Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any info on what, if anything, is happening at 1212 Central? Drove by today and saw this construction sign for CW Construction, which looks to be an affiliate of Campus Works. Maybe it's a temporary upfit for to serve as CW's leasing office for their apartment complex? 

Midwood_2.png

16 hours ago, boochops said:

Anyone have any info on what, if anything, is happening at 1212 Central? Drove by today and saw this construction sign for CW Construction, which looks to be an affiliate of Campus Works. Maybe it's a temporary upfit for to serve as CW's leasing office for their apartment complex? 

Midwood_2.png

You're right, they are the construction arm of Campus Works.  Construction office most likely.  

^The developers of this are the owners of Hawthorne Pizza, for the last 15-20 years since they opened. They also own the single-story building on Central where Kickstand Burgers and Loco are located; they want to eventually build on top of them (maintaining the restaurants) to create office space; this would be in 5-15 years, they said.

They specifically wanted to keep the same amount of parking spots they currently have in the gravel lot (currently planning a few more), and make Heath Court over to Hawthorne a bonafide street. Apparently the storage aspect of it also allows them a bit more flexibility in every other aspect than a traditional mixed-use project. This is a pretty solid project, IMO.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

This is the nicest storage unit facility I've ever seen. Granted I haven't seen anything other than your typical bright orange and white facilities. I don't think i would have ever imagined one to have street level retail and a brick facade. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spartan said:

It's still a mini-storage unit with fake bricks. Having a token retail space facing the future Cross Charlotte Trail only makes this marginally better. I still can't believe this developer thinks this isn't a good location for residential.

You're thinking of the wrong location. This one is going behind La Unica / Kickstand. 

Just goes to show you that mini storages is where the money is at in areas that are booming. I would think people living uptown or one of uptowns hoods in condos or apartments need storage too! People who live in subdivisions have space in their house to store stuff. People who live in condos don't have this space and always needs storage!

26 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I'll take this thing all day.  I mean, I don't expect anything from a storage unit.  So for them to actually give one iota of a crap is a nice change of pace.

Not to mention it is transforming a gravel parking lot into covered parking and retail without really contributing to more traffic like more apartments would do.

Just now, Niner National said:

Not to mention it is transforming a gravel parking lot into covered parking and retail without really contributing to more traffic like more apartments would do.

Also, I frankly find the form of it a little refreshing, because even the most well-done large modern apartment projects tend to look the same from the 2nd story up due to the desire for balconies and a similar density of windows. Without having to take residents' views and outdoor spaces into account we get something a little more old-school looking like this. 

6 hours ago, Niner National said:

You're thinking of the wrong location. This one is going behind La Unica / Kickstand. 

Ah, my bad. These things all start to run together for me. That's actually a solid use for that location. Still don't like fake brick though. 

I am having to pinch myself to prove that I'm not dreaming.  I can't believe that the numbers work with storage units to pay for something like this - I guess if they own the land outright that could change things.

If there's a need and storage must be built then I guess this is a pretty good run at it combining it with parking and the long-view of their future plans.  Maybe they just want to operate at a break even until the next phase at Loco/Kickstand?

3 hours ago, radiosimon said:

Anyone have any updates on the building at 2101 Central? I thought council was voting on the rezoning a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen any updates. Unless I'm mistaken I understood it was going to be Central Brewery?

I was at the council meeting and it was approved. Reusing the existing structure and creating a brewery and pub room. 

• 2 weeks later...
On March 10, 2016 at 11:28 AM, archiham04 said:

or this:

Duling School (Fondren) Jackson MS

http://www.ccdarchitects.com/experience/corporate/details.php?id=65

I used to live in Fondren.  That project was awesome, and I wish it got more traffic than it does.  Fondren even throws a block party on the first Thursday every month during the Summer, and that's about the only time the tenants in that place get any business.  It's a shame.  Great example of structure preservation and reuse, though.

ETA:  the lone exception is Bablu Tacos & Tapas which is an AWESOME restaurant and will do EXTREMELY well in Charlotte.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/07/01/new-restaurant-in-the-works-for-dilworth-photos.html

Fondren:

Babalu-Outside.jpg

Charlotte Agenda article:  https://www.charlotteagenda.com/9275/details-on-babalu-from-owners-bill-latham-and-al-roberts-opens-in-february-2016-19-photos/

Edited by alb1no panther

That's a very interesting argument against cul-de-sacs. I'm assuming there's one proposed development in particular that has triggered this concern? The website doesn't seem otherwise concerned about the other reasons cul-de-sacs are terrible.

(the errant space in sac s is making me crazy)