Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

In the CBJ today they put a $275+ million dollar price tag on the Morningside Development. To give some perspective, that is the cost of almost 3 Epicenters ! I think this project will be MUCH more than we all anticipated.

:)

A2

Edited by A2

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i live about 2 blocks away from this project. i am happy they are doing something with this area and yes, the neighborhood has had some problems with the apartments. however, this is a very unique area to charlotte in its diversity. in fact i would go as far to say that it is the most concentrated diverse area in the city. not only do black and white americans live here, there is a large eastern european population as well as african population. also, a smaller latino make-up. i have always wanted morningside to undergo a transformation, but i had hoped for something a little more along the lines of 1st ward (earle village). the plan that has been presented is nothing less than gentrification. i can't help but to think where these people will go and how integral they are in plaza/midwoods make-up. also, i would not say morningside apartments are any more of a eye-sore than a cookie cutter sub-division. while there is some depravtion, morningside almost seems laid out like university dorms of the same era. they have planted and preserved a large numbers of oak trees... some of them majestic. the apartments offer some of cheapest rates around and more importantly they actually do a pretty thorough application process. yes, there are still some problems, and i am eager for some progress there, but pricing out the total make-up... somehow leaves me un-enthused.

This may provide a little more energy to the transportation plans for east side, though.

Remember the thread about the Stratford Apartments on Park Road being torn down? Some of us here seemed kind of wistful to witness the "character" of the old but servicable buildings removed.

I see this as a positive development, though. Those apartments are indeed quite tired and don't look much better than Piedmont Courts. From the lifetime perspective of a city, apartments are kind of disposable property. They are depreciated and "used up" in about 40-60 years, then something else gets built.

I would not be surprised to see many of the apartments in Univercity City and southwest Charlotte, get bulldozed at 30 years of age. They're just cheap vinyl junk and were built strictly for immediate cash flow.

Edited by MZT

• 2 weeks later...

i live about 2 blocks away from this project. i am happy they are doing something with this area and yes, the neighborhood has had some problems with the apartments. however, this is a very unique area to charlotte in its diversity. in fact i would go as far to say that it is the most concentrated diverse area in the city. not only do black and white americans live here, there is a large eastern european population as well as african population. also, a smaller latino make-up. i have always wanted morningside to undergo a transformation, but i had hoped for something a little more along the lines of 1st ward (earle village). the plan that has been presented is nothing less than gentrification. i can't help but to think where these people will go and how integral they are in plaza/midwoods make-up. also, i would not say morningside apartments are any more of a eye-sore than a cookie cutter sub-division. while there is some depravtion, morningside almost seems laid out like university dorms of the same era. they have planted and preserved a large numbers of oak trees... some of them majestic. the apartments offer some of cheapest rates around and more importantly they actually do a pretty thorough application process. yes, there are still some problems, and i am eager for some progress there, but pricing out the total make-up... somehow leaves me un-enthused.

I couldnt agree more with you on this one. This part of Charlotte seems to be the only hope the city has at actually being different then the other cookie cutter parts of the city. The diversity in that part of town and in any city for that matter is what makes great restaurants(family owned), unique shops, etc etc. I guess that area will turn into another yuppie haven. Oh well, Philly is looking more and more appealing to me these days.

There's a bulldozer parked next to the Costume House now. It may be demolished tomorrow!

12/9 edit: Stopped by, to check my mail at the PO. Looked over there, and....

to quote the McDonald's Hamburgler... RUBBLE RUBBLE

Edited by MZT

• 2 weeks later...

The site plan for the Morningside rezoning application is here (pdf). Observations: 30,000 sf retail (probably a cafe / restaurant at the 'public plaza'), max height 120' (9-10 stories??), will have to re-open connector streets to Commonwealth Av., max 1200 res. units ...

In other Central Av news ... the proposed development at Briar Creek and Central has been opposed by the neighborhood associations and they have withdrawn it yet again. The Morningside project has given folks hope for something a bit swankier than an Aldi I suppose.

I really hope this project turns out well and looks nice compared with the rest of the area on Central Avenue. I know it is going to stand out, but I hope it isn't an eyesore.

It is definitely a great location with most anything one would need within walking distance and it is going to put a lot more pedestrian activity on Central.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to Urban Planet, Sbishop.

I have moved your post to this thread, as we already had a thread for projects in that neighborhood. You can browse through to see what others have said about these sites.

I know that Conformity is planning a dense development on the Party Reflections site, which we can assume is a lot like their dense project on the southwest corner of Hawthorne and Indendence.

As far as the block north of Sunnyside, I'm not sure. There is definitely something going on, but I haven't heard any details.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ummm....can't really say at the moment, but think lower rise in general.....I don't have an update on the streetcar.

Here is a project that I'm really curious about.

http://www.helenadamsrealty.com/new-constr...il.cfm?nc_id=23

I like the idea of urban art deco, though I have no idea where this would go. I would love it if this is what Faison is planning for their project between Sunnyside and Central (next to the PR site), but I doubt Faison would do something this retro-mod. It looks like we'll have to wait a month to know.

Great news......that area is primed to explode with urban development. Is it residential over retail?

That's the way it looks. They've also got diagonal parking along Commonwealth on the site sketch, which would really change the way it feels on that Pecan to Plaza stretch.

Anybody know what is going in across from the Common Market where they just demo'd that old two-story home?