Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, archiham04 said:

Developers presented the new VanLandingham plans at the quarterly meeting last week. Includes a "topiary" office building.  Basically a modern building with a giant trellis around it meant to be eventually consumed by ivy and vines.  crossing my fingers the hysteric review committee can see beyond the edges of their pages, rules and regs to find some subjective room to approve this.

Very cool.   So will the whole property become office space?   I know they are adding townhomes too.   I hoped for a restaurant but the topiary office sounds good too. 

There is a second 2 story structure proposed they are calling the “Carriage House” (not the existing one, but a new build) which will front Belvedere and “may” have retail on bottom like a bakery or cafe and office up top. Or it could also be all office. Sounds like they would like the retail component, but wanted to gauge neighbor interest. There seemed to be interest in the room at the neighborhood meeting, but I could see immediate neighbors making a stink over it. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GeauxCLT said:

There is a second 2 story structure proposed they are calling the “Carriage House” (not the existing one, but a new build) which will front Belvedere and “may” have retail on bottom like a bakery or cafe and office up top. Or it could also be all office. Sounds like they would like the retail component, but wanted to gauge neighbor interest. There seemed to be interest in the room at the neighborhood meeting, but I could see immediate neighbors making a stink over it. 

That’s good.  I always had a feeling the use for the site would be something the whole neighborhood could use and not just office space.  I guess I hoped for a restaurant.    I still think saying no to the pool was a bad idea.  

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 3:30 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

This is Plaza-Midwood's Faison-Cresent project. Smh

I think you are right the sense that it seems to drag on forever, and finding the right use for the site is challenging... but I don't think the neighborhood is or has been nearly as obstructionist as the Elizabeth neighbors were with 7th&Caswell.

Well, it was Inevitable. The pool supply company at the corner of Hawthorne and Central is relocating and majority of the block is being considered for redevelopment.  At risk are at least 5 1930’s craftsman bungalows owned by the developer

Edited by Carolina Ron

46 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

Agreed. Or maybe at least an urban Lidl or Aldi. This area is close to Belmont, and that part of town desperately needs a grocery store. 

Does it? I live in Belmont.  The harris teeter is like 1.25 miles away. Trader Joe's, whole foods, and food lion all within 1.5 miles.

I mean I'll take a public or Aldi but ive never felt like there was a shortage of grocery options close by.

• Thanks 1

Does it? I live in Belmont.  The harris teeter is like 1.25 miles away. Trader Joe's, whole foods, and food lion all within 1.5 miles.

I mean I'll take a public or Aldi but ive never felt like there was a shortage of grocery options close by.

If you wanted to walk to one, yes, very far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Those apartments along McClintock that were naturally occurring affordable housing, were built post WW-2 as housing for troops returning from war.

They were demolished in 2006-2007 for MECA Properties' Morningside Village plan, which was master planned by Torti Gallas.....it was lost in foreclosure in 2009.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...