Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b84370The old record store building is getting quite the make over! (It's really more of a blue. The sun was shining on it pretty hard)

20161029_175209.jpg

The stucco on the top looks terrible. The roof on the second floor was low so it needed to be raised, but not by that much. 

Nothing exciting is going in there. It'll be an office for a merchant processor, so it will contribute nothing to the neighborhood.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b84370

The way I see it, another building renovated is another asset that is that much less likely to be flipped for new construction.

Fair point.

John Rudolph and his business partner own it. They also bought the volvo repair shop and another two buildings on that block. They now own the entire block except the dairy Queen and the defunct pawn shop I believe.

Fortunately, they aren't the kind of people that want to destroy the look of the neighborhood with monster sized projects.

I know they eventually want to put another apartment on that block (something the scale of the nook of plaza25 most likely) and a hotel.

1 hour ago, archiham04 said:

The north side of Nandina is B-1, so i supose it with be on the south side of central.  Facing HT or Central?

Facing HT. It's already zoned for a building with a bay door, so no rezoning was necessary. The building was for sale a while back for a million dollars, but there were no takers, so the owner decided to put a car wash there. Not sure on the timeline for delivery.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess this is news to me, but it looks like the existing retail in front of One305 Central is being demolished. There's a permit in Accela for redeveloping the space for new retail and parking. That's interesting, especially since most people were disappointed that the new apartments lacked a retail component. I'm also hoping the new development is pushed towards Central, and that the parking spaces are in the rear. 

44 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

I guess this is news to me, but it looks like the existing retail in front of One305 Central is being demolished. There's a permit in Accela for redeveloping the space for new retail and parking. That's interesting, especially since most people were disappointed that the new apartments lacked a retail component. I'm also hoping the new development is pushed towards Central, and that the parking spaces are in the rear. 

They just spent money fixing those up with new roofs and HVAC systems. Are you sure it isn't for more upfits?

• 2 weeks later...

Several years ago (maybe in the Armchair developer thread) I provided what I viewed as a viable financing solution that would be a public/private partnership, that involved a TIF, and a period over which the city would collect revenues of spots, before reverting ownership to a private owner.

These are needed all over the in-town neighborhood.  PM would be best served if developed in the Family Dollar parking lots fronting Central next to CVS.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Parking deck maybe in Plaza Midwood? There is some discussion. http://developclt.com/plaza-midwood-looks-for-its-parking-spot/ 

It mentions added more street parking continuing down Central to Veterans Park. While that would certainly help, I'm surprised there isn't more discussion of adding street parking to the much more obvious Plaza. It carries way, way less traffic and could easily accommodate street parking. It might even relieve tight parking on the neighborhood streets.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Closing at the end of the month to make way for Roasting Company and an ABC Store.

Well the owner of the 12 acres of prime real estate this complex sits on just passed away about two weeks ago, so I'd expect sweeping changes for a VERY prime piece of real estate.