Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Next to Midwood Smokehouse sorry I can't remember the names of all these apartments. Evidently the neon green is complete. 

CAM07569.jpg

CAM07570.jpg

CAM07571.jpg

More photos of the other new apartment community by CampusWorks and the little Thirsty Beaver. I actually like this shows Charlotte has character and I always root for the little guy. In this case the little property owner. 

CAM07572.jpg

CAM07573.jpg

CAM07574.jpg

CAM07575.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Next to Midwood Smokehouse sorry I can't remember the names of all these apartments. Evidently the neon green is complete. 

CAM07569.jpg

CAM07570.jpg

CAM07571.jpg

More photos of the other new apartment community by CampusWorks and the little Thirsty Beaver. I actually like this shows Charlotte has character and I always root for the little guy. In this case the little property owner. 

CAM07572.jpg

CAM07573.jpg

CAM07574.jpg

CAM07575.jpg

God. The lack of character on these buildings is astounding.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Libretto wants to reassure everyone: No, he’s not bringing another pizza place to Plaza Midwood.  Instead, Libretto and partner Mario Flynn plan to open a second Coaltrane’s Char Grill location in the former John’s Country Kitchen space on the corner of Central and Pecan.                                                                                                                                                 The space at 1518 Central Avenue has sat vacant since it closed in May 2015. Libretto and Flynn said they hope to have Coaltrane’s open by early summer.

http://www.charlottefive.com/coaltranes-plaza-midwood/

• Like 1

sounds like yafo #2 may be coming soon

"Scibelli and his team are in the midst of lease negotiations for a spot on Central Avenue in Plaza Midwood, the serial restaurateur told the Observer, though he declined to say where exactly the new restaurant would be. If all goes well, he added, the second Yafo would open later this year."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article137225888.html

2 hours ago, Crown said:

Mike Libretto wants to reassure everyone: No, he’s not bringing another pizza place to Plaza Midwood.  Instead, Libretto and partner Mario Flynn plan to open a second Coaltrane’s Char Grill location in the former John’s Country Kitchen space on the corner of Central and Pecan.                                                                                                                                                 The space at 1518 Central Avenue has sat vacant since it closed in May 2015. Libretto and Flynn said they hope to have Coaltrane’s open by early summer.

http://www.charlottefive.com/coaltranes-plaza-midwood/

This looks like a great project, specifically the building itself (though the food sounds great also).  Need more of this.

4 minutes ago, Crown said:

sounds like yafo #2 may be coming soon

"Scibelli and his team are in the midst of lease negotiations for a spot on Central Avenue in Plaza Midwood, the serial restaurateur told the Observer, though he declined to say where exactly the new restaurant would be. If all goes well, he added, the second Yafo would open later this year."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article137225888.html

I can only assume that it would go into on of the 1305 spaces.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Midwoodian said:

This is a pic from Friday of the office building on Central just east of Hawthorne. It's across from the Beaver. Good looking quality brick construction.

1c8cb7431d3903b99db970da22b606d2.jpg

This is great. I can't believe this is being built. It's so refreshing in its scale. Why the difference from this project and every other one? Like in NoDa a decade ago we got all of those small-block mixed use projects.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Midwoodian said:

This is a pic from Friday of the office building on Central just east of Hawthorne. It's across from the Beaver. Good looking quality brick construction.

1c8cb7431d3903b99db970da22b606d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is the building set so far back from the road?

2 minutes ago, Charlotte Guanxi said:

Perhaps future patio seating, is that a restaurant?

Atlrvr said he thinks it will be an urgent care clinic. So either it's going to be a grassy area or maybe some sort of parking? Kind of tight for parking though.

Edited by norm21499

2 hours ago, norm21499 said:

Why is the building set so far back from the road?

I run this way often.  It really isn't that far of the road, particularly in relation to its surrounding buildings.  I love that building so if it is a urgent care instead of a restaurant... well that is disappointing.  Still looks nice and fits well in that stretch.

All things considered, this is definitely a solid building, however I do have my gripes.  

Gripe 1: The "street wall" that could begin to be created by the buildings on Central will be compromised by the side setbacks.  

Gripe 2: The front setback (probably required by the city) does not match the adjacent similar use commercial building further compromising the future "street wall"

Gripe 3:  They appear to be maintaining access from Central with one, and perhaps 2 curbcuts.  With Alley access, this building should really be required to utilize it for vehicles and reserve the front for pedestrians. 

I like that they grandfathered the signage.  I think sign ordinances have gone overboard and regulated some of the character out of our urban areas.

There isn't an urgent care or clinic in Plaza Midwood currently so IMO this helps make the neighborhood more walkable. If you have to drive for all your services/errands, i.e. dry cleaning, doctor, shoe repair, hair cut, nails, bank, etc... and can only walk to restaurants after work on the weekends... it isn't really that walkable. You just live near some places to walk and eat food, but still use your car for day to day living. Having your services/shopping nearby, alongside restaurants, is what makes places like New York, Boston, San Francisco, etc...walkable cities. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3