Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

What is the consensus on here as to whether it will be sold and maintained vs. sold and torn down/redeveloped?  I would have to imagine that any potential redevelopment of the property would have significant push back from the current residents, not to mention the political backlash against the parties that prevented the original project, intended to save the Estate.  Not arguing whether it is within the rights of a buyer to do whatever they want with the property within existing zoning standards, but I would imagine there is potential additional risk involved if that route were pursued.

• Like 1

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, southslider said:

^Actually, a B-2 conditional zoning per Virtual Charlotte. Still, it should be pretty easy to rezone to straight-up R-5 without conditions, like most of the surrounding neighborhood.

Don't the conditions stipulate that any change to the structure would require a rezoning? It is my understanding that would include demolition (or rather building anything new would require rezoning).  I agree rezone to r-5 seems like it would be a given, but I imagine the neighbor's would brandish their pitchforks and fill the audience at that hearing. 

In in addition to that, it is in a historic district and a designated historic landmark. Both of these make it harder, more expensive, and slower to demolish - but admittedly don't prevent. The conditions on the current zoning are the strongest leverage the neighborhood has to seek preservation. 

We got clarification on that question, as a neighborhood, and city staff confirmed that downzoning to R-5 to conform with the surrounding area was not automatic, and did require a rezoning...  This surprised me...  Like you mentioned, downzone or no, the historic landmark status locks the structure into place for 1 year to give the city time to take via eminent domain, or for an Historic landtrust to purchase at market rate.

• 2 weeks later...

This is likley required by the city.  Again this is part of the connectivity principal.  If they had the money they would likely make the conneciton themselves.  Since they have a developer to hold hostage, they are saddlling him with this expense. Think of it as a backdoor impact fee.

• 2 weeks later...

I was not there, but I hear that the Fort St connection was a topic of discussion at the PMNA landuse meeting last night.  Plaza Midwood is a connected neighborhood, but there are several hidden little unconnected deadend spots that their inhabitants have come to love and enjoy.  Naive or not, I think most people have an expectation that the layout of an 80 year old neighborhood is not likely to change very much.  I don't  think the neighborhood is going to fight this, but we will probably try to lobby the city for calming measures.  This change will be DRASTIC.  Fort familes will be going from barely traveled street, to attractive cut through from Mecklenburg to Shamrock.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:19 AM, archiham04 said:

I was not there, but I hear that the Fort St connection was a topic of discussion at the PMNA landuse meeting last night.  Plaza Midwood is a connected neighborhood, but there are several hidden little unconnected deadend spots that their inhabitants have come to love and enjoy.  Naive or not, I think most people have an expectation that the layout of an 80 year old neighborhood is not likely to change very much.  I don't  think the neighborhood is going to fight this, but we will probably try to lobby the city for calming measures.  This change will be DRASTIC.  Fort familes will be going from barely traveled street, to attractive cut through from Mecklenburg to Shamrock.

The cutting through already happens, it just takes the path of Florida/Brook/Fort/Mecklenburg or the reverse of that, and I agree it is an issue.  I imagine it will get worse if you remove the 90 degree curve you need to take currently and replace it with a straight road.  Too many cars blow through the Stop signs and driving at excessive speeds in this part of the neighborhood.

FYI, in the map above, Brook is incorrectly shown as Lynhaven...

3 hours ago, southslider said:

So if PMNA thinks 80-year street stubs should remain unconnected, do you suppose they'll also fight Clement Ave extension for streetcar?  That dead-end is even older than Fort St and lined by homes protected by the historic district.

I don't think so. Very few homes exist on this stretch, and I think most people would prefer extending Clement to Hawthorne since it would create a bypass around the CSX crossing.

3 hours ago, southslider said:

So if PMNA thinks 80-year street stubs should remain unconnected, do you suppose they'll also fight Clement Ave extension for streetcar?  That dead-end is even older than Fort St and lined by homes protected by the historic district.

While we're at it, PMNA also opposes ISIS.

Lets not jump to any conclusions here. Archiham04 said "I don't think the neighborhood association is going to fight this." Jumping to "do you suppose they'll also fight Clement Ave extension for streetcar" seems a little presumptuous. PMNA is not the driver of this nor has PMNA taken any official stance. PMNA has created a land use group where these type issued can be discussed and if there is a consensus among neighbors, the association can take a formal stance. If the streetcar on Clement Avenue is a concern of yours, I'd encourage you to attend a land use meeting and bring it up. 

^I have read postings online (in the past) from Clement residents that are worried about Clement connecting, so I think it is a valid subject to bring up.   The Clement connection is a slightly different animal however.  Central Ave carries TENS of THOUSANDS per day.  When Clement is connected, Central Ave will detour onto Clement every time there is a train stopping traffic (Central>Clement>Hawthorne underpass).  

Connectivity in its purest form is great, but our side of town is strangled by chokepoints: Independence, the Rail Road, and others... and does not have a true and pure grid to distribute traffic in a blockage.  

Your comment dismissing neighborhood concerns as being "ridiculous" fails to take the context of the area into consideration.  

This neighborhood next to NoDa has the best bones to build an urban neighborhood experience outside of the CBD. I really hope the city can figure out the bids for the streetcar, because with that and some discretionary implementation of the overlay district this could be a great infill neighborhood. I'm a native looking from afar but I was very sad to see the stick-builts hit Midwood. 

^^ Regarding Thirsty Beaver, aren't they relocating across the street from Lupie's on 7th St next to Grier Heights?

The new 2 story building that is going to go up where Todd's flowers was is going to be leased to Novant Health.  Not sure if it will be an Urgent Care or just offices for affiliate doctors.

get.ishx?x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