all that bad of a price for the neighborhood, but when your window is mere feet from a train horn and no doubt the interior finishes are gonna be as basic as it comes that is total bs.

16 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

The really messed up thing is that a 500 sq/ft studio is going for $975+. Now, that isn't all that bad of a price for the neighborhood, but when your window is mere feet from a train horn and no doubt the interior finishes are gonna be as basic as it comes that is total bs.

If it were gray, it would look like a Russian prison.