Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Does anyone have any updates on the Three Publicans bar?  I haven't seen any progress on that building.  I did hear where Healthy Home Market should open in August.

Interestingly Last month their submittal changed from Three Publicans to "Workman's friend" and they put in a new submittal request. I think they are doing something new now. So it has to go back through the processes.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed a sign for "Catch On Seafood Market" where Volume Lounge was located for a short time.  I can't seem to find anything on the internet- does anyone have any info on this? I would welcome a good seafood market in the hood, but can it compete with Harris Teeter's Department, or is Catch On just a name of a restaurant?

Just noticed a sign for "Catch On Seafood Market" where Volume Lounge was located for a short time.  I can't seem to find anything on the internet- does anyone have any info on this? I would welcome a good seafood market in the hood, but can it compete with Harris Teeter's Department, or is Catch On just a name of a restaurant?

They currently sell at the Plaza Midwood Farmer's Market.

They deliver fresh seafood from the coast daily. They have nearly 1,300 likes on Facebook, so they must have a pretty decent following.

I don't think this is going into Volume Lounge's spot. I think there was a small vacant space next to Volume Lounge where this company will be housed.

While it may not be historic it is a little unique and different. I'd rather it not be replaced by something that could easily be found in any other neighborhood in any other city. Charlotte is already lacking in funky and unique structures. And for the new building to not have any retail just adds insult to injury.

There is no chance new retail would have survived there. There is plenty of other retail space in the area (with several vacant spots) that could be rented for much less.

Across the street you have Salvation Army, Intermezzo, Central Coffee, the White Rabbit (which admittedly isn't going to appeal to many people), a dry cleaner, Kick Stand, a smoke shop, another dry cleaner, the now empty Loco Lime spot, and an empty retail space that used to be a bar. There is retail on pretty much all sides of the building.

Of all the buildings that are being removed for this project, Grand Central is the one I care the least about. It doesn't offer a streetfront and it doesn't offer any amenities that are used by the general public. I'd be thrilled if it was the only building getting torn down. At least the Reflections Studio was relatively urban in design. Grand Central was not.

The building at 1000 Central Ave. has more merit than it has been given here.  The facade is original, and is rare by Charlotte standards for it's Art Deco Styling.  It started out as a Colonial Grocery Store, and later became the Stone School Supply Building.  Built in 1941, it does have some qualities, especially regarding materials, that I'm sure it's replacement won't have.  But not to worry, it will be a heap soon enough.

Completely random question here, but was there ever a conclusion as to the origin of the fire that gutted social status?

I believe it was blamed on electrical.  I thought it was weird timing considering they just finished remodeling.  Maybe the remodeling is what cost the electrical problems.

I believe it was blamed on electrical.  I thought it was weird timing considering they just finished remodeling.  Maybe the remodeling is what cost the electrical problems.

Well the guys they had remodeling that placed looked like a sketchy amateur operation anyway. I used to walk by there every day for lunch and always wondered whether they were even licensed contractors. I'm sure they were, but they certainly looked like a cheap operation.

Yeah, I always had a strange feeling about that whole thing. While there was never anything that was all that appealing to my tastes in there they were always very polite the few times I strolled in there. I really hate to see local shops like that go under.

They're coming back.

They just put a new sign up on the facade a few weeks ago I think. If they didn't then I just completely overlooked that sign for the last year. 

Can't we the citizens who live here do something about it. Seriously, I'm ready to get creative. This cannot keep happening unchallenged.

That is just crazy, well I guess my second question is.....is it this bad in other cities? Are we with a majority of cities that are seeing new apartment/building projects being built without retail? Is it a product of the 'economy'? I just don't get how some of these developers don't add it in certain locations, just seems like a WIN. The mint for example, PRIME location for a retail lined bottom floor. I guess I just don't get it (and it makes me angry like everyone else).

Can't we the citizens who live here do something about it? Seriously, I'm ready to get creative. This cannot keep happening unchallenged.