Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Does anyone else think Nova's isn't very good anymore? Their bread is still fine, but their pastries seems to have gone downhill a lot in the last 5 years or so. Maybe my expectations have just gone up after visiting several better bakeries.

If you're ever in Raleigh, check out Boulted. It's incredible and makes the bakeries seem very average.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nova's still has some baked goods that are stellar, but it has more that are lackluster. I think Archiham is right, better options have come to town in recent years. I remember thinking Amelies had incredible pastries, but now I'm not a fan. I always assumed their operation was just stretched so thin that they automated too many ingredients... but maybe my palate grew accustomed to other better places like Whisk & Wood (Not Just Coffee, The Daily Press), Central Coffee, Smelly Cat, etc. Hell, even Common Market's bakery items are worlds above Nova's and Amelie's. 

18 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

In general, PM feels disconnected between the several blocks along Commonwealth Ave, then the old retail strip, then the random assortment of stores along central toward Uptown. It'll take time, though it'd help if the city did a few courageous improvements. I suspect that they're so afraid that new development will come in anyway that they're afraid to waste money, which IMO is defeatist as hell.

YUPPP... That strange design is the main reason I don't go there. It's like they want me to sit in someone's living room with strangers. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

The furniture seems like it's off someone's curb. Dirty and grubby. The tables and chairs on the bakery side don't seem clean. Just needs to be cleaned and spiffed up. We need some gathering spots along that block of Central.

Looks like the lot at the corner of Seigle and Central is under contract. Zoned MF but I'm hoping for a Publix! Please, anything but more apartments. I can't face the Harris Teeter parking lot now -- what's it gonna be like when all the apartments along Central and Commonwealth are done?

I get bread from Nova's, and the coconut cake is to die for. However when I've picked up cookies for the kids, they seem stale. I do like their gingerbread men.

1 hour ago, ATxIn said:

Looks like the lot at the corner of Seigle and Central is under contract. Zoned MF but I'm hoping for a Publix! Please, anything but more apartments. I can't face the Harris Teeter parking lot now -- what's it gonna be like when all the apartments along Central and Commonwealth are done?

I get bread from Nova's, and the coconut cake is to die for. However when I've picked up cookies for the kids, they seem stale. I do like their gingerbread men.

Yeah that's 10th street, not central.

Where did you see that it was under contract?

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Would Publix do an urban-style store, like Fourth Ward's Harris Teeter? That would be a boon for the Belmont/OP neighborhood, but I don't think anything too huge would fit in. Or maybe it would, idk.

They can do them. They actually have, and are known for, better urban stores than HT. Whether or not they would do on in Charlotte is a different question. I would think their uptown location proposal would be ideal for an urban footprint. 10th/Siegle doesn't feel like a good place for a store to me. Not saying they wouldn't put one there, but Central gets more traffic than 10th so it would seem to be the more logical location if they were to put one in the PM-Belmont area. 

Their real estate committee approved a 28k square foot store for the skyhouse/n. tryon site, but they're now trying to get away from doing that size stores because their newer 20k square foot store is much more efficient, so I'd expect to see that size for uptown. For Belmont or PM, they would need to be positioned to directly compete with teeter, which they couldn't do with a smaller footprint store. I've brought them infill sites that they could only fit their 45k square foot store on (versus 49k) and they turned the site down because that store size wouldn't allow them to directly compete with the nearby 53k square foot teeter. 

13 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Their real estate committee approved a 28k square foot store for the skyhouse/n. tryon site, but they're now trying to get away from doing that size stores because their newer 20k square foot store is much more efficient, so I'd expect to see that size for uptown. For Belmont or PM, they would need to be positioned to directly compete with teeter, which they couldn't do with a smaller footprint store. I've brought them infill sites that they could only fit their 45k square foot store on (versus 49k) and they turned the site down because that store size wouldn't allow them to directly compete with the nearby 53k square foot teeter. 

I was under the impression from previous post the Publix uptown was dead in the water. Is that still the case?

Midwood School was on the consent agenda this week to be sold to the highest bidder as surplus property.  It was voted on, did not pass, but will remain on the consent agenda for next week, since the vote was 4-4 and one member was not present.    Many in the neighborhood are mobilizing to vocalize support for the entities who lease the building and to advocate that the building be kept in public ownership to retain the current tenant mix and preserve the historic structure.

Offers (to the schoolboard) on the property are reported to range from $4-7 Million

Complicating things is a reversion clause in the deed that may not give clear title to the school system to sell.  It may rightfully be the City's property based on the specifics of the clause.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

Midwood School was on the consent agenda this week to be sold to the highest bidder as surplus property.  It was voted on, did not pass, but will remain on the consent agenda for next week, since the vote was 4-4 and one member was not present.    Many in the neighborhood are mobilizing to vocalize support for the entities who lease the building and to advocate that the building be kept in public ownership to retain the current tenant mix and preserve the historic structure.

Offers (to the schoolboard) on the property are reported to range from $4-7 Million

Complicating things is a reversion clause in the deed that may not give clear title to the school system to sell.  It may rightfully be the City's property based on the specifics of the clause.

Do you know anything about the adjacent church property?  I saw on the google map that it is also for sale?

Good info on Midwood School.

18 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

..and then there's this.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/KennedySchool

Yes, Charlotte _really_ needs a McMenamins to sling beer and tots in thoughtfully (and barely) restored historic structures. PM should be the first location for it.

I stayed at the Kennedy School a couple years ago, it was great, but it still smelled exactly like an elementary school smells.