Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, GeauxCLT said:

Business journal subscriber article about renovations and heightening of PM post office. I always thought a fancy cocktail bar on the second level called the “PO Box” woulda killed it. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/18/buyers-adaptive-reuse-project-will-take-this-plaza.html

Interesting.  I always wondered if someone would lease it.   I guess they bought the whole building and will add on?   

I noticed leaving the Teeter earlier that fencing has gone up around the Scooter Shop and Viking Imports at Central and Nandina. Haven’t had a chance to do any research, but I’m guessing more multi-family to compliment the site on McClintock (3 quads and ~22 townhomes).

Edit: I looked on GIS (iPhone does not offer the same viewing options). Boulevard at Central 1800. It appears to be Faison.

Edited by CLTNative

6 hours ago, CLTNative said:

I noticed leaving the Teeter earlier that fencing has gone up around the Scooter Shop and Viking Imports at Central and Nandina. Haven’t had a chance to do any research, but I’m guessing more multi-family to compliment the site on McClintock (3 quads and ~22 townhomes).

Edit: I looked on GIS (iPhone does not offer the same viewing options). Boulevard at Central 1800. It appears to be Faison.

I didn't even realize those buildings were sold.  I assume it will be apartments.   

• 2 weeks later...

^ Regarding the former Penguin (more recently Comida) space:  as reported several months back in the Business Journal, Charlotte Magazine and more recently in the Charlotte Agenda  the restaurant will be named "N.C. Red "and is expected to open Q1 of this year.   Moffet Restaurant Group (Barrington’s / Good Food on Montford / Stagioni )is behind it .  Bruce Moffett described it as being a mix of southern and northeastern ("Red" in the name is a reference to Rhode Island) - fried chicken, collard greens etc. meets lobster rolls/oysters etc.  Charlotte Magazine had a good article on it back in May.

Moffet Group also announced plans about the same time (last summer) to open a ramen/asian restaurant in Optimist Park (Thompkins Hall) called Bao + Broth.  Not sure when that is expect to open.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 8:16 AM, atlrvr said:

I have a rendering somewhere.  I thought I had posted it, but don't see it.  Yes, it's Faison and will be townhomes.

The rendering I saw had a very industrial modern aesthetic, something a bit different from anything we have currently.

Edit.  Here it is, or at least here it is from 9 months ago, though I don't think it's changed.

1800_Central_Urban_Infill_Live-Work_Townhomes_Dusk_128x230.jpg 

If it looks anything like the photo you provided it will provide me some consolation at seeing valuable/very limited commercial space being converted to residential in a neighborhood that is arguably already overdeveloped in terms of the number of residents the local infrastructure can support with hundreds of units in the soon to be finished in the second phase of the Northwood Ravin development between Central and McClintock.  

Also, I really liked the look of the corner scooter/moped shop that was torn down the other day to make way for this project.  It was the one building in that strip along Central I thought worth preserving from an architectural point of view.   It would have made a great restaurant or retail space.   At least I can take some solace that the design of these townhomes will likely be a huge improvement compared to the awful stuff Drakeford is putting up.  It makes me sick to think I will have to look at the Lomax every time I go for groceries at HT- might look alright out in Indian Trail or Mint Hill but all wrong for PM imo.

• Like 2

The Stuart Cramer and Barnhardt family house and Cramerton and Barnhardt Manufacturing related history was discussed here and the house is photographed on page 136 of this thread. Today we see 36 new homes aborning on the property and the home itself for sale through/by the Historic Landmarks Commission.

https://www.presnc.org/properties/barnhardt-cramer-house/

First house is facing Cramer Barnhardt house. An open house on the street with family entering this afternoon. Last is a street view of the house. Homes here are 1.2 million $ and (far) up.

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

Long ago I dreamed of living in a million dollar home. Then time passed, much time, and conditions improved. At one point I realized that if I lived in a million dollar home it would be surrounded with quite similar million dollar homes, nearly indistinguishable. The illusion I created in my youth could not coexist with reality.

Luxury is space, time, privacy, as I have learned.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

Technically Chantilly but the underused building at the corner of Pecan and Chestwrfield is coming down today. Thrift has had a sign up for over a year claiming redevelopment at this site in Speing of 2018. Looking forward to hearing what will take its place while desperately hoping it’s not multi-family residential. 

F99FDCA7-0FAB-4788-B75A-24A637EE68FF.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 8:30 PM, sakami said:

Is Pinhouse still happening? I drive by all the time and I can’t tell if the work that’s going on over there is specific to this building or something else. There is also a leasing sign outside...

I just check loop net...they updated 2-15-2019..."Off Market".  might not be Pinhouse, but it is going forward.

2 hours ago, Crown said:

anybody know what's going into the old twenty-two space under soul? There's a sign up for a contractor but that place has been dark for a while. 

I don't, but I also noticed that they had started to renovate the small tatoo shop next door as well...  Possibly to combine them?