Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it is frustrating to see soooo many forgettable projects being proposed we have to remember that this is just the way it is nowadays. It's not like we're going to see any stone or marble any time soon. Neo-Gothic and art deco is few and far between. EIFS and ugly siding is the norm.

Besides, even after everything that is currently proposed there are still plenty of opportunities for ground floor retail along nearly every thoroughfare in town. Sure I would love to see storefronts up and down Central, but now I'm starting to view these current infill projects as catalysts that will bring on the retail. The demand from all the new residents will eventually be impossible to ignore.

Keep in mind this neighborhood has always been very suburban, with exception of a 1 block stretch. Its not going to all be Urban overnight. Its going to need to be built up a little, and have a lot more density before we can except urban retail and everything that goes along with it. Like previous poster said, retail follows rooftops. 

Our wonderful city has one of the lowest densities per square mile in the US for cities over 250k. It takes time. We are just now unwrapping ourselves from the clutches of suburbia. 

Well it looks like "Catch On Seafood" opened over the weekend although they are still doing a little work on the inside, Yama finally got a new sign, they are doing a ton of work gutting the inside of "Workman's Friend", and they have installed windows and are about to install hardi-plank siding on the addition to Nova's.

Even though the newer apartments along and just off Central lack retail, they still have better urban design than the older, garden-style pods of East Charlotte. Mixed use would be great, but walk-friendly form is key.

And I'm certain like you like these new apartments along Central, people liked what went on Eastway decades ago.

And I'm certain like you like these new apartments along Central, people liked what went on Eastway decades ago.

Garden style vs (semi) urban design. Far out in the burbs (at the time) vs right in the heart of the city. Urban renaissance vs a national pattern of urban decline.

Again, not even close to comparable situations.

If they were tearing down the core of PM to build apartments, I'd be upset. Instead, we're seeing long unused buildings that had virtually 0 activity going away.

Would I like to see the church on Central & Hawthorne stay? Absolutely, but not if it is just going to keep sitting there unused and falling apart. Would I like to see the pawn shop between the tracks and Clement remain? Hell no, anything they put there, retail or not, is a big improvement.

The apartment planned down by the VFW is another huge net plus. We'll see buildings that are unused with no architectural or historical value go away in favor of active use.

What is happening in PM is a huge positive and I hope we see many, many, many more projects take place.

• Like 2

I think it is just offices for their business. Might be to expand production. Can't remember.

It is for Nova's operations though.

i stopped in the other day and talked to them. so offices will move up there and they will be expanding the dinning/seating area on the main floor. I'm interested to see what comes of it. 

i stopped in the other day and talked to them. so offices will move up there and they will be expanding the dinning/seating area on the main floor. I'm interested to see what comes of it. 

Ah thanks for the info.

I wish they did sandwiches there. My office is in P-M, so I'd stop in for lunch at least once a week if they had lunch food.

Demolition has begun on Marvel Apartments, the boutique apartment building next to the VFW across from the small Shell station.

That's great news. Legions has also begun interior demo on Brodt's and the interior demo on Workmen's Friend has started to pick up some steam as well. Any news on the proposed apartments on Commonwealth and St. Julien? They was a crew of about 20 people there yesterday clearing out the space behind the abandoned buildings and Independence...

Demolition has begun on Marvel Apartments, the boutique apartment building next to the VFW across from the small Shell station.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/vfw+charlotte+nc/@35.2200124,-80.8070138,3a,75y,11.37h,73.82t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sk8ZmNXhuKjC0ff2yVz-dqQ!2e0

This lot next to Tommy's?

Posting a link to the rendering as I knew it was art deco-ish but forgot the exact look.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/10211-plaza-midwood-projects-central-commonwealth-the-plaza/page-75#entry1286353

I believe it is that lot and the lot to the west.  In fact, the demo I saw yesterday was to the first building to the west of your street view link.  I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.

Actually, upon further review, I think it is only the lot to the west of your street view image.  I think the empty lot will remain vacant.  See the approved plans here (under "Attachments"): 

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=14LDR&capID2=00000&capID3=00081