Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Enlighten this non-beer drinker. What is Trappist-style?

I also think that it has something to do with the yeast strand...  Often times a brewery creates a microclimate for the yeast that ferments a beer.  From what I understand, the trappist monks have cultivated their style of beer by carefully controlling their brewery/microclimate (and resulting yeast strands) for centuries.  

Edited by archiham04

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think that it has something to do with the yeast strand...  Often times a brewery creates a microclimate for the yeast that ferments a beer.  From what I understand, the trappist monks have cultivated their style of beer by carefully controlling their brewery/microclimate (and resulting yeast strands) for centuries.  

thanks for the added info!

VanLandingham was one of the petitions presented to council last night in a re-hearing of their petition made last winter.  It did not look great for the pool.  Townhomes look like a slam dunk.... I wonder if they can line item veto the pool or if they have to vote up or down on it.  If they vote it down because of the pool, I think they have to wait for a few years before they can reapply don't  they?

VanLandingham was one of the petitions presented to council last night in a re-hearing of their petition made last winter.  It did not look great for the pool.  Townhomes look like a slam dunk.... I wonder if they can line item veto the pool or if they have to vote up or down on it.  If they vote it down because of the pool, I think they have to wait for a few years before they can reapply don't  they?

Yes, I believe it is 2 years before the rezoning petition can be resubmitted.  Can you elaborate on the "it not looking great for the pool?"  Curious about that...

most of the questions from council were concentrated on the concerns of adjacent property owners about traffic and parking generated by the pool.  There very little discussion about density or the impact of the townhomes.  The statements and opposition from Holy Trinity centered around the pool, and seemed to be most detrimental to the discussion.

Edited by archiham04

Is the pool such a desperately needed amenity that the project can't go forward without it?

Seems to me like just a bunch of unnecessary trouble.

I think the pool is something several hundred families in Plaza Midwood and adjacent neighborhoods want.  I am not sure what the procedural rules are when it comes to multiple projects on one rezoning.  My guess is that the fate of the townhomes and the pool are singular,  I think removing one would require refiling the rezoning request, but don't quote me there I am probably incorrect.

One of the reasons parking is such a concern is Old Chatham opened membership to other neighborhoods. Neighborhoods far enough away, like Chantilly, that they would more than likely drive creating a need for more parking. If the club had been able to pull from more local residents as originally planned I think the swim club would have a much better shot. To me the swim club was a bit of a smoke screen to get neighbors to agree to the town homes under the premise of also offering them something in return. 

We live a block away from the proposed pool, have two kids who would love it. I don't recall the exact price of joining, but it was substantially more than what we pay at our current pool (Shannon Park) and wasn't going to have a swim team (at first at least). Otherwise, it would have been a nice addition. I do agree that it could have been used as a smokescreen to limit opposition to the condos. I do feel for the folks who live across the street. A bunch of cars would certainly put a dent in the quality of life. That said, the owners have always been great neighbors — hosting several events and encouraging people to walk the grounds. In regards to the number of folks living close enough to walk, it's pretty substantial, but not everyone wants/needs a pool, so they really had to look beyond the neighborhood.

I was looking through some deed records just because I was curious who owns what in the neighborhood. Looks like 1419 Central changed hands recently to an LLC group named 1419 Central LLC.

The guy listed under the LLC (John Rudolph) was the one who built Plaza 25 behind midwood smokehouse FWIW

BTW....the Todd's flowers building is not going to be just a parking lot.  It will be an office building, though not the 4-story variety I initially suspected.  I believe it will be 2 stories.  Parking for it, and the adjacent existing 1-story brick building will be located at the rear of the properties.

• Like 1

One of the reasons parking is such a concern is Old Chatham opened membership to other neighborhoods. Neighborhoods far enough away, like Chantilly, that they would more than likely drive creating a need for more parking. If the club had been able to pull from more local residents as originally planned I think the swim club would have a much better shot. To me the swim club was a bit of a smoke screen to get neighbors to agree to the town homes under the premise of also offering them something in return. 

Agreed on the smoke screen. While it's true that there is significant support for the pool in the neighborhood, it's also true that there's a lot of opposition to it as well.  I just don't see how this site (even taking into account the parking lot next to Segen's) can even begin to support the traffic it will create. Even for "regular" events that the Van Landingham already hosts, it's frequently a mess. 

Does anyone have any knowledge of what Northwood Ravin may build here?  This parcel is not included in the larger plans on the development map...

GIS shows MUDD-O zoning... same as the rest

EDIT: probably 42 foot building height limit on this corner. I think they are working under the 2006 approved plan : http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2006/018_032/2006-026 approved site plan.pdf

Edited by archiham04
more information gathered

That whole area is going to be one huge mixed use development all the way out to Central.  NWR owns it all and is going to develop it incrementally over the next however many years.

GIS shows parcels  12902406, 12902405, 12902414, 12902416, as owned by Redus Charlotte Housing LLC out of Jacksonville FL