Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about VLE.  There is a PM landuse meeting tonight.  I'll ask a PMNA board member to see if they know anything.

Anyone know anything about the apartment complex on the corner of Hawthorne and Kennon?  Looks like they've moved the tenants out and are preparing for construction or renovation.

The apartments on Kennon/hawthorne will all be renovated and rented. The owner does a nice job gut renovating his rentals and then getting high rents for the area. He says he will get $1100-1200 for the 1 bedroom units. 

He said the owner of the corner store across the street was not happy to see the old tenants go!!   Will be a definite improvement for that corner

2 minutes ago, QClifer said:

The apartments on Kennon/hawthorne will all be renovated and rented. The owner does a nice job gut renovating his rentals and then getting high rents for the area. He says he will get $1100-1200 for the 1 bedroom units. 

He said the owner of the corner store across the street was not happy to see the old tenants go!!   Will be a definite improvement for that corner

Hm... that feels a little ironic. While I'm lukewarm on seeing neighborhood characters leaving, the silver lining for me would be a building that would go right up to the street. But now there's still a surface lot, and for a long time for sure. Eh...

On 4/5/2005 at 10:27 AM, atlrvr said:

Anyway, my take on Central is that anything on the other side of briar creek (the creek not the road) is not a great investment. It's still on it's way down, and has yet to turn the corner.

Stumbled across this today... There is a teardown on Arnold, and a little cluster up Cosby Pl.  

Also some teardowns at Commonwealth and Pinecrest.  

I think it's turned the corner... only took 11 years.

So VLE:no news ....yet... stay tuned.  Most assume it is under contract and going through due diligence so news should be eminent.

I'd say not past Eastway. The little nook of old neighborhood on Commonwealth Ave (that stubs out at Independence Blvd) and has one road that exits onto Eastway, is still a really cute area and has nice houses/bones. The other side of Central as well (near Merry Oaks) is cute and still somewhat connected to Country Club Heights, etc.

So that comment made me wonder when is it gentrification and not just  improvement.... that took me to the online definition of gentrificaiton (below).  

So based on that, I guess for neighborhoods that were originally middle class, but then dropped to whatever class and are reestablishing as middle class, they are perhaps undergoing "gentrificaiton"... but many of the streets and neighborhoods stayed middle class or at least they maintained their appearance of "conformity to middle class taste".  Are those streets "gentrifying"?

gen·tri·fi·ca·tion
ˌjentrəfəˈkāSH(ə)n/
noun

1. the process of renovating and improving a house or district so that it conforms to middle-class taste.
    "an area undergoing rapid gentrification"
    • the process of making a person or activity more refined or polite.
      "soccer has undergone gentrification"

I live just under the overpass in Chantilly. Would love a neighborhood hardware store! A neighborhood membership gym (not a CrossFit / Bootcamp / Boxing place) would be great. A juice bar or salad place would be nice. Moxie, Legion and Workman's Friend are all wonderful relatively recent additions to my daily orbit.

I was wondering about the Junior League Warehouse location and the other surrounding small businesses (Meineke, Sammy's). Is that all one parcel?

Here is a picture of the Gibson from this evening.   This is a disappointing project to me.  Ignoring the lack or retail, if you look at the color choices it appears they literally chose a combination of grey and beige.  No accent of color at all.  Yeesh. 

Gibson.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but it seems like Manor and Park is renovating the old church across from Whiskey Warehouse.  It looks like it will be restaurant space.  I can't click on the actual project in the link.

Manor and Park projects

Also, I haven't seen any progress with Sushi Guru.  I hope this is still happening.

Not exactly Plaza Midwood, but a permit came up in Accela to redevelop and demolish part of the Eastway Crossing shopping center. Looks like they want a streetscape on Central and an "urban open space". There was plans for a drug store at the corner of Central and Eastway, but I don't know if they were scrapped for something else. It would be pretty cool if they can turn this center into a more urban version of Cotswold.

• Like 3

The first 400' of the building look good in that rendering.  LOL.  Where's the rendering of the other 400'  from the other end showing the 10' tall Thirsty Beaver surrounded by 5 story walls?  So ridiculous.

I get the whole "battle for the little guy" thing, but it is going to look so silly.  Best case scenario is that when the bar goes out of business the building get's demolished and becomes a micro-park-poop-spot for the residents to walk their dogs.

• Like 1