Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

That looks pretty cool - has anyone heard anything about Central 27? Has it started construction yet or what? I hope more projects pop up like this - Central would make a great urban corridor and the little shopping district has so much potential.

The costume shop hasn't been demolished yet. I don't know what the hold up is.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conformity Corp......they did Elizabeth Village on the other side of US 74.

Unless he has changed his original plan, the builder who some good friends of mine are close with has said this was going to be a 17 story project.

I don't know if Conformity group can command the financing needed for such a project, but at least it shows high aspirations!

8 stories will look really tall on that hill, especially from independence, which runs in a trench through the area.

(on a slightly related topic: I wonder if the density that conformity is adding to that site will cause CATS to look at ending phase I of the streetcar there instead of at the hospital.)

anybody know anything about morningside apartments. i heard a rumour that a groop of people (which included our mayor) purchased the property and plans to tear down and build big. i do know that it was on the market (20 million)... i also know that it is big tract of land. there is great potential here.

I don't know if it was purchased or not....I've heard for years that different groups have been interested but the current owners couldn't find a suitable tax-exchange property to roll their investment into....

I hope it sold, because they property has been one of the biggest negatives for that part of the city......and it really is a beautiful piece of land.

• 3 weeks later...

anybody know anything about morningside apartments. i heard a rumour that a groop of people (which included our mayor) purchased the property and plans to tear down and build big. i do know that it was on the market (20 million)... i also know that it is big tract of land. there is great potential here.

yo! for the last couple days i have seen surveyors @ morningside apts. doing their thing. that means something, right? is there anyway to look this up... for those of you who have mastered the tax and county web sites?

yo! for the last couple days i have seen surveyors @ morningside apts. doing their thing. that means something, right? is there anyway to look this up... for those of you who have mastered the tax and county web sites?

The surveying is probably just due diligence before they close on the property, if in fact it is being purchased. As for looking it up on Polaris or the Register of Deeds - it takes months, in some cases nearly a year to post the deeds on line. Someone would have to physically go the Register of Deeds office and search for in the the Grantor/Grantee index.

Interesting quote from the article.

"This was my aunt's bedroom," she said. "We used to come up here on her bed and look out the window, so we could see things on Central Avenue. There was a theater across the street. Watching people walk in and out of the theater was our entertainment."

The theatre was a wonderful single screen theatre (as they all used to be) with the original marquee and great detail that one used to find on these places. It had a walkup box office from the Plaza. Unfortunately in the late 1970s this area of Charlotte had become pretty seedy and that theatre had gone to showing XXX titles and was renamed the "Plaza ######cat Theatre". I believe it was in the early 80's when First Union came in and bought the building and demolished it, so they could build that ugly drive thru bank at the corner of central & the Plaza.

There is another article in today's paper about another house further out on The Plaza which may be demolished for new development. This house dates from the 1700's and may be one of the oldest residences in Mecklenburg.

Charlotte strikes me as one of the worst cities when it comes to historic preservation. The city has lots of shiny new skyscrapers, but little true character.

So "true character" is synonymous with "historic preservation" these days, or are you making two seperate statements?

Do you live in University City? I hear that a lot from people who live in University City.

Hmmm....an interesting observation that has never been shared before on SSC or SSP.....but sure, it doesn't do a great job. But neither did New York when they tore down more historic buildings to build crosstown expressways and block style public housing than Charlotte has ever had, or the same with Boston when they built 93 through the middle of the historic core....

I'm not trying to rationalize it by saying that it's ok if other places have done it worse, but like most cities, Charlotte simply followed trends of removing "blight" with the development standard du jour.

As a personal opinion, there have been many buildings that were demolished that had no reason to be so, because they could have been reused.....but on the flip side, a building is just a building....it is there to serve an economic or personal purpose and if it is no longer needed, then why not replace it with something that makes economic sense? New buildings ARE CAPABLE of being just as urban and pedestrian friendly as the buildings they replace.

I heard a rumor today that someone purchased the Morningside apts off of Central. Anyone hear any new news on this? The company i heard purchased it is associated with this site http://www.ionvillage.com.

Wow....that's some pricey real estate down there in the LoCo.....15 houses available from $715k-$1.7M. I really do enjoy that architectual style, and wouldn't mind seeing an infill development incorporate some of the design features....mainly the 2nd story balconies.

My parents just built a house that can also be found in I'On. The second floor porch is nice. Saussy Burbank has put up a few communities in the Charlotte area similar to that style. For the suburbs they are quite nice, multi-level porches, hardi-plank siding, etc. This style of home seems to be getting popular, historic look, modern ease.

• 2 weeks later...

http://virtualearth.msn.com/default.aspx?c...le=h&lvl=16&v=1

Here is the aerial image of the area.

I drove by those apartments for the first time a few weeks ago. They really are an eyesore. They are old and run down. There is also a lot of junk lying around.

It will be good if the new development plays up the nearby park.

All the parking will be in decks, too.

It is early in the process, though, as rezoning will be necessary.

http://virtualearth.msn.com/default.aspx?c...le=h&lvl=16&v=1

Here is the aerial image of the area.

I drove by those apartments for the first time a few weeks ago. They really are an eyesore. They are old and run down. There is also a lot of junk lying around.

It will be good if the new development plays up the nearby park.

All the parking will be in decks, too.

It is early in the process, though, as rezoning will be necessary.

Will all of this high density development be visable from Independence heading into Center city? I kind of like the way they are lining that coridor with condos and rental units. Very nice and Urban.

A2