Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, kermit said:

^I had forgotten how awful a parking crater that is.

It'll be all gone in 5 years, land is going at $2.5-3.5M an acre outside of uptown, the family will sell this for sure. Thats life changing amount of money. like $30-40M

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

What's going on with the base of Central27?  Could it support a retail conversion?  Noticed construction fencing up the other day. 

I believe they are just repairing the god awful stucco job they put on the place when it was built. The damn thing appears to be made of styrofoam. 

• Like 1

Heard at the neighborhood meeting last night that DQ is on the market. $$$$$  Possible implications for the mural in the works.  We also considered whether the neighborhood should chip in $ for said Mural.  Most wondered why the neighborhood should pay the person that created an eyesore money to cover the eyesore.

Edited by archiham04

17 hours ago, archiham04 said:

Heard at the neighborhood meeting last night that DQ is on the market. $$$$$  Possible implications for the mural in the works.  We also considered whether the neighborhood should chip in $ for said Mural.  Most wondered why the neighborhood should pay the person that created an eyesore money to cover the eyesore.

wait. My mural is in the works? lol. damn

14 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

^Amazingly that is not a parking deck.  That is the back side of a single loaded apartment corridor.  It is open air, and the cladding is 100% Cement Board. Beaut.

Interesting.  I always thought it was strange but have always been too focused on my blizzard to give it much more consideration than that.  I did subconsciously think it was too narrow to be a deck, but then returned to my Oreo/Cookie Dough/Caramel blizzard. Makes much more sense now.  A mural would most definitely help. It will be interesting to see what comes of the DQ space.  It isn't that big of a lot.

54 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

Wasn't there a post here only a few months ago quoting the property owner saying they wished to keep the DQ as long as possible because of its history/importance to the neighborhood?

Perhaps the city could buy DQ and keep it alive. I used to go there with I was a little boy and now I am far from young. It is part of that part of town and should remain there as opposed to tearing down another icon.

2 hours ago, nonillogical said:

Wasn't there a post here only a few months ago quoting the property owner saying they wished to keep the DQ as long as possible because of its history/importance to the neighborhood?

That was me. I said John Rudolph, the guy who owns the rest of the block, told me he had no interest in buying and redeveloping that Dairy Queen because of its history in the neighborhood. Plus who doesn't like having a Dairy Queen on the same block as their office?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

The new apartments at Hawthorne and Central and the Cramer property site of new homes. Does anyone know if that old Cramer home will stay in the new development? 

DSCN1591.JPG

DSCN1599.JPG

The historic landmarks commission purchased it. I think they put a deed restriction on it so it couldn't be torn down after they sell it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niner National said:

The historic landmarks commission purchased it. I think they put a deed restriction on it so it couldn't be torn down after they sell it.

That is good news and in this hot real estate market I am sure it would sell renovated. 

• Like 1

^^The House is designated, but it has not been purchased by landmarks yet.  From what I understand they are  working to getting construction cost estimates on their historic restoration plans.  Once they have that number they will weigh that against an appraisal.  If the appraisal is more than 20% under the purchase/construction cost they cannot move forward with the purchase.

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 1