Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't sure if this was mentioned already but the LuLu space is supposedly going to become a Pure Pizza.  I think there is one Uptown?  There is a lot of pizza places already on Central with House of Pizza, Pizza Peel, Fuel and Intermezzo.  I did look and it seems like it has good reviews.

I think it's technically in Sunnyside :)

Srsly though, from the ground I stop calling it Elizabeth after I go over Independence. Not sure what the real (or historical) boundaries are.

Edit:

Apparently Charlotte planning splits the difference. It includes that area in the Elizabeth boundary, but excluded from the Elizabeth area plan. http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Land%20Use%20Planning/ElizabethAreaPlan/ElizabethPlanMap.pdf

Editedit: It did get it's own pedscape plan, though... http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Land%20Use%20Planning/Sunnyside.pdf

Edited by tozmervo

I though that part north of Independence was originally Elizabeth.  But since Independence was built, and cut it off from the rest of the neighborhood, I guess we don't think of it that way anymore.  

Between Independence, CPCC, Grubb, and the hospitals, it's a small miracle that any of the original neighborhood exists at all.  Maybe that's why they want to fight everything?  

I think it's technically in Sunnyside :)

Srsly though, from the ground I stop calling it Elizabeth after I go over Independence. Not sure what the real (or historical) boundaries are.

Edit:

Apparently Charlotte planning splits the difference. It includes that area in the Elizabeth boundary, but excluded from the Elizabeth area plan. http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Land%20Use%20Planning/ElizabethAreaPlan/ElizabethPlanMap.pdf

Editedit: It did get it's own pedscape plan, though... http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Land%20Use%20Planning/Sunnyside.pdf

The people that live there are very adamant that they are part of Elizabeth. I've always heard there was some resentment about the freeway-ing of Independence that has carried through the years.

We all know Elizabeth was first built before anyone had dreamed of Independence - so back then it would have felt more natural to call the Sunnyside area Elizabeth since things hadn't been sliced up yet.

Historically the boundaries were 7th, the railroad, Central, and Louise Ave. keep in mind that Louise and Seigle were the more important north south connections at the time because they were the connection across the railroad to Belmont. Hawthorne had not been extended to Parkwood and Kings had not been extended to Central.

The area behind Presbyterian along 5th, Greenway Ave, etc were part of a subdivision called Rosemont that extended down to the creek to Kenmore. Vail to the south was part of Colonial Heights, and it hadn't been split up by Randolph Road's construction yet.

It's interesting how things evolve. Obviously today everything in the area I described between Randolph and Central is unquestionably a part of Elizabeth.

Anyone have any idea what they are doing at the corner of Commonwealth Ave and Woodland Dr.? There is a lot of construction down that way, both residential and commercial... 

Briarcreek Market

Upfit vacant building to a convenience store (no fuel). Additional Comments: Interested in need for loading zone and parking requirements. Existing parking lot and site conditions limit what we can do.

Maybe this?

I don't ever go that far down Commonwealth.

Relatively constructive.  Close by neighbors are mostly worried about the parking. Its the usual stuff that increased density brings: traffic, parking, privacy... I guess this one is kind of different because the property was supposed to be "preserved" for historic reasons.... now its not ...   or IS being preserved depending on your prospective.  Did I say preserved, or perversed....

• Like 1

I saw surveyors on site for the apartment complex bordered by Central, Clement, and the railroad tracks this week.

The pawn shop there looked like it was empty.

Also, the parking deck they're putting in at the corner or Central, 10th, and Louise is HUGE. I didn't realize the project was going to be as tall as it is. Definitely out of scale with the neighborhood.

Drakeford Development is potentially planning a townhouse development on both sides of the 2100 block of McClintock.  This is the same developer who built the condos on McClintock across from the Harris Teeter.  I assume that means he's got agreements with all of the homeowners  for the purchase of their lots.  It's early in the planning stages and will required a rezoning.  I don't see where a petition has been filed yet.  I know it will meet some resistance from neighbors as there are concerns about traffic, and the effects on remaining single-family home owners as the neighborhood appears to be gradually nibbled away for apartments/rentals.  It will be interesting if the units are intended to be for sale or rentals only.   

Also, I note that Levine's apartments development on Commonwealth appears to be in a lull now that the demolition and clearing of the lots has been completed.   I know it's only been a week at the most since the last of the steel frame of the old warehouse was removed but with every day that goes by without seeing guys in construction hats out there doing something I get more paranoid that he's caught a cold and decided to pursue the same game plan as with first ward - i.e.,  turn it into a parking lot for a decade or more. 

I am not 100% sure but supposedly a Five Guys will go in between Yama and Healthy Home Market.  Anyone else hear this?

I hadn't heard that, but I just got a rendering of the new patio being built at Central Square. 

ce6ad15b5cf94b7c9418f25830657382.jpg