Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Plaza-Vu open house thing today -- they had reserved 8 of the 36 by the time I left. The most expensive ones, the 2 bedrooms, were the ones reserved.

Also drove by the Central 27 project...not real sure about how that looks...it sort of reminds me of the 60's and 70's styled buildings being torn down on Elizabeth.

• 2 weeks later...

AIA Charlotte was recently awarded a $15K grant from the American Institute of Architecture to enhance the Central Ave Corridor. From their newsletter:

AIA Charlotte proposes a project to enhance the image, international character, urban design and architecture of the section of Central Avenue informally known as the International Corridor. The area represents a unique opportunity to increase public recognition of and appreciation for a burgeoning diversity and vitality in the city of Charlotte. We will work with the property owners, the business owners, nearby residents and the larger community to address the urban fabric and architectural issues that hinder the areas development. Priorities will include how to strategically build connectivity and walkability into an area developed in the car-oriented mid-twentieth century, how to address the economic void left by development leap-frogging out to a citys periphery, and how to build an identifiable image in the minds of the larger community for a place with little recognition but much potential. Preserving the economic diversity of the area is also a priority. We will help the community plan for the citys ten-year plan to construct a streetcar / trolley line from Charlottes revitalized downtown. Success along the International Corridor can bring further economic development money and attention to other struggling business areas nearby.

This is really good news for the Central Ave Corridor. I am glad that this local org is going to have hands on involvement with this area of town.

Now if someone can get about a $15m grant to make some of the changes they recommend ... I don't see those businesses having a bunch of extra cash and any new businesses that move into the area will probably not be quite so international in flavor.

You might be surprised how much money a lot of those businesses make. I don't think they will make enough or want to pay for all kinds of signage and other recommendations, but they might be more profitable than the exterior of the buildings would lead one to believe. I work with a lady that is very involved in the Asian community and the folks she works with own all kinds of businesses, mostly in lower income areas, and they are awash with cash.

It also appears that these areas are growing their international communities, and those in most cities tend to be pretty tight, so it would be surprising if new businesses didn't continue to be international.

Now, where the money for the recommendations from the study will come from will be interesting. I can't see that happening anytime soon. As you stated, though they may have money, it is doubtful they want to spend it -- that is why they have it!

Edited by Charlotte_native

This is definitly exciting news. What are the physical boundaries that the AIA will be working in? The "international district" is still loosely defined.

your right.... i would define it as central ave. from morningside all the way to sharon amity. but sadly, i'm not with the AIA.

Any update on the old Party Reflections site? last i read here Conformity Corp was no longer doing the project and now its going to be apartments. Anyone know the style of apartments that are slated for this property? higher end?

Thanks

I understand the project to be of a quality similar to Camden Dilworth between Scott and Kenilworth and priced similarly (although I can't tell you what that pricing is).

Construction updates from 10/31...

Central27:

287715642_1b70cc57dd_o.jpg

SteelHaus:

287715649_65f35248bb_o.jpg

The location for this sucks. I would never pay $140,000 for a small condo unit looking over McDonalds. This shold have been built along Central on the lot between Little Italy and Central Avenue News, IMHO.

Plaza Vu site:

287715644_57bdf62191_o.jpg

287715647_9802dfd92f_o.jpg

Also, there seem to be fewer people out and about at Morningside Apartments than have been in the past...

The best chance of getting them buried is with the streetcar project that can run conduit banks under the tracks when they are built....I believe they did this is Portland......now the political will of adding additional cost to a transit project leads me to believe that Charlotte will once again opt to take the cheap way out.

Camden Elizabeth maybe? The design's not bad, Furman did Camden Dilworth, so while predicatble, its above average for the area.

As far as pricing....Camden Dilworth averages $1.37 per square foot.

Ok, so its going to be designed by David Furman and managed by Camden? Thats good news! My understanding is there are two build sites next to each other. The one closer to independence/hawthorne bridge is the Camden site, and the other one is also being developed?

Sorry...I was speculating based on Conformity's post since he said it will be similar the Camden Dilworth....that building was designed by Furman.

As far as the site closer to Central, that is being developed into condos by Faison. They have already applied for building permits, and I suspect we will see it go vertical 1Q 2007.

I owned the site and sold it to a group of Summit and Camden alumni. They inform me that it will be similar to Camden Dilworth, etc. etc. I believe the last time I spoke with them, they told me they would build about 260 units. I believe Faison plans for about 140 units rambling over a concrete podium that covers the bulk of the site and under which same podium, cars will park....entering off Lamar.

Conformity has purchased the old AutoVerks site at the intersection of Commonwealth and Pecan. I would be interested in hearing UPers thoughts about their vision for that corner. Site is near the Diamond Restaurant and the rest of the Thomas Avenue trappings.

Edited by Conformity

Conformity has purchased the old AutoVerks site at the intersection of Commonwealth and Pecan. I would be interested in hearing UPers thoughts about their vision for that corner. Site is near the Diamond Restaurant and the rest of the Thomas Avenue trappings.

i noticed yesterday that place was empty. what a location! obviously, low to midrise with retail/resturant would be successful. room for outdoor cafe style patio(s) would be super. this neighborhood is active with bicyclists and pedestrians - so i think any thing that opens itself to the street would be another great addition.

also, i really like the design that you guys are doing with steelhaus... it's nice to see some modern looks cropping up in town, especially in plaza/midwood. this area has true eclectic character and is open minded to designs that push the envelope. wow... i really look forward to this project. what might you call it?

I believe Faison plans for about 140 units rambling over a concrete podium that covers the bulk of the site and under which same podium, cars will park....entering off Lamar.

Sounds like Tim Crawford's First Row Warehouse. While not bad, I'm not envisioning it to be very engaging at the street level, as I'm imagining the car parking will be only partially below grade.

It's a shame that there won't be any commercial space in these projects (I'm assuming) as the zoning only allows it at the rather awkward portion of the apartment site right at the bridge over Indy.

i noticed yesterday that place was empty. what a location! obviously, low to midrise with retail/resturant would be successful. room for outdoor cafe style patio(s) would be super. this neighborhood is active with bicyclists and pedestrians - so i think any thing that opens itself to the street would be another great addition.

also, i really like the design that you guys are doing with steelhaus... it's nice to see some modern looks cropping up in town, especially in plaza/midwood. this area has true eclectic character and is open minded to designs that push the envelope. wow... i really look forward to this project. what might you call it?

Thank you as to Steelhaus. Folks either love it or hate it. Mostly love it..."thanks for a breath of fresh air"....that type of thing. No idea what we will call the Autoverks project....maybe "CINCO"...has a nice ring to it...make it 5 stories tall....clever right???.....seriously, beginning my market research and appreciate your comments. Please keep them coming.

If this AutoVerks is the site I am thinking about you might want to think about going taller...around 10 stories. The skyline view from that height and location will be quite dramatic and a good selling point.

i thought about that, too.... but, if i'm not mistaken there is a massive billboard that might obstruct that view for most. i'm not 100% sure about that and will look next time i pass by. some height in plaza midwood would be great, though.

*the "cinco" name idea is really good... ;)

Edited by cinco

I echo these sentiments. I also remember seeing some renderings for this corner many months ago with a 4-5 story mixed-use - lower level retail, somewhat conservative, brick design. I'd like for whatever goes here to be unique - Commonwealth is such a cool street (of course I live on it). Any chance of picking up the Camera World corner? (love the store, the building not so much)