Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/6/2017 at 2:43 PM, archiham04 said:

Legion is actually in Chantilly.

EDIT: it is actually in the real estate subdivision of "Chantilly".  What confuses everything is the difference between a subdivision and a neighborhood.  A neighborhood is a nebulous thing.  The city recognized this in the seventies and worked to create "neighborhood" definitions that meant more than the subdivision names.  Neighborhood names are for obvious reasons associated with the subdivision boundaries and names which don't change, but neighborhoods change. Chantilly is a great example.  I guess in the seventies Independence had driven such a wedge in the neighborhood, they felt obliged to give commonwealth a separate name.  

Because Indy is such a huge barrier, people naturally changed the neighborhood they associated with. That's why the City doesn't have official boundaries for neighborhoods - they are constantly changing. Some are more well defined for historic or geographic reasons, but others are not and can change. 

For example, I think everything along Commonwealth down to roughly Briar Creek will eventually be considered Plaza Midwood. I also think that everything that is technically in "Optimist Park" north of Parkwood and south of Matheson will eventually become Villa Heights.  

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

I swear, the Thirsty Beaver will become one of those quirky things visitors will tell their friends about when they go home. He should consider a fresh repaint to help it stand out a little more.

honestly the city should bankroll an animated neon beaver sign. It would be the best money they ever spent. 

• Like 4

I swear, the Thirsty Beaver will become one of those quirky things visitors will tell their friends about when they go home. He should consider a fresh repaint to help it stand out a little more.

Paint that baby magenta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/24/2017 at 10:35 AM, uptownliving said:

I wonder if any of the leasing agents at this new project will know that the lobby and offices for this apartment are on the spot where REM recorded a lot of their hit songs.

I'm pretty sure REM recorded at Reflections replaced by Gibson apartments.  I have heard that the church on the site of the CampusWorks Apartment building was a studio... but I don't think it was the same league as Reflections.  Also maybe Hootie filmed a music video in that church?

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Crown said:

Technically Chantilly. . .  corner of pecan /shenandoah up for redevelopment 

Wow, that was only a matter of time. I noticed that Compression socks, a running sock company, that was in that strip moved down Caswell closer to the hospital, so I figured the redevelopment would be imminent.  Excited to see renderings or hear whats going in!

Edited by Midwoodian

55 minutes ago, Crown said:

Technically Chantilly. . .  corner of pecan /shenandoah up for redevelopment 

y8Ud46J.jpg

Some historic stuff deserves demo. 

#ismyhatredofmodcenturyirrational?

Not sure about parcel size but its a good spot for an urban model Publix with apts on top.

Edited by kermit