Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Agreed these two buildings should go to make way for structures that will better utilize the space. I hate to hear a parking lot will take their place. In lieu of more surface lots/decks, folks that don't live in Plaza should just get a ride with Lyft or Uber, espeically if they're coming over to drink at one of the neighborhood bars.

Veering off topic a bit, but still related to the best use of space in Plaza; my biggest wish for the neighborhood would be to doze everything in the Family Dollar shopping center and essentially turn that entire parcel into a Charlotte version of Dolores Park. A pipe dream I know, but wow would it add so much character to the area and create even more demand for urban-style retail and residential surrounding it.

dolores_park_1920-900x562.jpg

Something like that would be awesome.

Hell, I'd settle for them just putting up a fence like HT and letting vines grow through it to hide the parking lot. Anything is better than the way it is right now.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Center City Partners administers the Municipal Services District within the I-277 loop and South End, and cannot focus outside of those boundaries as that is the tax pool their funding comes from. The only way that they could extend their reach into the inner ring is if the majority of businesses/residents in an area elect to tax themselves at a special rate so that CCCP services could available in that area.  

Yeah, I remember that now...and that makes sense.

Something like that would be awesome.

Hell, I'd settle for them just putting up a fence like HT and letting vines grow through it to hide the parking lot. Anything is better than the way it is right now.

Haha...agreed.  I also think this lot would be the best candidate for a deck, so keeping it would be nice.  When Morningside Village was foreclosed, I hoped the city would buy the land to expand Veteran's Park.  It would have been perfect, and relatively inexpensive during the downturn.  Obviously funding would have been a major issue.  No need to talk about missed opportunities though.

Aw, as someone who used to work in the tiny brick building next to Brodt's, it's bittersweet to see it go, but even I know it's not the "highest and best use" of the land. I'm just so happy that the Brodt building isn't getting dozed. We were so worried that whomever bought it wouldn't invest in updating it and keeping it around. 

Thanks pgsinger for such an informative response (and everyone else for your thoughts as well).  I have the same hope that the increased residential density will encourage more retail development.   I am quite certain, however, that the effect all the development will have on local traffic will remain an afterthought on the part of the city.  I've already kissed my 8-10 minute commute goodbye.   

Also, don't get me wrong.  I am not attached to the two buildings next to Brodt being torn down, I just hate the thought of any surface lot going in - the effect having to drive by Levineland and the Family Dollar every day.  Once something becomes a surface lot I just assume it will remain so for decades.  

I was thinking a deck where the Midas is near Independence would be great.   As far as Niner National's suggestion for the Family Dollar lot, ask my wife how often we drive past and I say how happy I would be if the owner would plant just one friggin' tree!   Would it kill him to plant just one miserable tree as a sign of good will if nothing else?  I feel like that huge asphalt desert is just one gigantic middle finger being extended to everyone who lives and works in PM.

Thanks pgsinger for such an informative response (and everyone else for your thoughts as well).  I have the same hope that the increased residential density will encourage more retail development.   I am quite certain, however, that the effect all the development will have on local traffic will remain an afterthought on the part of the city.  I've already kissed my 8-10 minute commute goodbye.   

Also, don't get me wrong.  I am not attached to the two buildings next to Brodt being torn down, I just hate the thought of any surface lot going in - the effect having to drive by Levineland and the Family Dollar every day.  Once something becomes a surface lot I just assume it will remain so for decades.  

I was thinking a deck where the Midas is near Independence would be great.   As far as Niner National's suggestion for the Family Dollar lot, ask my wife how often we drive past and I say how happy I would be if the owner would plant just one friggin' tree!   Would it kill him to plant just one miserable tree as a sign of good will if nothing else?  I feel like that huge asphalt desert is just one gigantic middle finger being extended to everyone who lives and works in PM.

lol yep.

The president of my company looked up our Charlotte office on Google Earth at one point and thought our office was in the hood because of that terrible shopping center.

When he finally came down to visit, he realized it was just sort of an eyesore in an otherwise great neighborhood.

There is about a 18-24" gap between the sidewalk and the end of the parking lot right now. This gap is currently concrete, but I'd love to see Hatcher do one nice thing for the neighborhood and dig up that concrete and plant a row of hedges there. It'll never happen though. Not even if we donated the hedges to him.

I heard a rumor that Birchcroft Apartments on the North side of Central Avenue just past Eastcrest Dr. recently changed ownership.  Anyone have any details on this?  I hope this leads to serious renovations and improvements to that complex.

I had also heard that Ginko Residential was looking at one of the on Eastcrest, Green Oaks (maybe?).  I do not think it was Ginko that bought Birchcroft though...

Finally, anyone going to Young Real Estate Professionals event at Fahrenheit tonight?

This information was posted on the PMNA fb page.  Does anyone on here know the 411?  can you post so I can skip the meeting?

These are apartments planning to build on Commonwealth at St Julian, replacing the warehouse looking building.

Please join us for another Commonwealth Apartment Update. 
Tuesday 11/18 @ 6pm
Commonwealth United Methodist Church – Fellowship Hall
2434 Commonwealth Ave
Charlotte, NC 28205
We will be presenting and discussing:

Current Plans 
Building Rendering
General Contractor
Construction Schedule
Communication Procedures

Thank You for your time,

^The apartments at St. Julien and and Commonwealth (no name chose for the development yet) are being built by Levine Properties.  It will be approx. 100 units, mostly single/studios with one parking spot per unit.  All rentals and no retail component.  Parking will be surface level in the center of the building (hidden from street view) with some on street parking spots on St. Julien.    Construction is supposed to begin mid-December and projected completion is first quarter of 2016.  Exterior  (four stories) is mostly brick and a blonde stone-block skirt.  Sorry, I have seen a rendering but don't have one to share.  It will be dog  and bike friendly.  

^Actually I asked the Levine Properties rep about the siding and was told that at least on the front facing Commonwealth it will be almost all real masonry (real brick and real stone) not engineered product.   Think similar toThe Enclave on 7th Street except all brick above the first floor and  I think Imy memory is fading) less prominent balconies (and no corner balconies).  Kinda even reminded me of the new HT too.  According to the reps, Levine wants to hold on to this development for the long term as opposed to selling it soon after completion.  They weren't looking for originality or to make a statement architectually speaking, but wanted it to fit in with PM and stand the test of time.  Interestingly,  the guy overseeing the project oversaw the construction of the new PM Harris Teeter.  

^The apartments at St. Julien and and Commonwealth (no name chose for the development yet) are being built by Levine Properties.  It will be approx. 100 units, mostly single/studios with one parking spot per unit.  All rentals and no retail component.  Parking will be surface level in the center of the building (hidden from street view) with some on street parking spots on St. Julien.    Construction is supposed to begin mid-December and projected completion is first quarter of 2016.  Exterior  (four stories) is mostly brick and a blonde stone-block skirt.  Sorry, I have seen a rendering but don't have one to share.  It will be dog  and bike friendly.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/11/levine-properties-to-start-construction-on.html?page=all

Here is the biz journal article on the matter

Actually pretty decent looking. Not bad.

Also, its nice to see Danny throwing his weight around the city and getting some projects off the ground.

Edited by Guest

The reaction on fb has been amusing.  I am having a hard time understanding or deciphering any underlying cohesion though.  Some people are against apartments.  Some people are against low quality construction. There are some that seem to think that new housing pushes out affordability.  Others think that every apartment structure built, should have retail below it.

I'm starting to think that people are generally averse to change.

The reaction on fb has been amusing.  I am having a hard time understanding or deciphering any underlying cohesion though.  Some people are against apartments.  Some people are against low quality construction. There are some that seem to think that new housing pushes out affordability.  Others think that every apartment structure built, should have retail below it.

I'm starting to think that people are generally averse to change.

P-M hasn't been "affordable" in a long time. When you have 2 BR houses going for 300,000+, affordability is not a thing anymore.

• Like 1

Wow, nice looking place. What a shame that we ended up with a high-rise prison next to Dairy Queen while an attractive, well built structure like this will be tucked back on Commonwealth.  

• Like 1

Wow, nice looking place. What a shame that we ended up with a high-rise prison next to Dairy Queen while an attractive, well built structure like this will be tucked back on Commonwealth.  

A high-rise prison? That's a pretty harsh description.

Mid-rise prison, maybe.

Edited by Windsor Parkitect
  • Like 3

I can't help but think the developer eventually thinks that the DQ will close and that horrible facade will be hidden.

Either way, he is a dickhole for not even trying to make that side of the building look decent. To make things even worse, he picked the worst colors imaginable. 

Why don't more developers put out requests to have local artists put up murals when a building has a large blank wall? Other than probably having to pay a fee to the artists for their time I don't see the negative. It would draw more attention to an otherwise bland apartment structure and potentially help make the building more a part of the neighborhood.

• Like 3