Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/11/2019 at 10:14 PM, nakers2 said:

I may or may not live here, and I agree, this would be a coffeeshop or a Krispy Kreme, instead its a little "party room" that nobody uses. 

Do you think these amenity rooms will ever go away over time?  Replaced by retail?

2 hours ago, archiham04 said:

Do you think these amenity rooms will ever go away over time?  Replaced by retail?

Possibly, I don't see why they wouldn't to be honest. They could make a hell of a lot more money off of retail than the essentially dead space they're using it for now. I by no means think parking is a requirement for successful retail, but can't help but feel like concerns regarding people parking in the pick up/drop off area would be an issue, the actual parking garage is around back. 

43 minutes ago, theronhobbs said:

The 6 parcels across Commonwealth as well as the now-vacant CFD Credit Union adjacent site  are both owned by the owner of The Julien's property. Listed in Polaris 3G as "Golden Triangle #7 - Commonwealth LLC"

That's UP Charlotte's Golden Child's (Daniel Levine) entity.  I thought The Julien was a Greystar property though.

18 hours ago, theronhobbs said:

The 6 parcels across Commonwealth as well as the now-vacant CFD Credit Union adjacent site  are both owned by the owner of The Julien's property. Listed in Polaris 3G as "Golden Triangle #7 - Commonwealth LLC"

So was all the talk about structural issues and insurance money a farce?  or did they just look at the property value and realize they were better off selling than taking the insurance money?

21 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

I was told by a leasing agent at the Julien off of Commonwealth that construction for a new Julien style apartment would begin next spring. 

I hope they make some improvements...

Mainly (to me) the intersection of the Plaza and Commonwealth is a signature location, and deserves some sort of special consideration.  Massing to accommodate some sort of viable future street level retail on the corner would be logical. Julian is okay, but a pretty reserved building.  To me, the stoops on the sidewalk side seem a little stark and sterile, and the change from brick to planks for exterior materials makes the Independence side look cheap.  ...so i guess what im saying is I'd like to see better stoops, 4 sided architecture , potential for future street level retail at the corner and more ambitious architectural design.:tw_blush:

EDIT: Oh and if I'm making a list, I'd also like to see all curb cuts off of Commonwealth.  Vechicle access to the property should be on the back of the building or off of Plaza only please.

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

Mainly (to me) the intersection of the Plaza and Commonwealth is a signature location, and deserves some sort of special consideration.  Massing to accommodate some sort of viable future street level retail on the corner would be logical. Julian is okay, but a pretty reserved building.  To me, the stoops on the sidewalk side seem a little stark and sterile, and the change from brick to planks for exterior materials makes the Independence side look cheap.  ...so i guess what im saying is I'd like to see better stoops, 4 sided architecture , potential for future street level retail at the corner and more ambitious architectural design.:tw_blush:

EDIT: Oh and if I'm making a list, I'd also like to see all curb cuts off of Commonwealth.  Vechicle access to the property should be on the back of the building or off of Plaza only please.

I completely agree with needing to make that a signature corner with retail. I always felt the Julien is one of the nicer looking buildings, at least compared to some of the new apartments being built in the area. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a curiosity, but as I said above, I live in Overton Row, and I do like my apartment and the location, personally if finances allowed I would've probably gone elsewhere. With that being said, I went back and looked at the construction photos and comments on Overton when it was announced, and much of the reaction was negative. I'm just curious if that's the consensus now that this building is well and done?  I personally think that while it's a behemoth, the color scheme and brick give it at least somewhat of a Midwood feel, and it does have an imposing look coming down central, however I do agree that retail or restaurant space could have been more effectively established here, I use the common area on occasion, but not as much as I would if it was a restaurant or coffee shop (I think the Beav has the bar element covered) 

16 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Just a curiosity, but as I said above, I live in Overton Row, and I do like my apartment and the location, personally if finances allowed I would've probably gone elsewhere. With that being said, I went back and looked at the construction photos and comments on Overton when it was announced, and much of the reaction was negative. I'm just curious if that's the consensus now that this building is well and done?  I personally think that while it's a behemoth, the color scheme and brick give it at least somewhat of a Midwood feel, and it does have an imposing look coming down central, however I do agree that retail or restaurant space could have been more effectively established here, I use the common area on occasion, but not as much as I would if it was a restaurant or coffee shop (I think the Beav has the bar element covered) 

I don't hate the look, but it is an awful use of the space. It was originally supposed to have retail on the ground floor, and a fair amount of it, but of course it was value engineered because Charlotte doesn't enforce any standards.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Niner National said:

I don't hate the look, but it is an awful use of the space. It was originally supposed to have retail on the ground floor, and a fair amount of it, but of course it was value engineered because Charlotte doesn't enforce any standards.

Definitely was some value engineering done. The building itself seems solid, one of the reasons why I chose it, the Gibson echoed when we walked and I physically could feel the floors in the halls bounce as I walked. But some of the fixtures are kinda cheap, and it's clear that the "finishes" were slapped together, probably to meet deadline. 

FOLLOW UP: does anyone here think that Charlotte should encourage developers to use materials other than wood in construction? Nothing against wooden houses, but a buddy of mine visited from out of town (Boone) and he was shocked that such big buildings were being constructed from wood. The only comparable development in Boone is a large apartment block called The Standard (looks like it could be plopped down in Charlotte and be right at home) and it was built from concrete and steel. Honestly having been inside, it doesn't feel any different, but long term I think it might hold up to the harsh climate better, though Charlotte doesn't exactly have a paradise like climate either, especially in summertime. 

12 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Definitely was some value engineering done. The building itself seems solid, one of the reasons why I chose it, the Gibson echoed when we walked and I physically could feel the floors in the halls bounce as I walked. But some of the fixtures are kinda cheap, and it's clear that the "finishes" were slapped together, probably to meet deadline. 

FOLLOW UP: does anyone here think that Charlotte should encourage developers to use materials other than wood in construction? Nothing against wooden houses, but a buddy of mine visited from out of town (Boone) and he was shocked that such big buildings were being constructed from wood. The only comparable development in Boone is a large apartment block called The Standard (looks like it could be plopped down in Charlotte and be right at home) and it was built from concrete and steel. Honestly having been inside, it doesn't feel any different, but long term I think it might hold up to the harsh climate better, though Charlotte doesn't exactly have a paradise like climate either, especially in summertime. 

You can build a skyscraper out of wood (CLT, Cross Laminated Timber--I mean it's named for us after all....) if you wanted to, and we will likely see more of that in the future. Nothing is wrong with wood as a building material, just in the execution of the construction and the design of the cladding.

https://www.archdaily.com/916559/perkins-plus-will-design-the-worlds-tallest-wooden-skyscraper-for-vancouver

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLT> said:

You can build a skyscraper out of wood (CLT, Cross Laminated Timber--I mean it's named for us after all....) if you wanted to, and we will likely see more of that in the future. Nothing is wrong with wood as a building material, just in the execution of the construction and the design of the cladding.

https://www.archdaily.com/916559/perkins-plus-will-design-the-worlds-tallest-wooden-skyscraper-for-vancouver

A CLT manufacturing plant recently opened in Alabama, and the international building code has made some changes to accommodate high rise timber buildings. I think it's a matter of when, not if we get a high rise wood building.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2019 at 2:13 PM, Crown said:

Also interesting, this company has the 9,500 s.f. grocery space  in the shopping center behind it listed as available which I don't think is a mistake.  If you remember correctly, OH Community Grocery & Cafe took over this space from  Healthy Home Market.  Which it's too bad it's not contiguous with the gawdawful medical care place on the other side of ABC. It's well short of what a Fresh Market, TJs would ever look at.  What would yall do with that back strip? 

VqUZmeE.jpg

Organic Harvest, which opened last fall on Central Ave., closed its doors on Sunday, months after the grocer ousted its CEO.

via the observer: https://t.co/ZCygH1SWzB