Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like "Social Status" has finally re-opened and they are making some progress with "Workmen's Friend" (I spoke to the GC who said that they are still hoping for a late spring opening) as well as "Legion Brewing" (it looks like they delivered a bunch of dry wall the other day).

That being said, has anyone heard anything about the 2 large apartments that have been proposed on Central on either side of the railroad tracks?

It looks like "Social Status" has finally re-opened and they are making some progress with "Workmen's Friend" (I spoke to the GC who said that they are still hoping for a late spring opening) as well as "Legion Brewing" (it looks like they delivered a bunch of dry wall the other day).

That being said, has anyone heard anything about the 2 large apartments that have been proposed on Central on either side of the railroad tracks?

What is Social Status?

The one on the east side is 90% definitely happening.  The building with Fern is remaining, and the rest of the buildings are getting demoed (pawn shop and the buildings right on the corner of Clement.  I believe it will be 5 stories in height, with no additional retail, but again. Fern will remain, the project will wrap that building, so that's cool.

I don't know anything about the rumored project between the Beaver and Hawthorne.

The one on the east side is 90% definitely happening.  The building with Fern is remaining, and the rest of the buildings are getting demoed (pawn shop and the buildings right on the corner of Clement.  I believe it will be 5 stories in height, with no additional retail, but again. Fern will remain, the project will wrap that building, so that's cool.

I don't know anything about the rumored project between the Beaver and Hawthorne.

This is a reduced scale from what was original announced right?  I think it was going to be 400 units total in two phases of 200.  I vaguely remember hearing that it will be 296 when completed, correct?  Also, how far back are they now going?  Will the warehouse space in the back of that lot remain?

This is a reduced scale from what was original announced right?  I think it was going to be 400 units total in two phases of 200.  I vaguely remember hearing that it will be 296 when completed, correct?  Also, how far back are they now going?  Will the warehouse space in the back of that lot remain?

Actually, I had that wrong.  The Garden Center building will remain.  I'm not sure about the Jackson Hewitt right at the corner.  Fern will be gone.

It is now 250 units, and I think only a single phase.  It does include the warehouse buildings behind the retail centers, but none of the Barnhardt plant.

I believe the developer is different from Faison (who originally had the site under contract)  Tribridge out of Atlanta I think is the developer, unless they are partnering with Faison.

I don't think requiring retail is the key necessarily.  The key is requiring space conducive to future retail: sidewalk level entrances and retail friendly floor to ceiling heights.  16' clear has been the gold standard for 100 years on ceilings.  

The trick is: if the market doesn't want retail now, and you have to stick residential in that space, will sidewalk level residential, with 16' ceilings, sell?

***I would support screens fronting the street if the massing allowed future retail.

Edited by archiham04

I don't know anything about this one either, but I did notice this morning that a soil's boring drill was on the property (between Beaver and the Tracks), and all of the signage for the buildings on the property (Fitness place) has been removed.

Wasn't there a rezoning sign up for this development at one point?

Actually, I had that wrong.  The Garden Center building will remain.  I'm not sure about the Jackson Hewitt right at the corner.  Fern will be gone.

It is now 250 units, and I think only a single phase.  It does include the warehouse buildings behind the retail centers, but none of the Barnhardt plant.

They're in the process of subdividing and recombining parcels, which will create a new parcel for the retail building fronting Central that has Fern, Jackson Hewitt, the Garden Center, etc... 246 units with no new retail. Tribridge is the developer. 

So, atlrvr, when you corrected yourself on Fern was it because you saw something definitive that it will definitely be torn down for this project?   

It seems that creating a separate parcel for the L panhandle of Jackson-Hewitt makes a lot of sense, and the Fern/Something Classic would be part of the apartment project, but I am confused by the conflicting statements here and don't see the plans posted yet.