Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

I don't think this has been mentioned anywhere, but another tenant in that strip mall in PM is Colsen Keane - a high-end handmade leather goods manufacturer. Major $$$ for their stuff, but they advertise in several men's magazines and airline magazines - nice to see Charlotte, NC attached to their stamped-in logo on their goods. Comments that I've read about the company's products are that they make top-notch stuff, and their products do show an extreme attention to detail and quality in the photos on the website. I'm a self-proclaimed luggage whore, with probably $3,000 worth of luggage (or maybe more - mostly Tumi stuff - but then again I travel non-stop so luggage is an important thing to me), so I can see one of these bags in my future.

http://www.colsenkeane.com/

• Like 2

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/10/pollack-shores-batson-cook-break-ground-on.html

The new apartment complex in south end plaza midwood on Central broke ground today. Excited to get some units in plaza....

This project has been underway for months.  They leveled two buildings and a house and have been working on the grading and digging the whole for the foundation for quite sometime now.  The town homes back behind Joe Hooper's are underway as well.  Also, I heard that the land next to the train tracks and fern is still under contract with the group that wants to build the apts there.  Faison I believe.

^Its Tribridge out of Atlanta. They're building 246 units.

Which project is Tribridge?  Has the one at Clement and Central changed?  Here is the initial article that was posted on here a while back on that one:  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/06/faison-sereo-planning-apartment.html?page=all

Between The Gibson, the project that may happen beside the Beaver (where the church stands today), and the project between the tracks and Clement, that whole stretch of Central will be a lot more friendly to pedestrians IMO. It will look a lot more inviting anyway and stretch the core of PM most of the way to Uptown.

Between The Gibson, the project that may happen beside the Beaver (where the church stands today), and the project between the tracks and Clement, that whole stretch of Central will be a lot more friendly to pedestrians IMO. It will look a lot more inviting anyway and stretch the core of PM most of the way to Uptown.

Agreed!  I can't wait to see this all shape up.  I really wish more of these places were putting in some retail, but I'll take the bodies first with retail to come later.  Also, if some of the projects west on Central Ave pan out (Walgreens at Eastway and Advance Auto near Shell), then I think retail might hit a tipping point.

Several ages back someone mentioned a Bruegger's going in at Central and Morningside.  However, I recently saw that one of those buildings next to Krazy Fish applied for a rezoning to move their dumpsters and do some other minor work.  I assume that they would not be doing that if the building was being torn down for another development.  Does anyone know if this was just a rumor if this is/was actually in the works?

Which project is Tribridge?  Has the one at Clement and Central changed?  Here is the initial article that was posted on here a while back on that one:  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/06/faison-sereo-planning-apartment.html?page=all

Yes.This is the same site, but Tribridge is now the developer and I don't believe it'll be two phases, just one. The retail is being subdivided and kept by the owner. 

Agreed!  I can't wait to see this all shape up.  I really wish more of these places were putting in some retail, but I'll take the bodies first with retail to come later.  Also, if some of the projects west on Central Ave pan out (Walgreens at Eastway and Advance Auto near Shell), then I think retail might hit a tipping point.

Several ages back someone mentioned a Bruegger's going in at Central and Morningside.  However, I recently saw that one of those buildings next to Krazy Fish applied for a rezoning to move their dumpsters and do some other minor work.  I assume that they would not be doing that if the building was being torn down for another development.  Does anyone know if this was just a rumor if this is/was actually in the works?

I believe that it's going in the empty lot between Landis and Tippah Park Ct. on Central Ave, and is still in the works.

Yes.This is the same site, but Tribridge is now the developer and I don't believe it'll be two phases, just one. The retail is being subdivided and kept by the owner. 

Interesting.  This also makes more sense after it came out that Fern and the other little bit of retail would remain.  Faison was going to take that down.

Interesting.  This also makes more sense after it came out that Fern and the other little bit of retail would remain.  Faison was going to take that down.

I'm glad for that. They're not the most urban buildings but will serve to break up what could become a long stretch of fairly monotonous apartment facades and keep a mix of more affordable retail spaces. I wish the same thing had been done with one or both of the buildings up the street at the Louise/Central project but they weren't seeing active use and were probably in pretty bad shape. 

As a longtime Plaza Midwood resident, I must admit that I'm not overly excited about the apartment boom along Central heading into Plaza Midwood. The thought of massive, ugly, crappy apartments and more and more bars isn't that exciting. It's Pineville North. It would be one thing if there was a bit more retail, but these apartments will be falling apart within a decade. I have no earthly idea how people claiming to be architects "create" such crap. These apartments are to housing what baby food is to fine dining.

^ And if you own a bungalow in Plaza-Midwood, it probably came out of the Sears catalog.....

I say that only half-snarkaly, as I own a bunglaw in Elizabeth, that while conisdered charming today, is totally generic in every way imaginable. 

Manhattan is full of ugly buildings which in turn is full of people, which in turn allow for interesting things to occur.  Maybe I'm in a blase mood right now, but I'd rather have ugly density, than the surban industrial buildings most of this is replacing.

• Like 1

As a longtime Plaza Midwood resident, I must admit that I'm not overly excited about the apartment boom along Central heading into Plaza Midwood. The thought of massive, ugly, crappy apartments and more and more bars isn't that exciting. It's Pineville North. It would be one thing if there was a bit more retail, but these apartments will be falling apart within a decade. I have no earthly idea how people claiming to be architects "create" such crap. These apartments are to housing what baby food is to fine dining.

Welcome to the forum LoLo!

Yeah, I'll take even ugly buildings as long as they increase the potential for interesting places and interactions. In great cities you don't even notice the ugly buildings... and there are plenty of them, even in NYC/SF. For every Rockefeller Center or row of "painted ladies," there are three dozen featureless 19th-century brick tenements or a hundred undistinguished vinyl-sided row houses.

While I love and appreciate places and experiences, my fear lies with the ultimate fate of Eastway Dr. As a native, this was THE corridor in the 80s. Lots of development that lost its luster within 20 years. I don't approve of the PM momentum being gobbled up by short sighted development. I have been to the rezoning meetings and voiced my concerns. Thoughtful development, retail or not, is vital to Central Ave.

While I love and appreciate places and experiences, my fear lies with the ultimate fate of Eastway Dr. As a native, this was THE corridor in the 80s. Lots of development that lost its luster within 20 years. I don't approve of the PM momentum being gobbled up by short sighted development. I have been to the rezoning meetings and voiced my concerns. Thoughtful development, retail or not, is vital to Central Ave.

not even remotely comparable situations in my opinion.

While I love and appreciate places and experiences, my fear lies with the ultimate fate of Eastway Dr. As a native, this was THE corridor in the 80s.

I think that's kind of misplaced. Eastway was pretty much standard strip mall and "garden apartments" developments... that never leads to a good sense of place.