Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

^I think most would say that if Indy had not been converted to controlled access, Chantilly and Commonwealth would not have bounced back the way they have.  From what I gather, Independence kind of looked like Eastway looks today between Independence and Woodland Drive 

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 1

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old Carolinian said:

And, here's the Krispy Kreme at Hawthore/Indendence--1981 or thereabouts?

Image result for INDEPENDENCE BOULEVARD HAWTHORNE LANE

The site where this was pulled from said 1994, which seemed unbelievable - but then I looked at the cars. That looks like a ~92-94 Camry in the front there, that white Grand Am to the right is also an early 90s model. 

3 hours ago, wilmore said:

The site where this was pulled from said 1994, which seemed unbelievable - but then I looked at the cars. That looks like a ~92-94 Camry in the front there, that white Grand Am to the right is also an early 90s model. 

I thought the bridge at Hawthorne (crossing over Independence) was built in the 50s.  Are we sure that location description is accurate?

You're right about that Camry, that looks like a 90s model. 

6 minutes ago, Finkle said:

You are thinking  of the  Central Avenue bridge, Hawthorne never had a bridge.

Maybe I'm off base here, but the Hawthorne/Independence sections has a bridge carrying Hawthorne over 74. They are in the process of replacing it for the streetcar right now. That pic shows no bridge/overpass at all. 

there is a big gap in the data between 1978 and 1998 here, but the orientation of the historic photo of KK at Hawthorne can be determined here... looks to me like it is facing toward town.

ADDED: does anyone remember how they built this?  Did they excavate half and reroute traffic, or shut down independence entirely?

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 1

Independence was a mess when it was rebuilt, they dug a trench for the new road. KK  faced Independence  and there was a driveway off of Hawthorne  and one of Independence to access it. I always thought it was odd there was a single family home directly behind KK, you know those people hated the early morning  noise. At that time KK was open 24 hrs a day and it was the pickup location for non-profit & school doughnut sales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have no sympathy for Billy Maddalon, he has been holding the possibility  of demolishing the estate over the city council for many years now, trying to get his rezoning rammed through (from closer sources - public money will do as well).

Screw him. The estate deserves a better owner.

27 minutes ago, Missmylab4 said:

Anyone know the details on the retail/office project going up on Pecan behind Fuel Pizza?

image.thumb.png.def20bb5c7bfd95a66319c7c650b6add.png

Here's the plans for it.  From the sounds of it, its all for Nova Bakery. Its called Nova Corners, and the use seems to be Factory/Retail/Office for Nova.

I remember when Novakovic opened their bakery in the light industrial/office complex that was where the Lowes South Boulevard store is now. They had the location closest to S. Blvd and their small sign could be seen from traffic. I stopped in one afternoon to investigate and saw that it was a small commercial bakery that had a few items for sale individually wrapped, mostly bread. I have followed them since that time. They are a perfect sign of Charlotte growth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I remember when Novakovic opened their bakery in the light industrial/office complex that was where the Lowes South Boulevard store is now.

It all makes sense, now!

6 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

We were told that he was doing this to turn the property into an income producing asset, not necessarily to house any of the Nova's operations.

Yeah, way smart. I respect that a lot. This is something more people should be able to do with their own land (if zoning wasn't such an obstacle).

• Like 1