Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Ok, that makes sense.   I really doubt the owner's budget would include a line item for useless things like landscaping.  Plus that bit of green could potentially obstruct the view of the parking lot and destroy the ambience the owner has so thoughtfully created and preserved over the years.

• Like 1

^^ so my big question is: Did the dining area get shelved when the nailed down HHM as a tenant, or is this going to go forward?

Its still planned. On Acela its called "Healthy Home Market Patio" 

Healthy Home Market Outdoor Patio

existing parking and asphalt to be removed along front side of existing building and replaced with poured concrete patio. Patio will also contain bike racks, seating, and planter walls.

It  was approved in November so I wonder what is happening with it now.

Edited by Guest

I am not 100% sure but supposedly a Five Guys will go in between Yama and Healthy Home Market.  Anyone else hear this?

CBJ is reporting The Penguin property has a potential buyer...could Five Guys be going there? I'd much rather a Chipotle or Brueggers or something go in there and Five Guys go in next to Yama.

CBJ is reporting The Penguin property has a potential buyer...could Five Guys be going there? I'd much rather a Chipotle or Brueggers or something go in there and Five Guys go in next to Yama.

I hope none of those places go anywhere near Midwood!!!! I'd rather a local restauranteur open something fresh and mid priced and unique. How dare you wish chipotle or brueggers on Thomas.

I hope none of those places go anywhere near Midwood!!!! I'd rather a local restauranteur open something fresh and mid priced and unique. How dare you wish chipotle or brueggers on Thomas.

this.

I can live with a Five Guys beside Yama (or maybe not since I work on the second floor of the Midwood Smokehouse building and it would be bad for my arteries), but not in the former Penguin spot.

I'd actually like to see someone new re-open the place as the Penguin again with a new concept. I don't know if that is an option though since I don't know who owns the name.

Maybe they could call it the Arctic Water Fowl  :whistling:

this.

I can live with a Five Guys beside Yama (or maybe not since I work on the second floor of the Midwood Smokehouse building and it would be bad for my arteries), but not in the former Penguin spot.

I'd actually like to see someone new re-open the place as the Penguin again with a new concept. I don't know if that is an option though since I don't know who owns the name.

Maybe they could call it the Arctic Water Fowl :whistling:

The penguin trademark is part of the auction. So yes someone can reopen the penguin as is. Hopefully someone with some soul will treat the old spot right.

Just read the article... Damn... I guess there won't be a penguin here after all.

Edited by Guest

Don't get me wrong, I love the uniqueness and urban scene in Plaza Midwood.  This is one of the main reasons my wife and I bought in PM several years back; however, recently, the vibe seems to have changed from unique and hip to more grunge.  To me and my wife, it seems this change correlated with the patio opening at Common Market (please remember correlation and causation are different :)).  

I'd be very happy with a local establishment or a chain establishment, as long as it leaned more towards the higher end spectrum of food or retail--compared to another establishment that's target demographic is grunge and loitering hipsters.  Something in the same range as Bistro la Bon, Earl's, etc. etc.

This opinion may not go over well, but I think it is important for Plaza Midwood to keep its hip, diverse, urban scene while also encouraging and promoting a clean, family oriented, healthy atmosphere.    

Don't get me wrong, I love the uniqueness and urban scene in Plaza Midwood.  This is one of the main reasons my wife and I bought in PM several years back; however, recently, the vibe seems to have changed from unique and hip to more grunge.  To me and my wife, it seems this change correlated with the patio opening at Common Market (please remember correlation and causation are different :)).  

I'd be very happy with a local establishment or a chain establishment, as long as it leaned more towards the higher end spectrum of food or retail--compared to another establishment that's target demographic is grunge and loitering hipsters.  Something in the same range as Bistro la Bon, Earl's, etc. etc.

This opinion may not go over well, but I think it is important for Plaza Midwood to keep its hip, diverse, urban scene while also encouraging and promoting a clean, family oriented, healthy atmosphere.    

I agree, but chain fast casual is not the answer. 

This stretch will be undergoing some change in the next few years, with the houses across commonwealth from the Penguin being redeveloped into restaurants and Brodt being turned into a brewery. With new apartments going in all over McClintock and Commonwealth, I suspect you will start seeing more higher end restaurants going in to serve a new demographic.

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this but here is the website for the new pool. Currently it is only open to people who live in the neighborhood. There will be limited parking so everyone will have to walk or bike to the pool. It will have a bar too:) http://oldchathamswim.com

This is intriguing especially considering the time frame.  I live a few blocks away but am concerned about the size of the pool and facilities.  Does it seem small?

Interesting...so what kinds of things can management do about this?

My friends and I have all decreased our patronage of Common Market over the past few years.  The crowd has gotten grungier and grungier.  Maybe we have just gotten older and more stuck up.  I kinda wish another bottle shop would open in the neighborhood.